Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trying to install graphics on 50.11  (Read 2964 times)

Dwarf4704

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trying to install graphics on 50.11
« on: November 23, 2023, 07:48:32 pm »

Hello, I didn't like the ASCII style for my graphics in the latest version, and I couldn't figure out how to install a graphics set, as all the ones I can find come with instructions that don't apply to the latest version. I've googled and searched but I can't find an answer.

I am using the classic version. Can anyone help?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to install graphics on 50.11
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2023, 07:57:15 pm »

Can anyone help?
No. The way graphics works v50+ is different to before. And to properly update the old graphics sets means drawing thousands of new tiles. It may happen eventually but it's taken multiple artists a couple years to make the official set.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Dwarf4704

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2023, 08:19:13 pm »

Well I'm going to check to see if I can use a tile set. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository Hopefully this will work.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2023, 08:38:12 pm »

That mostly works, but there can be some minor issues, I find maximizing the window helps, but some elements can end up rendering over others, and some can't be clicked. (and there's some issues inherent to ASCII mode)

I use Cheepicus16
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Dwarf4704

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2023, 08:48:06 pm »

I've tried it; it works for me.

Dwarf4704

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2023, 10:01:40 pm »

>There have been numerous graphics updates with the release of version 50. Unfortunately, at the moment, the latest release only renders properly with the default resolution and tile size. The default tileset is curses_640x300.png, so until there is an update, only 640×300 and 8×12 will render properly.

From https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository

We need a tile set with resolution 640x300 tile size 8x12.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2023, 10:42:13 pm »

Yes, that's what the game is using, and for me there's no point in changing to a different 8×12; I'm used to using a square set and it works well enough for me.

Also, there's been several updates since that paragraph was added to the wiki, some of which included fixes for Classic ASCII rendering, it's far better than it was with the 1st Classic release. So I'm not sure how true that quote is any more.

Edit: I removed the old info and added a current issue.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 01:46:07 am by Ziusudra »