Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Immigrating away from your Fort  (Read 4568 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Immigrating away from your Fort
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 03:51:31 pm »

Yes, this is planned, I'm pretty sure.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 03:58:26 pm »

Somewhat unnecessary though to bump a more than 4 year old thread when there's another active emigration suggestion as the 3rd topic on the page that says pretty much the same thing :>

Arowhun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2014, 01:14:40 pm »

They probably shouldn't immigrate during a siege. Would be hilarious, but I think they should wait until its over. Maybe if the fortress is losing a battle, they could try to escape. This should probably only happen if the seige gets into their burrow, or something.

I must say though, it would be very annoying if I got a legendary armor smith and he decided to leave. They should only leave if they become very unhappy, or something like that.

If someone decides to leave, the dwarf should then decide if he/she can leave family behind or not. Perhaps the dwarf would try to convince family/friends to leave with him/her.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:18:06 pm by Arowhun »
Another important reason is graphics: Toady is running out of letters.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2014, 02:17:13 pm »

They probably shouldn't immigrate during a siege. Would be hilarious, but I think they should wait until its over. Maybe if the fortress is losing a battle, they could try to escape. This should probably only happen if the seige gets into their burrow, or something.

I must say though, it would be very annoying if I got a legendary armor smith and he decided to leave. They should only leave if they become very unhappy, or something like that.
Well, the idea is that bugging out would be a non-lethal alternative to a tantrum.
If someone decides to leave, the dwarf should then decide if he/she can leave family behind or not. Perhaps the dwarf would try to convince family/friends to leave with him/her.
Ideally, the character weighs his/her options.  Would the person be happier (less unhappy) here with family, or there without family?  Maybe this person has other family at the destination.  A more advanced version would be what you are suggesting: the unhappy person informs his/her family of an intent to leave (perhaps using some social skills).  Something akin to bargaining takes place, where each evaluates whether he/she wants to stay with those intending to stay or go with those intending to go.  This could go on for several rounds, and might get caught in a loop where some folks keep switching sides every round.  Eventually, the original malcontent might get so frustrated that he/she just storms out whether anyone else comes or not.

Game-related questions: Will the player know this conversation is occurring ("Urist McMalcontent is considering leaving the fortress")?  Maybe only if the Mayor knows about it ("Urist McMayor is trying to talk Urist McMalcontent out of leaving the fortress")?  On what sort of timescale does the discussion occur?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 10:06:19 pm »

As it is, immigrants are generated when they arrive on the map. At such time as they're actual units, which come from another civilization site to your fortress, emigration will be possible as well.
Migrants are historical figures now. I think it was added in DF2012.

Also: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=136155.0 It's a dfhack plugin that does just this.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 10:09:22 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 09:19:32 am »

The post you just quoted is from 2009.
Pages: 1 [2]