Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released  (Read 70168 times)

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.02 Released
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2012, 05:00:27 am »

try to avoid depending on traps

How can you do that when the dwarves get military skills so extremely slow.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2012, 06:25:40 am »

Anyone experiencing hangs with this one? Might be DwarfTherapist thrashing the cache?

I have set 25 pop cap in the d_init but it seems I have gotten up to 36 dwarfs with waves coming above 25 dwarfs.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2012, 06:39:05 am »

I have set 25 pop cap in the d_init but it seems I have gotten up to 36 dwarfs with waves coming above 25 dwarfs.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2922

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2012, 07:18:48 am »

Cant you just drop the vampire king down in a pool of lava? I see vampirism as a disease that, while not lethal, might become troublesome if you let it fester.

I can, but why should I? He is the most bad-ass dwarf in my fortress. And who cares if he kills a few of my dwarves. I have too many dwarves anyway. My only concern is that he will kill his wife or one of the few useful dwarves. I am now just doubting if I should put him in full gear and have him destroy every siege with his royal guard or if I should build him an inescapable temple where I can feed him in peace without having to worry about him killing anyone I care about.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2012, 07:39:24 am »

You cant really decide which ones hell kill so he might end up killing your best warriors or some legendary worker, so while its cool most ppl would probably still kill any vampire given the chance.

I dont really know how vampirism spreads, maybe it can spread through surviving victims. If so that could be another problem.

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2012, 08:08:47 am »

You cant really decide which ones hell kill so he might end up killing your best warriors or some legendary worker, so while its cool most ppl would probably still kill any vampire given the chance.

I dont really know how vampirism spreads, maybe it can spread through surviving victims. If so that could be another problem.

So, after few years you would end up with fortress of bad ass vampires that get a food shipment every 6 months. Not bad if you ask me. That is if vampires don't feed on each other that is...
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2012, 08:58:00 am »

try to avoid depending on traps

How can you do that when the dwarves get military skills so extremely slow.

There are plenty of ways to raise combat skills. Killing critters is a good one. Recruiting angry, disciplined dwarves helps. Having small squads with at least one decent warrior helps training, especially if the good one has the teacher skill. Also, marksdwarves will improve quickly if you give them live targets. Once they get good, they will teach others. A fort with a place for marksdwarves to stand where they can't be attacked by melee attackers is formidable. Goblins seldom turn up fully armoured, you see, so if you fire enough bone bolts at them they will go down. Any big tough monster can be defeated ny mobbing it with enough soldiers.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 25, 2012, 09:39:56 am »

Seems it only spreads through drinking vampire blood so there wont be a fort full of vampires unless you somehow get his blood out and feed it to the others. Thats a rather tricky thing to do I would think.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:47 pm »

hrrmm...
now what are the completely evil buggers in this version?

badgers don't appear to be quite as bad as they were, carp and elephants were nerfed ages ago, and now mossies have, too.

Giant sponges. And husks of ANYTHING
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 25, 2012, 06:26:26 pm »

Vampirism basically doesn't spread with regards to fortress mode as far as I know. 

Vampirism comes from either profaning a temple and getting cursed by a god(dess) (which only happens in worldgen), drinking the blood of an existing vampire (which basically only happens for adventurers), and being spread on purpose by a vampire to a member of his/her cult (which probably only happens in worldgen). 

... Unless maybe someone wants to try experiments with tainting their water supply with vampire blood...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2012, 08:09:25 pm »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
... Unless maybe someone wants to try experiments with tainting their water supply with vampire blood...
[/quote

Don't worry, someone's way ahead of you.
At last, she is done.

Squidpalace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2012, 09:10:10 pm »

After my vampire mayor got hammered into a coma I was concerned that he would die of infection and that I would run out of vampires, so I decided to try infecting a peasant girl. First I tried to drop him down an existing well, thereby polluting the water. However, since every bone is his body was broken and overlapping another, the surgeons were unable to get him mobile before infection claimed him. I savescummed and tried a different method, which was convicting him of another crime he had committed in the past. I got quite fortunate at this point because the hammer smashed a rib through his heart, causing massive blood loss. As soon as he was dead I walled the area up and constructed a pump nearby to flood the chamber with water. After it was flooded I constructed a chamber above, with a little water hole, and locked the peasant girl inside.

What I have noticed and learned so far:

Pumping the water in either removed or moved the blood. This may be related to water's ability to push blood onto walls. I noticed a lot of blood on the walls, where there had been little beforehand. However I had expected there to be some blood still visible on the floor. Secondly, after the peasant girl drank from the water she did not complain of its nastiness (despite having a rotten corpse right where she drank from), leading me to believe that the water had indeed not become contaminated. I still need to make sure she hasn't become a vampire, but she ran off to eat as soon as I let her out which is not promising. It may be that dropping down the well or spike trapping may be the only way to pollute water.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:45:16 pm by Squidpalace »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 26, 2012, 03:07:40 am »

"made forbid/etc. from stocks screen not effect items used for buildings when applied to an entire group" THANKS!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 28, 2012, 05:10:01 am »

hrrmm...
now what are the completely evil buggers in this version?

badgers don't appear to be quite as bad as they were, carp and elephants were nerfed ages ago, and now mossies have, too.

Giant sponges. And husks of ANYTHING
Also giant sparrow(corpse)s. A single undead giant sparrow made mincemeat of my starting seven in minutes.
Giant thrips are pretty badass too, especially since they come in packs of 10.
Also, alligators seem to have something against my miners; they've made short work of my best miner in at least two different embarks.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]