Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Intentional were-fort?  (Read 1545 times)

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Intentional were-fort?
« on: February 29, 2012, 12:54:19 pm »

I haven't had luck with vampires and were-wolves in fort play so far, and so I'd kind of like to force my entire fortress to become were-somethings.

Zebras maybe?

So the current plan is to modify plump helmets to cause an injested syndrome that causes dwarves to become were-somethings.

But obviously, since were creatures are procedurally generated, it's difficult to reference them directly in code.

How exactly do I go about doing this? I heard I can generate a world, find the data for a were creature, and then reference him in the syndrome for the plump helmets? (Or a new plant that can only be eaten raw or something and causes were-ism, whatever).

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Intentional were-fort?
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 12:59:55 pm »

How exactly do I go about doing this? I heard I can generate a world, find the data for a were creature, and then reference him in the syndrome for the plump helmets? (Or a new plant that can only be eaten raw or something and causes were-ism, whatever).
I believe this would work (though I'm not 100% on that). Alternatively you could create your own were-creature in the raws and then reference that creature with your syndrome. Though this means you will always get the same type of were-creature, it also means that it will work every time you generate a new world without any problems or extra work.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 01:03:43 pm »

Where would I find a copy of the were-creature syndrome in an already generated world's raws, and how would I reference it in a plant's syndrome?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 01:08:53 pm »

The only way that I know of would be to generate a world and then crack open the world.dat file to see how they were referenced in-game. It's a big hassle, which is why I personally suggest that you simply make your own were-creature and use that instead. As for the syndrome I don't know that much right there at the moment personally, so I can't help you that much on how to exactly set it up.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

PlumpHelmetDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 01:44:35 pm »

Quietust on the wiki has a php script which will extract the forgotten beasts and interactions into text files within your save folder. It can be found here, near the bottom of the page.

Thelogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:31:37 am »

Modding in a generic werewolf creature and then coding in a plant that makes a booze that gives the werewolf syndrome worked perfectly.

Code for the plant:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)