Averni
Getai
Carthage
Koinon Hellenon
Epeiros
Ptolemaioi
Pontos

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #15 - Hideous Hellenes  (Read 41820 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #12 - Of men and AP axes
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2012, 09:11:55 pm »

The Illustrated Histories of the Kingdom of Pontos

Chapter 12 - Tora! Tora! Tora!

Spoiler: 246 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle of Chersonesos (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 245-244 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle of Byzantion (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle of Olbia (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 244-243 BC (click to show/hide)

Couldn't you get horse archers by conquering some Sauromatae land and recruit the locals? They should be quite effective against those elite phalanxes the other greek/successors use.

Elite phalanxes have fairly good armour values but that's certainly an option. I don't even need high barracks levels to train HA's up north. And they're dirt cheap as units.

Enjoy the update.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #12 - Of Men and AP Axes
« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2012, 09:30:08 pm »

Looking at the map with all those indies left unconquered.. AI progress is terrible  :-\ Is this normal for EB?

There are some mods that ask you not to rush, but there seems to be a fundamental misunderstanding between most of them as to what exactly is "NOT rushing".
"Please don't attack any neighbor for 40 turns, otherwise AI will not grow enough" just points out that the mod is badly thought out.

Also : Byzantion! ...What? Execute all the survivors and their families for being personally responsible for the defeat.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2012, 10:57:26 pm »

I think the problem with AI not expanding properly in EB has something to do with most factions starting with negative income. A human player can counter that by conquering rich provinces as fast as possible, but the AI at times is too stupid to do that.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2012, 09:52:00 am »

EB script makes it physically impossible for AI to go below 0, and they get money bonuses on top of that. Expansion in EB is slower than in vanilla mainly due to fairly strong rebels (especially rebel Gauls in northern Italy spring to mind). Sometimes the AI does a little better, sometimes a bit worse. Early game still requires the player to rush a bit just to get a stable economy going barring few factions. This is acknowledged as necessary by the developers so it's not a case of "don't rush".

Anything north of the Getai, east of Germans, usually doesn't get conquered that fast (depends a bit on how Sauromatae plays out), no AI really likes to go out to get the big poor provinces that far in the wastes. The biggest obstacle for AI faction expansion is usually other factions. Aedui and Avernii in Gaul and Greek factions in the Balkans are most prominent. Sometimes a clear victor pops up in 20 in-game years, sometimes it takes longer than that.

The fact is, EB plays more slowly than vanilla RTW. It's intended but not everyone likes it.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2012, 10:23:25 am »

EB script makes it physically impossible for AI to go below 0, and they get money bonuses on top of that.
Ah, I didn't know that. Disregard what I said above.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2012, 01:51:44 pm »

Speaking of archers, can you grab Crete, or are they one of the very strong rebel factions?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2012, 09:12:28 am »

Speaking of archers, can you grab Crete, or are they one of the very strong rebel factions?

Weak enough for (human) Greek Cities to capture them in the first one or two turns. I have no idea if they're still rebel or KH. Either way I'm not too eager to go there just yet. We get Caucasian archers in our home regions already and if we upgrade our barrackses in the Crimea we can get Bosphoran archers. Caucasians are more fragile but shoot as well as Cretans, while Bosphorans are some of the most heavily armoured archers in the game. The other thing is that if they're KH, we'd take a hit to our trade income since Southern Balkan ports are mainly in KH possession. I plan to descend upon the paltry Hellenes once I'm done with Macedonians, but until then I'm going to milk every last trade tariff I can get from them.

Then there's the matter of force projection. Pretty much all of our forces are either in our south-eastern border fending off PtoleSeleucids or in the western Black Sea turning it into mare nostrum. While I am putting together another army to kick more ass, the cost and risks of taking Crete now (war with KH, loss of trade income) outweigh the benefits (yet another, albeit fairly awesome, archer unit, provided I get a high level barracks there). I also believe that we can hire Cretans as mercenaries in Anatolia (at least I can get Thessalian heavy cavalry as far as Kilikia-Syria).

I do plan to take Crete, but not until I've marched my armies down from Getai capital to Sparta.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2012, 11:33:26 am »

Ah, I thought they were still rebel from your map, and I know that in vanilla it can take a very long time for any of the AIs to grab it. Yeah, Cretan archers are no reason to get into a war with somebody else right now.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2012, 12:16:49 pm »

Delta Foxtrot, do you intend to attack Hayasdan any time soon? They may turn on you on the worst possible moment if you let them grow too much.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #13 - Of Men and AP Axes
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2012, 09:01:58 am »

Chapter 13 - Something new in the western front

Spoiler: 243 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 242 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here's another update, enjoy.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Chapter 14 - Where we grab more coastline, and other assorted hijinks

Spoiler: 241 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 240 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 239 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 238 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And we're back with another update. Enjoy.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #15 - Hideous Hellenes
« Reply #71 on: April 01, 2012, 09:37:07 pm »

Chapter 15 - Celts and the multicultural Pontos

Spoiler: 237 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 236 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 235 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 234 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 233 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spring, 232 BC (click to show/hide)

I tried to not get too spammy with the pictures. Hope you like it.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 01, 2012, 11:25:12 pm »

I don't know EB, but I'd tend to think the Ptolemaioi lands would be better for your cash flow, yes? Or maybe chomp off a bit of both – gobble up Cyprus and the Levant, and then decide whether to finish off the Ptolemaioi, turn east, or deal with the rest of the Greeks.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 02, 2012, 09:51:22 am »

If you're going to take Crete, then you might as well go after the Ptolemaioi lands while you're at it, just to secure the eastern Mediterranean and help protect your holdings. Plus think of all that lovely trade income you'll get.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 02, 2012, 11:57:54 am »

Keep in mind that the ptolemaioi seem to have a full-powered stack there, while the selucids don't. Taking edessa might be easier, but that army may give you some trouble if you don't face it soon.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]