Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released  (Read 71615 times)

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2012, 03:43:19 pm »

Seems it will need to be tuned down. Implementing diminishing returns (repetive happines gain/loss from same reason is less and less effective) would help too.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »

The new version is cool, I really enjoy this game and the work you do with it.

I do however think that one vampire each migration wave is a bit to much. Maybe Im just unlucky. Also because I havent caught any of them red-handed yet and most of them have really high conversation skills (think thats why they get reduced punishments atleast) none of them have been hammered yet. Just inprisoned for 200 days. Which means they will aggregate over time since none of them die in prison.

I am not running this version but the 31.01, however there arent any patch notes about the number of vampires per migration in the latest one so that shouldnt be a problem.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 04:39:35 pm »

I had one convicted to 780 days.

But you know that once you find out who the vampire is, you can effectively do whatever you want with him anyways. Just letting them sit out their sentences might be a bad idea. The most constructive way to kill them would prolly making them into a squad and sending them out as shock troops.

Maninblack144

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2012, 06:35:54 pm »

I think it's something to do with the fact that they're drawn from historical figures, and are often related, married, or have children. Dwarves get happy thoughts from talking to family members.

Looking at my 0.31.25 fort, that indeed seems to be the case. My chief medical dwarf, who has gotten 8 kids over the years, has a happiness value of just under 2000, despite one of them dying in a drawbridge accident and rising as a ghost. However, the migrant wave only had a couple of children, and the only positive thoughts are from making and talking to a friend, nothing related to relatives.

Another interesting thing: When a new migrant wave appeared, I checked their happiness before all but one of them was even visible on the map, and they were all content save for 2 ecstatic dwarves. I haven't really paid enough attention to this in the past to say if this is usual or not, but the both of them were the only dwarves from the group with any military skills to speak of.

Seems it will need to be tuned down. Implementing diminishing returns (repetive happines gain/loss from same reason is less and less effective) would help too.

I thought such a system was in place already, but the wiki is not very conclusive regarding the issue.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2012, 09:30:49 pm »

I am not running this version but the 31.01, however there arent any patch notes about the number of vampires per migration in the latest one so that shouldnt be a problem.

According to Toady you will likely run into different problems though if you continue to run .01. You should upgrade as soon as you can bear the loss of your fort, if you weren't planning on doing that already.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2012, 10:15:26 pm »

Sounds realistic to me: everyone I've talked to on the subject say that having kids made their lives infinitely better :)
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2012, 01:20:57 am »

Alright I will. To bad though, after surviving 4 sieges and 2 zombieattacks and two forgotten beasts I was beginning to like the place. If only it werent for the damn vampires killing my legendary workers.

Honestly though, they should kill the dwarves that has drained all blood out of another dwarf as punishment. It makes no sense in keeping the vampires around from a living dwarves perspective.

Sounds realistic to me: everyone I've talked to on the subject say that having kids made their lives infinitely better :)

Lets just say they make it out better then it is. It should be a positive thought but one that overrides everything else is just unrealistic. Romantic but unrealistic.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing Combat and Military Orders
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2012, 03:29:17 am »

While you are at it, oh Toady One, please do me (us) a favour: If I told my mighty army to kill that monster, and they went out with adamantine battle axes and shiny armour and wiped it from the face of the earth - please make them drop/cancel their orders! Or at least announce that the target has indeed been taken care of (or left the map, which might also make an order useless), so I can cancel the orders.

Just yesterday I sent my military down in the cave to kill something that annoyed my spider silk collectors, and as it took them ages to get there, I forgot about them while getting the walls done. When the goblins came, I found my military standing around a long-dead corpse, thirsty, hungry, exhausted in a far edge of the lowest cave...
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!

KillzEmAllGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Searching for the other sock.
    • View Profile
Re: Fixing Combat and Military Orders
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2012, 08:32:51 am »

Just yesterday I sent my military down in the cave to kill something that annoyed my spider silk collectors, and as it took them ages to get there, I forgot about them while getting the walls done. When the goblins came, I found my military standing around a long-dead corpse, thirsty, hungry, exhausted in a far edge of the lowest cave...
old issue said he will do the older ones after he fixs the new issues, Miltiary at this point is a mess unless you keep your eye on them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2012, 08:50:52 am »

While you are at it, oh Toady One, please do me (us) a favour: If I told my mighty army to kill that monster, and they went out with adamantine battle axes and shiny armour and wiped it from the face of the earth - please make them drop/cancel their orders! Or at least announce that the target has indeed been taken care of (or left the map, which might also make an order useless), so I can cancel the orders.

Here's the bug report for that problem.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2012, 11:14:29 am »

Are siege engines still useless?  Masterwork bolts bouncing off clothing, hits causing bruises at best, etc.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 11:24:04 am »

Are siege engines still useless?  Masterwork bolts bouncing off clothing, hits causing bruises at best, etc.

Probably, although it would be helpful if you (or somebody) could confirm that.  Here's the bug report.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 01:53:25 pm »

I'm absolutely certain it existed in 31.25.  I had a firing zone that was littered with wandering poultry, and they were surviving shots regularly; and I distinctly recall examining siege combat logs to see bolts bouncing off goblin clothing and leaving only bruises.

I haven't started a fort on 34.02 yet but I think I could rig a quick embark to test it, when I get a chance.  Place a meeting hall and pasture in front of a ballista and catapult and let them rip.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 06:11:26 pm »

yay! we're back to weekly updates!!  :P

By the way why the jump in versions from 31.25 to 34.01 - 34.02???

I was expecting 31.26....

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2012, 06:35:42 pm »

yay! we're back to weekly updates!!  :P

By the way why the jump in versions from 31.25 to 34.01 - 34.02???

I was expecting 31.26....

That part of the version number goes up when big, important features are added:

[...] on the subject of version numbering, 0.31 referred at the time to 31 of the specific dev 100 core items being finished.  Then we changed dev systems and the version number was on hold for a while.  Now it refers to being 0% complete done with a new list that counts for 0.69 of the version number, but the new slightly unsettled list pretty much corresponds to the old core items, so it's not much of a change.

DF Talk 14:
I mean, it's obviously taking a little longer than I thought it would but we're also going to be jacking up the version number an extra point or two because of this. Because this is all stuff, this is not just a random flight of fancy, this was all on our version one list anyway, so ...

I have a big list that has the point value for a bunch of things, because it was like ... when we went to version 0.31 and then we started making all those changes and then we did all the stuff like the first night creatures for adventure mode, and the version number just kept going 31.18, 31.19, 31.20, and we never increased it because we had moved away from that core one hundred system and didn't really replace it with something else so the version number was stagnant for a while. But now I've written down a list of all the things for version 1 with I think about .02 or a little more - maybe .05 - worth of wiggle room for whatever we might want to throw in there, but basically the whole version number with night creatures ... I think night creatures are worth like .005 or something and they all have various degrees and so on. I didn't want to put it up because we've had bad luck with dev systems changing. It's really nothing new, it's just trying to systematize the version number so I can think about it.

But yeah, if we're at 0.33 or 0.34 that sounds about right for next time. And that's significant, because we'd be crossing a third of the way through after nine years, so we'd be able to say in 18 years I'm going to be 51 years old and we're going to be at Dwarf Fortress version 1. That'll be great. Then I'll retire or something ... or just start version 2. And various other projects and stuff, it's going to be great. So let's see here, yeah, so it's cool, there's all kinds of things going on.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9