Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tables! Tables everywhere!  (Read 18103 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Tables! Tables everywhere!
« on: February 18, 2012, 05:25:01 am »

So, I have been playing around with updating some mods, and wanted to test out how my custom race would handle in Adventure mode. 

I get plopped down in the starting human town and... notice it's rather devoid of any humans, even though legends says there should be about 5000 of them hanging around.

Exploring, I find... tables.

Tables packed wall-to-wall.  Tables flying out the walls because there are more tables than floorspace.  Tables jammed in every freakin' room.

I've found a couple cats, and that's about it, but the rest... tables.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Is this a bug, or was there just one absurdly prolific set of masons set to carve tables for all of freakin' time?
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Tables! Tables everywhere!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 05:27:31 am »

I think what's happening is each town's specialization kind of...overflows, into any available space it can find. I've found houses filled with leather goods before too. So I assume that town's industry would be furniture.

I don't know if it's really a bug so much as the state of town goods at the moment.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 05:57:10 am »

it's a warehouse. You can see it in the list for "interesting stuff in town" in T-mode
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 06:04:14 am »

No it isn't, it's every house.  And they all get listed as "abandoned shop" or "abandoned residence".

This city is supposed to have 5000 people in it, but all I can find is a single adventurer at the keep and a couple cats.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 06:38:11 am »

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage. This is not helped by the fact that due to tradition, people continue producing more and more tables. In the end, the original dwarven/human population dwindles to a small, persecuted minority, and the town turns to what we can see now - empty houses full of tables and more tables. It's scary.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:53 am »

That reminds me of the history of Frogstar B (in Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy),
where a similar thing happened with shoes

http://hitchhikers.wikia.com/wiki/Frogstar_World_B

:D

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 07:14:47 am »

I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage. This is not helped by the fact that due to tradition, people continue producing more and more tables. In the end, the original dwarven/human population dwindles to a small, persecuted minority, and the town turns to what we can see now - empty houses full of tables and more tables. It's scary.

Sig'd.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 07:50:02 am »

So, I have been playing around with updating some mods
Check your raws to make sure you didn't make mistake or stumble on some new nuance in the raws we don't know about. IT sounds similar to the bug that replaced all the grass with something else that duped raws caused.

Vharuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 08:49:39 am »

So, I have been playing around with updating some mods
Check your raws to make sure you didn't make mistake or stumble on some new nuance in the raws we don't know about. IT sounds similar to the bug that replaced all the grass with something else that duped raws caused.

This has happened in my game as well, and the only changes I made to the game were applying Ironhand's graphics.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 10:50:15 am »

Posting to say that this happened to me on totally unmodified vanilla. Default ASCII and everything. The only people to be found in the whole capital city were the leader at the keep ("the holy drool") and someone who I guess was a temple priest ("the sacred slaughter") who 'Prepare to die'd me and attacked on sight, also two goblin cultists randomly pissing around up in one of the many otherwise totally empty guard towers (could find no vampire anywhere). Even all the shops were empty, though there were very few even of those; probably 80% of the buildings were Abandoned House/Abandoned Shop, and every damn one - including the back rooms of the shops - were filled to bursting with tables.

Also after being attacked by the temple priest and defending myself I was suddenly an enemy of my home civ. Hoo boy.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 11:15:12 am »

That also happened to me as well, one of my cities was just full of metal tables, with the only humans being in the keep.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 11:30:33 am »

Its qiute obvious there was an overpopulation issue, and humans slowly evolved into tables so they could easily stack themselves in homes.

That table you took? KIDNAPPER!

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 01:07:13 pm »

I WARNED YOU ABOUT THOSE TABLES, MAAAAAN! THEY'RE OUT TO GET US!

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 01:18:33 pm »

think the population could actually be in the sewers/catacombs/dungeon?

perhaps the civ leader and peirst were night creatures, and killed the rest of the population, leaving only the bastard bandits in the sewers.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 01:25:12 pm »

think the population could actually be in the sewers/catacombs/dungeon?

perhaps the civ leader and peirst were night creatures, and killed the rest of the population, leaving only the bastard bandits in the sewers.

Bastard bandits? THey're heroes! Living down in the sewers, survicing against all odds against the oppressive regime of their town's evil leader. An underground resistence.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2