Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Obtaining a dump of the wiki  (Read 31421 times)

xaldin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining a dump of the wiki
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 02:00:17 pm »

So far looks like no ZIM file. Kinda unfortunate given that the only tools that I can find to read the current format cannot follow a link/redirect. Given the extreme redirect nature of the wiki with all the version namespaces it makes it very frustrating to use.

Dr. Hellno

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 02:14:46 am »

If WikiTaxi is giving you redirect problems, I have an imperfect suggestion. Unzip the bz2 file, and open the xml in notepad or whatever. Then find-replace all instances of
"#REDIRECT [[cv"
with
"#REDIRECT [[DF2012"
(don't include the quotation marks)
then zip that sucker back up with 7zip or whatever you like.

WikiTaxi handles redirects fine, just not that "CV" part. I guess it's a variable that the DF Wiki replaces with the current version, DF2012 at the moment. Wikitaxi just reads it as a non-existent namespace.
(I know nothing about wikis. what's a namespace even?)

This should fix most (though not all) broken redirects, and makes browsing a hell of a lot more natural.
Tabbed browsing would be so nice though. But I guess that's just greedy.

Nosthula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 11:26:18 am »

The current dump is for 34.07.  Is there a plan to update the dump files to the current release?

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 07:44:01 am »

I used HTTrack before reading this thread because I couldn't figure out the whole dumps thing.

(I often have no intertron access, which is a recent thing so I've been exploring offline computing. I've also begun packing DF onto a flashdrive to play at work. It's been slow at work.)

The wiki is bigger than I expected, so it took forever (HTTrack downloads at a low bitrate, I guess)
1.97 GB after cutting out user pages and pages from the previous versions.

All the internal links seem to work great, however, the search does not work at all - which is a little frustrating.

Being as I burned so much time and bandwidth on this download, I would like to be able to fix that if anyone knows how - otherwise I suppose the only option is this Wikitaxithing which unfortunately relies on waiting to be updated to stay current. (edit)I think I read it updates every day all automaticlike(/edit)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:45:53 am by katwithk »
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 08:29:29 am »

So wikitaxi is a much less frustrating, much more practical, and much smaller solution to offlien wiki-browsing than HTTrack.

However
(there is always a but, isn't there?)

The xml dump seems to be for last version's wiki.

Which, for most purposes, is fine - but I would like to be operating on intel I am sure is as close to accurate as I can get it.

So I guess my question here is thus: Who do I whine at incessantly to get an updated dump?

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2012, 02:06:41 pm »

Are you sure? The dump is autogenerated daily and the one I just downloaded has all the main namespaces included
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2012, 07:38:02 am »

I'll redump, but at the time of that posting the dump I received was for .31.25, not .34.xx

EDIT:

Not only does my new dump seem to be STILL .31.25 (as a search for 'minecart' or 'wheelbarrow' yieds nothing), but I also have to fix all my redirects again. Thanks Locriani.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 07:41:51 am by katwithk »

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2012, 09:39:57 am »

There appears to be a problem with the process that moves completed dumps over to the download location.  I manually initiated the process, but I will have to find a better solution later this week when I have a chance.

I don't really appreciate the snark - the wiki has and will be a free resource that I devote significant amounts of my own time and money to maintain.  I understand it's frustrating, but you could have explained what had occurred without pissing me off in the process.
I am one of many administrators of the wiki.  Please use my user page (http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User_talk:Briess) on the wiki to contact me, as I check that more often than these forums.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2012, 09:44:43 am »

To be clear - the dump link is current again for today.  Automatic updates are on hold until I figure out why the update task is not atomically moving the files in question, but should be fixed when I have time and Emily's assistance in figuring out what borked.

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2012, 09:48:26 am »

*sigh* my apologies for any snarkiness.

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2012, 09:51:05 am »

It's ok.  For what it's worth, I am sorry you are having issues at all with this.  Also, I may attempt to include your find-replace suggestion as an automagic processing step on the dump here as soon as I can figure out what the file mv issue is >.>

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2012, 09:56:29 am »

You really are doing good work. I've just been trying to get a lot of both DF and non related things working and have been hitting my head against a lot of walls. It come out unintentionally sometimes :/

Babarix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2012, 06:13:36 pm »

I was looking for a offline Version and found this thread.
And i got a simple Idea.
A copy the DF Wiki Database running on your own local Wiki with XAMPP.

Ideally you just need to download a *.7zip and run a *.bat an you can access the wiki on your local machine.

I got everything set up, i just need the Database.
So is it possible to get a MySql dump from the wiki?

Nosthula

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2012, 09:50:30 am »

To be clear - the dump link is current again for today.  Automatic updates are on hold until I figure out why the update task is not atomically moving the files in question, but should be fixed when I have time and Emily's assistance in figuring out what borked.

Thank you so much for updating the dump!  :D

Locriani

• Bay Watcher
  • Locriani == Briess
    • View Profile
    • dwarf fortress wiki
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2012, 04:11:54 pm »

I was looking for a offline Version and found this thread.
And i got a simple Idea.
A copy the DF Wiki Database running on your own local Wiki with XAMPP.

Ideally you just need to download a *.7zip and run a *.bat an you can access the wiki on your local machine.

I got everything set up, i just need the Database.
So is it possible to get a MySql dump from the wiki?
No, for several reasons.
1. We use Postgres.
2. There would have to be an extensive data sanitization step (email addresses, deleted pages, etc are all stored in cleartext).
3. We use a number of custom mods so setting up a media wiki clone is not trivial.
4. the size of the database dump is HUGE. The XML dump is small because it only nabs current revisions and skips some namespaces.  The database dump for backups runs approximately 20 gb of working space.
5. The current backup system uses PITR backup, so the data is literally useless without the exact same machine architecture and compiled Postgres version, with all the same do settings.
6. The number and size of images stored is excessive.  I wouldn't be able to prune to just images currently on a page, which already is about 1.5 gb of images.  We currently have something like 8gb of images stored.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 10:14:33 pm by Locriani »
Pages: 1 [2] 3