Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25

Author Topic: Good regions being painfully good  (Read 85812 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Good regions being painfully good
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:26 pm »

Here's an idea. In good regions, there are healing springs, mists that grant magical powers, rain of alcohol, etc.

However...
Invaders use the healing springs. Dwarves with magical power go mad with power and/or normally, and take down more of your militia/civilians/infrastructure with them. Alcohol rain makes everything more flammable, which causes issues when a dragon or fire-breathing titan or something comes along.

In other words: Evil areas kill you, good areas help you nut also helps things trying to kill you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:38 pm »

I'd definitely like to see some more mechanics to good areas, such as the healing rains etc suggested here. As for the good being dangerous or not, the obvious solution is to have serene areas be relatively safe and only include the positive effects, and the joyous wilds be the more dangerous ones.

Some of the things I'd like to see apart from the previously mentioned:

Ent-like creatures protecting the trees of the area, going hostile if you cut any wood.

The aforementioned healing/refreshing rains, with the added effect of them killing off/weakening undead.

Having pixies/fairies cause mischief throughout the area.

Not sure if I like the idea of alcohol rains though, it sort of feels that'd only be good in the perspective of a dwarf, and cause damage to everything else ;P

Mists that confuse and enthrall any dwarves that wander inside, leaving them void of memory and making them forget any relations/skills.

The youthful cloud and mellow clouds also sounds awesome.

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 01:20:48 pm »

I've suggested this before, but three possible bad effects of a good region:

– Dwarves get enchanted and don't want to work as much. Urist cancels dig: Bliss. That sort of thing.

– Dwarves actually wander away from the fort to go live with the fairies or whatever else is there.

– Creatures in the good region take it amiss when they are abused, and you wind up being sieged by fairies/unicorns/Na'vi (maybe until you repent somehow)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 02:58:35 pm »

As for the good being dangerous or not, the obvious solution is to have serene areas be relatively safe and only include the positive effects, and the joyous wilds be the more dangerous ones

Well remember there is a reason why Humans don't embark in good regions of any type... and I doubt it is because they are too full on sunberries, hate having their wounds healed, and the harmless creatures.

As for other ways to make good regions more difficult. Remember you are dealing with creatures who essentially live in a region that embodies virtue many of which are intelligent. As well given the nature of how Toady has presented good regions it should also be inherantly magical.

Elves have goods and creatures (unicorns) from good regions because they can live at peace with their surroundings, something that should backfire on anyone else or even Elves themselves from time to time.

Fairies have been quite nasty in fiction. Making you dance until death, pernament slumber, shrinking, making you turn into mice (make them poison dust). They alone can make good regions deadly.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 03:12:24 pm »

Fairies have been quite nasty in fiction. Making you dance until death, pernament slumber, shrinking, making you turn into mice (make them poison dust).

Why are they even in good regions, then?

I think my point is that good-aligned regions shouldn't be in the game, since there's no way for them to be really good that doesn't make it stupidly easy to build a settlement there.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 03:16:08 pm »

Because "good" is only a representation of good but are in no way genuin forces of good.

It isn't "good incarnate" anymore then evil regions are "evil incarnate".

They take what we associate with good and use it against us.

Like Bleach. It makes everything pale and white by frying it. You are the alien, you are the perverting force and one that should be removed.

So think of it that way. Good regions are like a tub of powerful bleach. Bleach is good.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:18:51 pm by Neonivek »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 03:27:52 pm »

Yeah, good in this aspect is in no way good from the dwarven general point of view. More like good from a pristine nature-centered magical and denizens of the land point of view, to which to dwarven civilization is most often completely opposed :>

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 04:27:13 pm »

"Good" is actually more represented by "children's sunday morning cartoon" type of good.  The grass is made of bubbles, trees are made of feathers, fairies play, unicorns prance, and berries that are filled with liquid sunshine pop right out of the ground for you to pick. 

I presume humans don't embark there because they'd get a toothache.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 05:53:02 pm »

Fairies have been quite nasty in fiction. Making you dance until death, pernament slumber, shrinking, making you turn into mice (make them poison dust).

I think it would be fair to move them to evil forests and have them play nasty pranks on the dwarves, yeah.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 05:57:10 pm »

I think it would be fair to move them to evil forests and have them play nasty pranks on the dwarves, yeah.

That isn't exactly how fairies work. They may be malicious but they don't dress in the cloth of evil.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 06:06:26 pm »

I think good regions are fine...  I think the only difference should be possibly a very rare event of something extremely powerful and evil attacking the good region to destory it.  I mean if I'm some Demon King I'm going to be thinking of destroying my greatest threat which would usually be the place of greatest good since they will be able to forge and support weapons/creatures which target my weaknesses.  The vise versa would also be true because some Arch Angel would try to purify a sinister evil section of the map as compared to a wandering group of bandits.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 07:17:55 pm »

That isn't exactly how fairies work. They may be malicious but they don't dress in the cloth of evil.

Well, it depends on the fairy.  In a lot of old myths, it seemed popular to depict them as seeming benevolent at first, but in the end they do something cruel and unfair, or at least undesirable.  And often they present some perverted logic to explain their actions, making them tricksters, or at least really weird.  They behaved much like modern devils, in some cases.  A Tinkerbell, though, is just a bit fickle and not quite as bad.  I don't know that they're ever really good, though I guess they sometimes make shoes for you.

That would be great.  Good fairies take over your workshops and make a ton of useless wooden shoes for you, using up all your lumber.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:20:26 pm by Kavalion »

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 08:11:10 pm »

The point is that if fairies are going to live in a region that matches their temperament, and they're classic folklore fairies that do nasty things to people, they should be in an evil region. It doesn't matter how they're dressed. Evil isn't a costume.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 08:22:42 pm »

The point is that if fairies are going to live in a region that matches their temperament, and they're classic folklore fairies that do nasty things to people, they should be in an evil region. It doesn't matter how they're dressed. Evil isn't a costume.
[/quote]

I think you're reading a lot into the words good and evil that just aren't there in this case. They aren't used as a descriptor of the moral alignment of the denizens, but rather as a label of the stereotypical fantasy sphere to which these creatures and effects belong. "Matching temperaments" has nothing to do with it at all.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 09:06:02 pm »

Yea, I like the healing and other ideas. Good in some ways, bad in others. Compared to 100% bad Evil regions, quite nice.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 25