Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regional Effects for Good/Savage Biomes.  (Read 3236 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regional Effects for Good/Savage Biomes.
« on: February 19, 2012, 01:18:00 am »

So, yeah. Exactly what it says on the tin. This thread is for brainstorming possible effects to be added to Good/Savage biomes similar to how evil biomes now have evil mist and weekly undead reanimations. Calm biomes don't get any, since they're supposed to be reletively normal.

Good Biomes:
-Evil regions currently have undead rising up. An obvious choice would be to have holy/sacred/blessed/glowing/sanctified/beatific mist/fog/rain/clouds/snow fall that causes general necrosis/pain/other bad effects in undead, vampires, harpies, ogres and other evil creatures. More of an adventure mode thing, since, as far as I know, evil biomes can't be adjacent to good biomes.
-Animal -> Animalman interaction. Should be very rare, but not rare enough that it comes as a suprise. The Animalmen created this way should be hostile/friendly based on your previous history with that animal species and on the animal type in general. Later versions could include the opinion of the local nature spirit has of you.
-Healing mists. These randomly reduce bleeding, repair damaged flesh, mend broken bones, relieve pain/nausea/dizziness or unbruise body parts.
-Personality alterations towards "good" personality traits.

Savage Biomes:
-Animal -> Giant Animal interation. Similar in principle to the Animal -> Animalman interaction, but should probably be altered to happen gradually to named creatures. Each "Giant Crocodile" should have a name and a history behind it, rather than being a generic creature.
-Stray animals not within sight of a dwarf have a chance to periodically "go wild" and become untamed. Pets shouldn't do this unless their dwarves are dead; nor should most vermin.
-Personality alterations towards "savage" personality traits.
-Increased chance of rages for everything on the map.
-Increased chance to beserk when a dwarf goes insane, rather than melancholy or stark raving mad.
-Personality alterations towards "savage" personality traits.

Any one else have ideas?

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
Re: Regional Effects for Good/Savage Biomes.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:49:36 am »

You could have healing waters/waters of youth. This would require interactions to be able to specify that water has that effect in that type of region, unless Toady added custom flows finally hehe. It would also be a little weird in that water taken from one area would stop working in the next, but I think that's also kind of thematic, especially since you could use the same effect for a Holy Grail type object. Perhaps also, a hero that's killed a lot of evil things in his time might be resurrected with champion status if his remains were taken to a good region - would be cool to see world-gen heroes come back this way. They'd still be technically undead, but the good kind. Forgotten Realms had elven liches devoted to protecting ancestral tombs and the like, so why not?

Other than that, the things that come to mind are more thing-oriented, rather than regional. Things like healing berries, pixies swarming around an adventurer or dwarf and protecting them from harm, animals becoming docile and peaceful (perhaps gaining intelligence), everything in general becoming more resistant to fire (because there's definitely a fire=badness vibe to DF's stock theme), and vermin attacking and pestering evil creatures.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 03:46:45 am »

Good Biome healing rain would be a beautiful challenge.  It regenerates limbs in living beings that it falls upon, whether Dwarf, Goblin, Unicorn, or Hill Titan.

I personally think Savage is sufficiently fleshed out for the moment.  More savage means bigger more ferocious animals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:47:47 am »

Good Biome healing rain would be a beautiful challenge.  It regenerates limbs in living beings that it falls upon, whether Dwarf, Goblin, Unicorn, or Hill Titan.

I personally think Savage is sufficiently fleshed out for the moment.  More savage means bigger more ferocious animals.

Modding that in would require a different effect for each individual creature, with each creature getting a new class for the body transformation involved...

@_@

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 03:51:27 am »

I would think modding it would be a matter of putting in an interaction that occurs in good areas only.  It would, however, require interactions that heal, something I saw requested in another thread.  I don't know if that is currently possible.  Currently the evil rains only work on living beings from what I can tell.  Zombies don't get the ill effects of them.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 04:29:27 am »

So, yeah. Exactly what it says on the tin. This thread is for brainstorming possible effects to be added to Good/Savage biomes similar to how evil biomes now have evil mist and weekly undead reanimations. Calm biomes don't get any, since they're supposed to be reletively normal.

This doesn't make any sense in the vanilla game, but the possibility to create weather that only affect a certain group of creatures would be very usefull to modding.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Maksie99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 06:28:44 am »

Good biomes shouldn't exclusively have positive effects. Perhaps hunting down animals in good biomes (especially unicorns) would result in an ambush of animal-men, and negative attention from the Elves.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:25 am »

Good biomes shouldn't exclusively have positive effects. Perhaps hunting down animals in good biomes (especially unicorns) would result in an ambush of animal-men, and negative attention from the Elves.
Negative attention from elves IS a good effect.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 02:15:37 pm »

Savage biomes already have a few unique effects.

1. Certain creatures (Namely most Giant creatures) will only show up in savage areas.
2. There will always be 2 groups of creatures in savage biomes (as opposed to one in calm or wilderness)

Personally I like the way it is set up now. A slight step up in difficulty without being a giant leap.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!