Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sericulture  (Read 4643 times)

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
Re: Sericulture
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 06:54:13 pm »

Elven wooden weapons
A valuable and desirable good?  :D
I always thought they'd be your #1 import of logs that they've deemed 'safe' for you to use.
Humans, I think of silk.
Dwarves, I think of stone.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sericulture
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2014, 07:38:01 am »

Necro are allowed in this forum, sericulture in this game need to be bettered and there is no much threads (
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
) discussing about sericulture so..

Silk need to be a "groweable" product.

Sources:

Silk should come, as in vanilla, from spiders; additionally, silkworms and other fantastic silk-producing animals should be available to players.

Magnanery:

Silk-producing animals should be able to be Tamed and raised in a Magnanery, managed by a Magnanier , or Mangdwarf such as it is done for honeybees.

However, GCS should never being able to be raised by such institutions so that the challenge be not taken from players, who would instead gather GCS silk by the traditional method, involving soapmakers/POW/disabled dwarves/other unwanted dwarves or pets.

Possible nerfings:

Maybe..
  • .. growed silk should be worth less than the wild variety;
  • .. Sericulture should be a rather difficult skill to raise;
  • .. as proposed by Mephansteras, silk should made to be rarer.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 02:37:26 am »

I wonder how easy it would be to mod it in...for instance making a special farm plot that requires a cave spider cage and grows silk every year or something.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 04:25:05 pm »

I wonder how easy it would be to mod it in...for instance making a special farm plot that requires a cave spider cage and grows silk every year or something.

I don't believe that would work.

However, you could make spiders function like bees, in that they can be placed within an artificial hive. You can then have them produce an item that is turned into silk through a custom reaction.

I don't believe that they can directly produce silk properly, unless the hive product token can support product size tokens.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 05:52:39 pm »

You should be able to directly produce silk thread from a workshop. You could even mod in some kind of giant tame spider that can be "milked" to produce some substance that is transformed into silk.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 [2]