Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Crossing the Bright Void - a Space Pirate RTD: Turn 8.5 - Horrors of War  (Read 26365 times)

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RTD Name Thanks to Digital Hellhound!
Thanks for that Digital!
Intro
It was the year 2088, Earth's resources were nearly depleted, and war was ever present as everything from oil to trees were fought over, and the world began to break down into savagery, and death. In attempt to save some of mankind all the nations that remained banded together, and began Project Eden, it was to become Mankind's greatest triumph, and it goal was to give us the ability to colonize a distant Earth like planet. At first all they manged was constant failure, and the outlook of Mankind grew grim, but just before the world was set to collapse they made a discovery in the deepest parts of Antarctica, buried under five miles of ice they found a massive ship it took up miles upon miles of space.

It was a relic from an age long gone, a symbol of hope when mankind most needed it, and it was a sign of something beyond their small planet. Within a year the Union of Mankind, as the nations had become known as, put down all wars, and began to repair the relic which was now known as Hope's Remnant. Billions flocked to the relic, and it was completed by the end of the year 2090. By then only two million humans remained, more then enough to pilot the relic ship, but nowhere near close enough to fill it.

With that they left Earth, a dying husk covered in poisonous gases, volcanic ash, and constant earthquakes slowly tearing the planet to pieces. They set off into the stars to try, and salvage what remained of mankind. As the ship traveled through the stars, finding habitable planet after habitable planet, mankind slowly split up into groups of four to five thousand per planet until finally Hope's Remnant disappeared among the stars, the fifty thousand that remained on the ship to make it their hope never to be found again.

As the years past those that were left behind on the varying planets either withered away, and died, or flourished, those who survived used the knowledge they had gained from the relic to build similar ships that could travel light years in an hour, and such. Mankind flourished as never before as they reached their grip out through the stars. At first they believed themselves to be alone as the relic moved farther out off their minds, but within fifteen years of their expansion they came into contact with hundreds of different races that lived among the stars.

Mankind grew along side these alien beings, and soon enough they lived in peace together, worked beside each other, and waged war with each other. Even in the dark reaches of space the atrocity of war that nearly wiped out mankind was present, and growing rapidly with the introduction of the ever ambitious humans. Among the thousands of faction that wage war through the stars lies an even larger faction, the Space Pirates, renegades who have chosen to steal, and wage war against any they choose to become rich. They have an allegiance only to those they wish to give it, and follow no rules, but their own. Six new Space Pirates emerge in the hopes of striking it rich among the deadly spaces of the Galactic Empires, and Federations.

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship Classes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship Armaments (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat Mechanics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Deep Space (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Fighter Combat Rules (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ship Modifications (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Large Battles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Overwatch (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Structural Integrity (click to show/hide)

Current Players: Player Name | Captain Name | Ship Name
- Nirur Torir, Captain Nrelshy, Mr. Success a 'Shinra' Spec. Ops. Carrier
- Sinpwn, K'zan, Star's Glare an Array V1
- empfan, Captain Jack Scott, Void's End a Black Crusader Millitary Class V Frigate
- Caellath, Narthendal Alens, Tendril of Darkness a Custom-Built Light Carrier
- Dwarmin, Captain Sai'oda Fresa, Endless Fury a Unique Carrier Frigate
- Tiruin, Aurin Velias, Misericordia Nex a Firelance Cruiser

Waiting List:
-Spartan
-Tavik Toth
-mesoth
-10ebbor10
-
-
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:44:12 pm by adwarf »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crossing the Bright Void - a Space Pirate RTD
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:30:01 pm »

I think Stingrays need to be rebalanced. As far as I can tell, a Lynx will always kill one for 1/15th the price (Before it can fire Breaker missiles), while the interceptor itself is vastly outclassed by a trio of missiles. Meanwhile, a pair of frigate plasma batteries won't go getting themselves blown up as soon as they enter combat for the first time, every time. At the very least, I think strike craft with single-shot missiles should be able to launch any missile in one turn. An inherent dodge chance based on fighter type might be nice for fighters (It's hard to hit light fighters with a plasma battery).

Spoiler: Sign-up sheet (click to show/hide)

And, because the forums went down, I have a hastily crafted picture of Rip for anyone who doubts that cutebolds can be fighter pilots.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:59:52 am by Nirur Torir »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:34:25 pm »

Well a Lynx has to hit the fighter first, but I'll modify its damage a bit to keep them from one hitting the fighters. Also Fighters will fire all missiles in one turn no matter what the Missiles Atk Speed says.

As for the Plasma Batteries, they have to roll a 1d20 with 19-20 hitting the fighter.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 09:41:20 pm by adwarf »

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:54:50 pm »

Pretty sure everything's good.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:47:22 am by Sinpwn »

empfan

• Bay Watcher
  • Dungeon Keeper and part-time Firekeeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:25:45 pm »

Name: Captain Jack Scott
Bio: He used to run with the millitary untill he was repremanded for "illegal activity", which was all just a setup for him so that the lower-class could get his ship, Voids End.  He did not take kindly to the news.  He broke back into the facility and managed to take voids end, and along the way picked up some crews. Hes a real pirate now, and those assholes were going to pay, oh yes, they WILL pay.
Race: Human
Ship Name: Void's End
Ship Class: Black Crusader Millitary Class V
Ship Armaments:
- 4 Mk. I Lynbar Point Defense Turret | 600 credits
- 2000x Point Defense Rounds | 1400 credits
- 1 Mk. III Shinra Cannon | 750 credits
- 400x High Density Shells | 2000 credits
leftover credits: 250

Black Crusader Millitary Class V Specs:
-6 turret mounts | 30 points
- 4 missile tubes | 20 points
- Helsburg Heavy Dunarim Hull Plating | 50 points
Leftover points: 0
desc: Built for solo missions and for heavy assault against both stations and enemy ships, Jack has re-built the ship as he always wished, and made it available to be modded even further in the future. This thing is his pride and joy, and so he even added the words "Black Crusader" to the beginning of the name to show it's own type of independence. It made him cringe a bit when he couldn't afford the heavy plating, and he knew that would be his first investment the first chance he got for it.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:47:43 pm by empfan »

Xardalas

• Bay Watcher
  • Being bored and stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:12:11 pm »

I'll join up.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:56 pm »

Here is one of Mankind's twelve Capital Ships, so you guys can see just how powerful they are, and don't get any wild ideas. It'll also show how Mankind is the weakest military force once you begin to see the other races fleets.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:53 am »

Is it possible to reserve?

Spoiler: Finished! (click to show/hide)

Reserve as in: "I'm busy with the bio."
The positioning is just flavor.

Also, lowered the rounds (did the math) for a chance to upgrade one laser battery. (I lacked 50 G.C.)

And, if the bio is too long, just say. I get carried away with things like these if the atmosphere is right.  :P
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 05:53:32 am by Tiruin »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 12:08:42 am »

Yep its fine :)

Edit; Sinpwn, you need to recheck your ship, it has 5 Battery Mounts which cost 15 points each
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 01:13:30 am by adwarf »

Sinpwn

• Bay Watcher
  • That there guy with that face.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 03:44:48 am »

Yep its fine :)

Edit; Sinpwn, you need to recheck your ship, it has 5 Battery Mounts which cost 15 points each
Ah, I can't see the costs of the armor plating, but it seems light armor is free, so I'll go with that.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:24:48 am »

Done mine.

Q: Is it possible to upgrade the ship later on? With booty and plunder?

Also, does Missile Tubes rely on ammunition to be used or can they be used alone? (Armaments > Missiles).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:44:52 am by Tiruin »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 08:47:25 am »

I'll snag that last spot. Reserved. :)

I know you have a spotty record Adwarf, but I'm willing to try again. Cause you always think up the best ideas for RTD's.

-------------

Name: Captain Sai'oda Fresa
Bio: Sai'oda was once a young idealist, a politicians daughter-in the fascist Empire of Bataria, though, freedom of thought was frowned upon. Her family and friends were executed, or imprisoned and 'rewired', into expendable slave labor. Such was almost her fate...but she escaped. She became a fugitive, and an outcast from her home.

Ranging out into a hostile galaxy, consumed with anger, her morals corroded over time. Eventually, piracy went from merely a matter of survival to one of choice.

While her piracy is typically not very choosy of victims, she still retains a hate for the trappings of Law and Order-and, at time, goes out of her way to cause trouble for them. Or help out a fellow space captain who might be resisting arrest.

Race: Batarian

Ship Name: Endless Fury

Ship Class: Custom!:

Fenbar Light Dinarium Alloy Hull Plating
10xTurret Mounts - (5 Points Per Turret Mount)
2xBattery Mounts - (15 Points Per Battery Mount)
10xFighter Capacity - (2 Points Per Fighter Capacity)

Ship Armaments:
4x PDF Turrets (1400)
6x Shinra Turrets (1200)

2xStingray Fighters (1500)
1x Missile Fighter    (750)

-4650 spent-
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:04:12 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 09:02:11 am »

Ah, I can't see the costs of the armor plating, but it seems light armor is free, so I'll go with that.
I don't think there is a free armor.
Code: [Select]
[b][abbr=Forward: AP 30/30; Left: 25/25; Right: 25/25; Rear: 25/25; Points: 20]Fenbar Light Dinarium Alloy Hull Plating[/abbr][/b] or
[b][abbr=Forward: AP 35/35; Left: 30/30; Right: 30/30; Rear: 25/25; Points: 30]Shinam Dunarim Hull Plating[/abbr][/b] or
[b][abbr=Forward: AP 40/40; Left: 40/40; Right: 40/40; Rear: 40/40; Points: 50]Helsburg Heavy Dunarim Hull Plating[/abbr][/b]

I've changed my purchasing decisions to get interceptors.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 09:35:04 am »

Done mine.

Q: Is it possible to upgrade the ship later on? With booty and plunder?

Also, does Missile Tubes rely on ammunition to be used or can they be used alone? (Armaments > Missiles).
Yes, as you go through the game looting, destroying, doing jobs, etc. you'll earn galactic credits, armaments, fighters, and sometimes even entirely new ships to use. For armaments you could just steal them from other ships, and scrap fields, but those are almost always going to be heavily damaged, obsolete, or barely useful. As for plating you could take the remains of enemy ships, and weld them onto the hull (will get penalties as you add more), but you can also get the entire hull plating replaced with something newer, and up to date. Of course it will cost you quite a lot to add anything to the new to ship between buying the parts, paying it to get installed, by ammo, etc. though its stgill a perfectly viable path.

Missile Tube require something to shoot, whether it be a missile, deep-space probe, etc.

*looks at Tiruin's bio, jaw drops*

EDIT: You all in, working on Turn 0 now!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:42:15 am by adwarf »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 09:43:51 am »

*looks at Tiruin's bio, jaw drops*
I know you have a spotty record Adwarf, but I'm willing to try again. Cause you always think up the best ideas for RTD's.
Heh.  :D

Can't wait to raid!

Edit: I think you should add some Missiles to your ammunition Sinpwn.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 09:51:18 am by Tiruin »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10