Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach  (Read 55186 times)

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach
« on: February 18, 2012, 03:47:13 am »

My first fort of DF2012 has hit a snag. A badly timed creeping dust storm converted 20 war dogs and 11 livestock into "Creeping Dust Husks". I managed to save all but 2 of my dwarves by quickly walling off the sole entrance to my fort. With my remaining dwarves I have decided to convert Voidbreach into a dwarven science research station, as there seems to be no available info on this new form of undead. I hope that the info I find will eventually be used to update the Magmawiki. At least if Husks are and different than other zombies. I profess to know very little about the preexisting undead.

Current findings:
Husks will not be on the map when you embark. They originate from various freakish weathers.
-Husks are NOT contagious, but the substance that they originate from is. Avoid dust covered Husks until a rain storm/waterfall cleans them.
-Husks are VERY durable. I've only seen one die. There is a Ewe Husk missing all of its limbs still writhing around chasing migrants.
-Husks (at least initially) HATE each other. Most of my husks are missing tons of body parts from long battles with each other. These battles eventually end and it seems they no longer attack each other at some point. Too crippled perhaps? Or evidence of progressive hive mind behavior?
-Husks can give birth if pregnant during turning.
-Husks can go insane
-Husks will only attack if they are relatively close to their prey and can see them. Even if every other Husk on the map is chasing said prey.
-Husks seem to be immune to headshots. This makes Husks one of the most horrifying enemies in the game.
-Only the main body of a Husk is a Husk.
-Husks keep the abilities they had in life. That legendary axedwarf will rape your fortress if he gets Husked.

State of Voidbreach
-Unleashed the HFS. Husks more or less won. Only a few demons survived due to the insane amount of webs they spread over the map during the battle. The main fort had 25 ecstatic dwarves with a virtually unlimited food supply. They watch the demons and undead fight every evening as entertainment. Happily ever after and all that jazz.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:30:21 am by Schizotek »
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: Husk Science: The eternal siege of Voidbreach
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 03:57:39 am »

Do husks have a weakness? Blunt or sharp?
Can they drown? Can they burn?
Do husk creatures (such as GCS) still carry their abilities?
Is it possible to capture evil mist (or whatever procedurally generated name they get) to unleash later on?
Is there anything immune to evil mist? FB? Clowns? Vampires?
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

trees

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUNDANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 04:03:20 am »

Here's some generated raws of mist that causes enthrallment, to aid in your scientific endeavors. Extracted with this script by Quietust. Everything beginning with "CE_" is the important bit.

Code: [Select]
inorganic_generated
[OBJECT:INORGANIC]
[INORGANIC:EVIL_CLOUD_3]
[GENERATED]
[SPECIAL]
[STATE_NAME:ALL:cursed fog]
[STATE_ADJ:ALL:cursed fog]
[STATE_COLOR:ALL:SPRING_GREEN]
[DISPLAY_COLOR:2:0:1]
[MATERIAL_VALUE:1]
[SPEC_HEAT:4181]
[IGNITE_POINT:NONE]
[MELTING_POINT:NONE]
[BOILING_POINT:NONE]
[HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
[COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10000]
[MOLAR_MASS:1]
[TEMP_DIET_INFO:SLIME]
[ENTERS_BLOOD]
[SYNDROME]
[SYN_NAME:cursed fog sickness]
[SYN_AFFECTED_CLASS:GENERAL_POISON]
[SYN_INJECTED]
[SYN_CONTACT]
[SYN_INHALED]
[SYN_INGESTED]
[CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:165:3:0:0:FREQUENCY:2000:1000:START:0]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:cursed fog husk:cursed fog husks:cursed fog husk:START:0]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:300:1000:TOUGHNESS:300:1000:START:0]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:0]
[CE_REMOVE_TAG:HAS_BLOOD:TRANCES:LIKESFIGHTING:MISCHIEVIOUS:START:0]
I am often bad at phrasing things - don't hesitate to ask for clarification if something I said doesn't make sense.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 04:09:26 am »

Husks are more vulnerable to sharp weapons as far as I can surmise. This is due to amputation being their only "weakness" as far as I've seen. Still trying to figure out if head/brain destruction is an instakill on them. Testing is a lengthy laborious process, as my single soldier rarely gets in more than a few hits before being turned. They do not rot, so I assume they can still burn. Drowning is an unknown. Will build a drowning trap in the caverns and a system to transport the evil bastards down there.
The dust storm is uncollectable as it dissipates on its own.
I assume the typical undead immunities apply to Clowns. I'll hope for a FB and a vamp migrant for the last two questions.
Imagine the will it took to create a fortress like this. And what have you elves built? Nothing. You can only loot and break. You're not dwarves!! You're just termites at Versailles.

It's not that I don't suffer, it's that I know the unimportance of suffering, I know that pain is to be fought and thrown aside, not to be accepted as part of one's soul and as a permanent scar across one's view of existence.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:12:05 am »

Would the "no connections for movement" tag mean that head destruction of the brain is pointless?

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:16:09 am »

Would the "no connections for movement" tag mean that head destruction of the brain is pointless?

No, that's what [NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT] is for.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 10:50:54 am »

Well they can't bleed out like conventional zombies then, so killing them until they stay dead is not a good option.

Did the elves/goblins turn into husks upon contact with the husks, upon biting or just being near them?

Genoraven

• Bay Watcher
  • 4 Ichy Tasty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:32 am »

Oh god. This is terrifying.
Urist McPeasant cancels point and laugh at Philosopher - Philosopher no longer exists.
Philosopher cancels job: abstractualize existence: interrupted by personal nonexistence.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 11:24:13 am »

So, from current research, Husks are impossible to kill with weapons. Is this correct?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 11:27:21 am »

It seems the you must be physically wounded to turn into a husk. I had a legendary speardwarf last quite awhile against a swarm of about 20. Then he got a bruised leg. Goods news is that he still hates Husks. Suggested strategy for tradional combat methods is to drop in a heavily armored sword/axe dwarf in on his own, as in groups you'll eventually get one turned and then he'll slice your army a new one. Don't bother training marksdwarves, despite Husks making great target practice, as everything above ground will soon be a Husk.
I believe that, short of excessive dismembering, Husks are effectively immune to normal combat.
If you embark on a site with Creeping Dust ensure quickly that all parts of your fort, even theoretically "outdoors" areas are airtight. Make sure your fort can be closed off from the outside world at the drop of a hat. Kill ALL animals you were foolish enough to bring with you. A kitten is as dangerous as a bear when its an immortal plague machine. Plan on having a relatively small fort. One day RNG will make a cloud pass over an invasion force or a horde of migrants. You will never receive another migrant once this happens, as they will be quickly huskified.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:32:38 am by Schizotek »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:28:16 am »

So, from current research, Husks are impossible to kill with weapons. Is this correct?

Oh they're killable, it's just they normally kill whoever's attacking them first.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 11:33:02 am »

Holy mother of god this is probably one of the most terrifying things DF has ever thrown into the game.  It appears that Husks are immortal, endless, extremely contagious... sins against nature, which according to the raws, should maintain their equipment.  Caravan guards turned into husks will be, just...  Oh my god.

Your only defense appears to be cage traps, as [TRAP_AVOID] appears to be missing.  Once caged, I suggest 10x serrated disk traps in a grinder to test the endurance of a husk.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 11:37:32 am »

Meh. Insta-kill rains are much, much worse. Especially since dwarves have the time to reach the fortress before they die, and once they're dead they return as zombies.

Schizotek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 12:05:16 pm »

Meh. Insta-kill rains are much, much worse. Especially since dwarves have the time to reach the fortress before they die, and once they're dead they return as zombies.
Zombies are vaguely killable. These things make clowns look like pussies. Hmm...should test that....

Update: I've decided that Voidbreach has reached the end of its usefulness. I'm going to seal a single miner off from the fort and create a link from the surface to the magma sea and breach the circus.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 12:08:50 pm by Schizotek »

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 12:09:46 pm »

Where is your God now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11