Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released  (Read 71585 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2012, 07:33:44 pm »

I just found out, am a little sad, that once something dies you can't view the description for it. Why was this removed? It's very annoying to not be able to view descriptions, if you're trying to get in the story.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2012, 08:31:05 pm »

Siege engines can't be totally useless, re: oceanshoots http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101795.75
However ballistae are blunt weapons, metal or silver especially bolts work best.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2012, 09:56:45 pm »

Front page says:

Still working on world gen. Made it a little faster, nothing spectacular (200 medium years in 10 minutes). There's more I can do there, in bits and pieces, but I'll probably go back to regular new bugs now for a bit, and then we can do another release.

I have to wonder if Toady is unaware of the bug report and science performed to try to find solutions to the worldgen problems, or the suggested solutions

If we can't get Toady to be aware of the problems we find, it's rather frustrating.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:11 pm »

Front page says:

Still working on world gen. Made it a little faster, nothing spectacular (200 medium years in 10 minutes). There's more I can do there, in bits and pieces, but I'll probably go back to regular new bugs now for a bit, and then we can do another release.

I have to wonder if Toady is unaware of the bug report and science performed to try to find solutions to the worldgen problems, or the suggested solutions

If we can't get Toady to be aware of the problems we find, it's rather frustrating.

I sent him a note about the werebeast hypothesis when it showed up on the tracker a couple days ago, so yeah, the sky is not falling.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 23, 2012, 10:57:53 pm »

i just lost my first haunted Embark, it seems a bit unbalanced that the dead
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
With only a half dozen zombies i had 2 guys stationed to cut them down when they rose, however despite the haulers getting scared away constantly by the freshly risen i had managed to dump 5 of them and all the assorted bits fallen off. But just when i thought it was safe some Ordinary animals spawned, were killed by the zombie guy as he rose and before i managed to dump their corpses they gang raped my soldiers. I conscripted my woodcutters but they in turn were cut down by my risen Miners.
Lots of fun, however respawn rate should maybe be toned down a bit, it should only be this hard with a significant number of corpses lieing in evil terrain, i shudder to think what would happen to my framerate if i had 100 zombies lieing about that were virtually impossible to kill and dump successfully (The other solution would be to make haulers less scared by stuff, but i think it's considered rather a large part of civilian personality) Perhaps soldiers could be given a command to dump specific corpses (preferably a list you could add to since i imagine it would get tricky to deal with large numbers one at a time)
Despite this i'm loving this version, i may embark somewhere with much less evil in it, maybe a single square which i could build a wall around, like a spooky graveyard i could use to train maksmen/etc.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 24, 2012, 12:01:56 am »

Siege engines can't be totally useless, re: oceanshoots http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=101795.75
However ballistae are blunt weapons, metal or silver especially bolts work best.

Actually if you read this post from that thread (open the 2nd through 5th spoilers), you'll see he is having the exact problem I am describing.  Just replace 'whale' with 'hen' and that's what I am seeing.  Metal bolts barely work at all.  Its not just whales either. 

I just tried a quick embark on 34.02 with 40 hens penned in front of a ballista, and a meeting hall zone behind that, and fired wooden bolts.  Of 12 targets hit, only 2 kills.  The one dwarf and horse that was hit walked away with bruises.  The vast majority of the time, bruising is the result, with occasional broken bones that resulted in a few dead hens.

Before anyone says anything about wood bolts, consider that wood crossbow bolts are plenty lethal to these sorts of unarmored targets.  Given the time to build siege equipment, the job skills required, and the fort design necessary to incorporate them, they ought to be pretty lethal.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:05:06 am by Werdna »
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

melkor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 24, 2012, 02:58:14 am »

Is it me or are all the miggrants soldiers.
all the migrants (16) all have a weapons skill and no labor skills.
am i just unlucky or is this the new way?
Quote from: Robocorn
what do postdwarvenists do with goblins?

Quote from: Andreus
We slaughter them by the thousands.
But... you know, we do it ironically.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 24, 2012, 03:39:54 am »

I just found out, am a little sad, that once something dies you can't view the description for it. Why was this removed? It's very annoying to not be able to view descriptions, if you're trying to get in the story.

It seems you can't use the relationship screen to view the descriptions of people's deities anymore either. At least for the dwarves I tried examining.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:01 am »

Selling an earring against mandate: Fatal beating.

Drinking all the blood out of someone until they die: 100 days in prison.

God damn nobles.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 24, 2012, 05:23:06 pm »

The king just arrived at my fortress, but he doesn't appear to be too concerned with hiding his vampirism. He has the Night Creature icon and has "King Vampire" as profession. In his entourage is also his wife, a dwarf with the "Sacred Prophecy" profession. Never seen that before.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

geoduck

• Bay Watcher
  • mollusk
    • View Profile
    • Geoduck's Page
« Reply #115 on: February 24, 2012, 05:45:46 pm »

Is it me or are all the miggrants soldiers.
all the migrants (16) all have a weapons skill and no labor skills.
am i just unlucky or is this the new way?

This is the new way. Lots of soldiers and farmers.
Geoduck's graphic set: simple and compact!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 24, 2012, 07:21:56 pm »

The king just arrived at my fortress, but he doesn't appear to be too concerned with hiding his vampirism. He has the Night Creature icon and has "King Vampire" as profession. In his entourage is also his wife, a dwarf with the "Sacred Prophecy" profession. Never seen that before.

It's good to be king.  Now bring me another snack subject, and be snappy about it, before I put you to the hammerer!
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2012, 07:58:27 pm »

Cant you just drop the vampire king down in a pool of lava? I see vampirism as a disease that, while not lethal, might become troublesome if you let it fester.

Also have to say that, while the last fort had 10+ vamps in the end, this one has none. 150+ dwarves and no vampires at all. Mustve been a god that liked cursing dwarves with vampirism somewhere in the world in the last fort.

Also began to love cage traps. Have them all over and had two sieges plus one zombie invasion where no dwarf had to even raise a weapon against anything. Zombies worst enemy must be a fort riddled with cage traps.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2012, 08:33:00 pm »

Cage traps are so good, it's almost an exploit. They do however add another layer of stuff administration to the fort. Most seasoned players try to avoid depending on traps, to make the game more challenging. That said, sensibly placing walls, drawbridges, and hatch covers, or long, circuitous tunnels could be considered an exploit as well. There really is no right way to play DF, which is why we love it.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »

Selling an earring against mandate: Fatal beating.

Drinking all the blood out of someone until they die: 100 days in prison.

God damn nobles.
#insert obvious_quote_about_politicians
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9