Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released  (Read 71427 times)

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 01:11:35 pm »

The stone list seems to have shrunk considerably. Without the ability to filter out sandstone and force them to use shale, my furniture will not be in matching colours. The horror!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 01:13:24 pm »

Just a quick question, which files did actually change from 34.1 to 34.2 ?

There are tools to easily find what files changed between two folders, and then merge/copy changes you want.
Personally I use WinMerge, compare new DF folder with old one, and then merge my custom changes (usually init params and worldgen params) to the folder with new DF.
Takes about 3 minutes and I have all my changes copied.

The stone list seems to have shrunk considerably. Without the ability to filter out sandstone and force them to use shale, my furniture will not be in matching colours. The horror!

I kinda liked the extended (z)->stones list containing all stone types. You could easily force your masons to use only a certain stone.
But the list was getting very long so having it fixed is actually a good thing.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:26:21 pm by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Kordanor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 01:34:33 pm »

Thanks for the update.

I am not sure if you tried to speed up world generation by any of these changes.
However with the new build it is still not possible to creat large worlds with much more than 250 years of history.
Not just that it takes very long until it would be finished, the game still uses about 4-5MB for each year of history (in the beginning). So without the memory change thingy it will never survive that.
Besides of that after year 150 for every additional ~ 10 years the calculation generation time for an additional year increases by 50%, reaching 10 minutes for my machine at year 190 to 200, and 16 minutes from 200 to 210. If I am not wrong that would make some billion real life years to calculate the 1050 year history. So...if it's not possible to speed up this process I would suggest to disable the option to use Very Long and Long (still some hundred years of calculation) for the world generation with big worlds as it's also quite hard to stop the process once it takes several minutes per year to load.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 01:42:01 pm »

Would it be possible for me to mod the swarms of giant mosquitoes back in, or was that hardcoded?

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 01:54:12 pm »

So when you say wagons are back in, you mean the caravans will arrive by wagon instead of by donkeyback again?

This actually hampers my security methods, oh well  ;D
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 02:38:56 pm »

I am at year 476! Only 74 more to go.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 02:47:42 pm »

Would it be possible for me to mod the swarms of giant mosquitoes back in, or was that hardcoded?

You can go to their raw and change the cluster number tag to a much higher number if you like.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 02:49:19 pm »

They don't collapse, I don't think, so they'd probably need to be beheaded if they have heads or bifurcated and otherwise you are in trouble.  The pulping calls again.

There's a bug report about invincible husks, although I think the reporter might not have been using any edged weapons.

Pulping is a feature I can't get soon enough.  I miss the 40d days of "It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!"  Rotten-ness should make the tissue materials more squishy, to facilitate the smashing of zombie heads.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:53:51 pm by Footkerchief »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 03:06:58 pm »

They don't collapse, I don't think, so they'd probably need to be beheaded if they have heads or bifurcated and otherwise you are in trouble.  The pulping calls again.

There's a bug report about invincible husks, although I think the reporter might not have been using any edged weapons.

Pulping is a feature I can't get soon enough.  I miss the 40d days of "It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass!"  Rotten-ness should make the tissue materials more squishy, to facilitate the smashing of zombie heads.

Yeah, I agree. I'd be glad for even a hotfix for the current unkillable zombie problem. Giving each undead a couple of resurrections after which they don't get up anymore would be the best solution and probably wouldn't be too hard to code in.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2012, 03:14:25 pm »

Shouldn't be too hard, just change the values attached to the CLUSTER_NUMBER tag.

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 03:27:50 pm »

Yeah, I agree. I'd be glad for even a hotfix for the current unkillable zombie problem. Giving each undead a couple of resurrections after which they don't get up anymore would be the best solution and probably wouldn't be too hard to code in.

Honnestly, I'd be alot more happy with a belly full of- er

I'd prefer they keep there ressurection status, because there just is no more "true" undead in lore/games these days,  but they need to be tweaked at speed, so corpses can be managed.

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 03:40:23 pm »

Thanks again Toady.

Thanks for the update.

I am not sure if you tried to speed up world generation by any of these changes.
However with the new build it is still not possible to creat large worlds with much more than 250 years of history.
Not just that it takes very long until it would be finished, the game still uses about 4-5MB for each year of history (in the beginning). So without the memory change thingy it will never survive that.
Besides of that after year 150 for every additional ~ 10 years the calculation generation time for an additional year increases by 50%, reaching 10 minutes for my machine at year 190 to 200, and 16 minutes from 200 to 210. If I am not wrong that would make some billion real life years to calculate the 1050 year history. So...if it's not possible to speed up this process I would suggest to disable the option to use Very Long and Long (still some hundred years of calculation) for the world generation with big worlds as it's also quite hard to stop the process once it takes several minutes per year to load.

This. While I don't normally gen 1050 large worlds due to hardware constraints I could easily manage 250 large worlds very smoothly in 31.25.  However I don't know if this is just because the game is tracking so many more characters in so much more detail for the historical migrants feature.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 03:44:06 pm by Eoganachta »
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Zerkuron1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 04:18:34 pm »

I kinda liked the extended (z)->stones list containing all stone types. You could easily force your masons to use only a certain stone.
But the list was getting very long so having it fixed is actually a good thing.

Toady I miss the easy "other stones" management while they were shown in the stones section. On the other hand i can understand why some people think this list becomes confusing.

Could you divide the stone section in Economical, Non Economical and Ores? In this way it stays clean and clear and we have an easier life in control our masons and stonecrafter. I think this would change the whole stone management in a user-friendly way. I know this is Dwarf Fortress and user friendly interfaces are bugs, but I would appreciate this change.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 04:24:31 pm »

I am at year 476! Only 74 more to go.

The last 74 years took until this post - dual 3.0 with 1mb cache (way overclocked to get to 3.0).

I don't mind the amount of time but i can't imagine going to 1050.

528,635 historical figures
511,407 dead
4,888,642 events

Not bad for that amount of complexity.

Minute to minute and a half per year, it slowed down but the years seemed to pass with regularity past a certain point (rather than getting exponentially longer).
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 04:27:25 pm by Isher »

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 04:32:48 pm »

Thanks for the fixes.  Cannot wait to try um out.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9