Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Nagidal's ASCII tileset 32x32 for hi-res screens  (Read 4528 times)

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Nagidal's ASCII tileset 32x32 for hi-res screens
« on: February 18, 2012, 04:21:31 am »

Before I put this on the wiki page with tilesets, I'd like to let you guys do some playtesting with me and hear some feedback.

It's basically an upscaled version of Cooz's tileset with some minor improvements. The idea is to be very true to DF's default tileset, just bigger and in squares. There is a shaded and a non-shaded version of it. On FullHD screens this tileset can be used in windowed mode of 60x31 tiles.

Shaded version
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Plain version

Demo:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:15:33 am by Nagidal »
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

ciadude2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nagidal's ASCII tileset 32x32 for hi-res screens
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:53:12 am »

I personally don't use the ASCII tileset, but I think you did a good job on this. It looks quite nice. I know some players still only use ASCII by choice, so their input will probably be more valuable, but regardless, keep it up.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:58:26 am »

I wish DF was not affected by that frankly annoying "must have 80 tiles width at minimum" limitation, so we could actually be able to zoom in to greatly benefit from the nice resolution those kind of 32x32 tileset on smaller monitors.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 08:05:49 am »

Looks very nice, but i think im gonna stay whit phoebus.
(especially since i'd have to redownload the raws and all that :( )

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:38:55 am »

Oh dear, I did not realize that the minimum width of DF window is 80 tiles. A tileset of 32x32 is playable only on screens with 2560 px horizontal resolution. I wanted to make me a tileset for my screens which have 1920px horizontally.

Allright, back to Photoshop, I shall make a 24x24 variant of it and will post it.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)