Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coincidence?  (Read 2858 times)

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coincidence?
« on: April 24, 2008, 10:15:00 pm »

You decide. I was skimming through the Dungeons & Dragons 3.5 Player's Handbook II when I found this under the barbarian's battlecry entry. I'm referencing the second from the top, but the one at the far bottom is just cool. Too bad I'm a warlock in my group instead of a barbarian.

Am I just particularly dense today or is that where all of the others yelling "Blood for the Blood God" got the phrase from?

[ April 25, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Belteshazzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coincidence?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:46:00 pm »

Actualy it's from Warhammer. This is half of the chaos god Khorne's(one of the big four chaos gods to be exact) Battle cry and his only prayer. "Blood for the Blood God, Skulls for the Skull throne."

Warhammer 40k takes place in the grim dark future of 40,000 years in the future in which there is only war between the Imperium of Man and all other forces. All FTL Travel relies on entering a coterminous dimension of psycic energy and roiling storms of emotion and magic. The entities of this place are often malignant as foul emotions are more common and more powerful than good ones. One of the strongest of these beings is Khorne the horned Brass and Crimson trimmed deamon of violence and combat.

As Galactic Civilization has fallen into a dark age of violence and superstition he is obviously a very powerful being being fueled by the blood lust of many sentients(there are some notable exceptions!) The setting is basicly western fantasy in space with Orks, (Bioengeneared Angry Fungus of Warrrrhhhh!) Eldar (our decadent civilization of space elves was destroyed by the birth of Slannesh the God of Pleasure and Secrets), Knights/Space Marines (the Adeptus Astartes lives to serve the Immortal God-Emperor of Mankind), even Undead (skeletal soulbound robots of black living metal serve energy eating star gods who will harvest your souls.)

The setting manages to be very silly yet dark at the same time.

[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Belteshazzar ]

In the year 570, Kjerdregus occurred.

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 11:04:00 pm »

<3 Dungeons & Dragons

lol

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!!!

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 01:38:00 am »

Hahahah D&D will really steal from any fantasy setting these days, won't it?   (Not that Warhammer/40K are wholly innocent either, mind you)

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2008, 03:00:00 am »

Not just fantasy setting either... The [High-pitched yowl of a wild-cat] just screams of Ocelot   :D
Most of these were probably lifted from somewhere or other. Which were in turn lifted from somewhere else, ad nauseum, 'til the point where they were lifted from reality.
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2008, 06:22:00 pm »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! EVEN IF THAT BLOOD IS MINE!!!!

fleacircus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008, 09:52:00 pm »

Something originating with D&D 3E?  Har.

Vay'lon

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008, 10:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Capntastic:
<STRONG>Hahahah D&D will really steal from any fantasy setting these days, won't it?   (Not that Warhammer/40K are wholly innocent either, mind you)</STRONG>

Most modern fantasies took elements from D&D and Tolkien.

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008, 10:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vay'lon:
<STRONG>Most modern fantasies took elements from D&D and Tolkien.</STRONG>
Most modern fantasies, such as D&D and Tolkein, took elements from old myths, especially Norse, Gothic (or other Germanic), and Anglo or Saxon myths.

Not that there's anything wrong with this.  I, for one, am glad that Tolkein did the research necessary to steal so liberally from the eddas, sagas, myths and folklores of bygone epochs.

Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

I have belatedly realized that this would be better suited for either "Other Games" or "Various Nonsense." Sorry about that.

That being said, how was I to know that the writers of D&D didn't have the creativity to write their own lines, even so few lines as that?

No matter who stole from whom, it's still fun. You can't create a fantasy game without ripping someone off. Not to mention, this ripping off of myths probably brought them to light for some people and gave those people reason to study the (what they thought to be) boring stuff the old pagans believed.

[ April 26, 2008: Message edited by: Mephisto ]

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2008, 12:36:00 am »

In my opinion origonal ideas do exist, they are rediculusly rare.  These days ya aren't really expected to have something completely origonal anyway I figure.  People probably want something similar to what they already know, not something completely alien.  

What would sell better to the general non-dnd playing public?  A book about a minotaur or a book about something akin to an Aboleth?

Disclaimer: Everything I said should be taken with a grain of salt.  I ain't no psychology major.

EDIT: It's too durn late. I'm making grammar mistakes even I don't make often.

[ April 26, 2008: Message edited by: Greiger ]

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2008, 01:14:00 am »

Americans have a saying don't they? Mmm... something along the lines of everything having been done by the Simpsons.

Non-originality isn't so bad when it leads to interesting ends. That's just advertising. The chief mistake is trying to claim what isn't yours to be.

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2008, 01:36:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Belteshazzar:
<STRONG>The setting is basicly western fantasy in space with Orks, (Bioengeneared Angry Fungus of Warrrrhhhh!)[ April 24, 2008: Message edited by: Belteshazzar ]</STRONG>

Warrrrhhhh? Don't you mean WAAAAAAAAAAAGH? CUZ ORKS WUZ MADE FOR FIGHTIN' AN' WINNIN', YA GIT! DAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKADAKKA

Warrhammer orks are the best orks.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2008, 01:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by umiman:
<STRONG>...something along the lines of everything having been done by the Simpsons...</STRONG>

Nope, that's Southpark.
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 02:12:00 am »

Pretty sure there was an episode on Southpark where one of the characters was trying to find something that the Simpsons haven't done before.

Here we go: http://www.planearium.de/scripts-607.htm