Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Oceanshoots: Hunting whales with ballistae  (Read 61549 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanshoots: Hunting whales with ballistae
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 10:33:22 pm »

And they shall name him.. Aquadwarf!
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 10:54:31 pm »

Nice work. You really have it in for the ocean don't you?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 11:44:01 pm »

Haven't actually killed any of them yet.  Despite what you'd think, ballista arrows act less like harpoons and more like ranged warhammers, so rather than skewering any of the targets the arrows are just causing bruises and minor injuries.  There is quite a lot of whale blood coming out of the test chamber, so maybe if I keep this up long enough they'll bleed to death, or die of infection.

Maybe you're using just wooden ballista arrows and they're not strong enough to pierce. Have you tried using metal ballista arrows? The wiki specifically states that wooden ballista arrows will not pierce, but instead do blunt damage, whereas metal ones are devastating.

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I thought you might just be overlooking something small.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:46:10 pm by dirty foot »

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 12:30:54 am »

Now you need to find a way to utilise all of your spare sharks and fish in some sort of elaborate shark-apult to kill dwarven traders with.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Angel-of-Dusk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 12:32:59 am »

Shhhhhhh. no words. Too beautiful.

What do you mean why are my pants off?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 12:43:28 am »

Haven't actually killed any of them yet.  Despite what you'd think, ballista arrows act less like harpoons and more like ranged warhammers, so rather than skewering any of the targets the arrows are just causing bruises and minor injuries.  There is quite a lot of whale blood coming out of the test chamber, so maybe if I keep this up long enough they'll bleed to death, or die of infection.

Maybe you're using just wooden ballista arrows and they're not strong enough to pierce. Have you tried using metal ballista arrows? The wiki specifically states that wooden ballista arrows will not pierce, but instead do blunt damage, whereas metal ones are devastating.

I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I thought you might just be overlooking something small.

I specifically tested a variety of ballista bolts back in 31.25. All of them deal blunt damage. Wooden ones only suck because they weigh less. The "devastating" comment is copypasta from 40d, where ballistas actually worked.

dirty foot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 01:00:22 am »

I specifically tested a variety of ballista bolts back in 31.25. All of them deal blunt damage. Wooden ones only suck because they weigh less. The "devastating" comment is copypasta from 40d, where ballistas actually worked.
I never understood the word "copypasta". Is that a reference to potentially uncredited information, or does it just mean that lots of people keep saying it?

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 01:08:52 am »

Now I want to build a glass dome aviary for an aerial whack-a-hole with catapults...
damn it! 
*takes off socks and leaves it on the pile*
you totally deserves it :3

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 01:14:57 am »

Sphalerite, between this project, the sea serpent farm, and the ‼well‼, you are easily my favorite person on the bay12 forums.

It's stories like this that make me love this game.

Now all we need is a collaboration project with DS to further escalate the dwarfiness.
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 01:31:07 am »

Well played, sir, well played.
At last, she is done.

Evil the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 03:19:44 am »

I might be remembering this wrong, but doesn't the quality of ballista's parts determines how accurate it is? I thought the skill of the operator merely determines how fast it loads..

In other news, that is a masterpiece. :)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 03:30:05 am »

But... why?  :o

Never mind, my socks are off for Sphalerite, a true pioneer of Dwarven Science.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 04:26:13 am »

this is awesome. Posting to watch.

Now use a one-legged, old dwarf with a bone crutch as siege operator, and slay giant sperm whales with ballista.

Bonus points if one of your whales actually ripped off his leg.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:29:32 am by Naryar »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 04:29:37 am »

The time and effort put into this significantly outweigh any possible benefit, I can think of no circumstances where this could possibly be a good idea, this is ridiculously and unnecessarily cruel and the fact that you thought of it leads me to believe you are an awful person.

THIS IS THE DORFIEST THING EVER GIVE HIM YOUR SOCKS, GIVE SPHALERITE ALL OF YOUR SOCKS!

Sig'd

And ofcourse, my socks off to you!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 06:18:34 am »

If I were a quadruped I'd throw all four socks to your feet without a doubt.

I might be remembering this wrong, but doesn't the quality of ballista's parts determines how accurate it is? I thought the skill of the operator merely determines how fast it loads..
I remember something like that too.

I never understood the word "copypasta".
It means it was merely copied from the original (40d here) and pasted into new place without any correction. In case of that given article it's has led to it being contradictory.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7