Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: Oceanshoots: Hunting whales with ballistae  (Read 61541 times)

slowpokez

• Bay Watcher
  • B12's Department Head of Arts & Recreation
    • View Profile
    • Cloudsprite
Re: Oceanshoots: Hunting whales with ballistae
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2012, 07:43:27 am »

Sphalerite you just never seize to amaze me ;D ...oh, and if you need more socks you can have mine aswell.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 07:45:58 am by slowpokez »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2012, 07:57:56 am »

If you don't have a beard and an alcohol addiction yet, I'd be amazed. To the dwarfiest person go the socks!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2012, 09:20:26 am »

keep up the great !!SCIENCE!! i wana see the results.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Alloran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 09:29:01 am »

Throwing in my hat for the awesome !!SCIENCE!! test. SOCKS FOR THE SOCK GOD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 09:29:36 am »

by the way, pump forcefields to keep the ocean in place, I'm truly amazed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 09:32:07 am »

It is amazing!
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 09:36:09 am »

Legendary topic is legendary! :)

*gives his pair of ¤phantom spider silk socks¤ to Sphalerite too*

Now we should find a new project for you. Vampire/zombies/were-animals/poisonous mist weaponizing?
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 09:43:30 am »

*Gives socks in tribute to Sphalerite*

Now quick question, why would you not use catapults for this? If you dump stone on the tile the seige engine operator will be standing on I have heard you can get 2-3 stones in the air at a time, and wouldn't you have been able to set up a lot more catapults because you wouldn't ahve to go through all the trouble of making ballista ammo? Also why would you cage the animals first and not just scare them directly into the camber via the war dog method you seem to have perfected?
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 09:51:02 am »

In my experience, catapults are almost completely useless for actually damaging anything.  Ok, so are ballista arrows, but I wanted to at least try to harpoon these whales rather than just throw rocks at them.

Actually, keeping a solid supply of ammo to the ballista was never a problem.  The siege operator is confined to a burrow covering the ballista and the ammo stockpile right next to it.  The ballista arrows after being fired fall down into the collection area to the east so they can be reused.  I have a constant stream of haulers grabbing arrows from the collection area and hauling them back to the ammo stockpile.  The ballista is managing to fire nearly non-stop, the operator only having to take breaks for food or drink.

The problem with just scaring the animals into the firing range is that I wanted to be able to select what animals I was shooting at.  Whales are a rare spawn, I had to catch hundreds of other fish before enough whales showed up to set up the shot.  I have an animal stockpile full of sharks and fish, bycatch from the operation.  I also wanted to catch a breeding pair of sea serpents for a bit of farming on the side.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 09:58:00 am »

Astonishing. Truly astonishing.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Hotaru

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange foreigner fond of industry
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 10:04:58 am »

Incidentally, how much is a whale aquarium worth in dwarfbucks?

You would think a lot, but then...
It is said knowledge is like a foul-smelling herb. It must be cooked well and thoroughly with experience to make it palatable. A young scholar's knowledge is therefore not only worthless but disgusting. -- In Dwarf Fortress you have another paradigm. Gather as much of that smelly herb as you can and toss it at your enemy, fracturing his skull through the +capybara man leather cap+.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 10:48:05 am »

Have my *Sheep Wool Socks*!
Oh, my feet are cold...
Anyway...
Big creatures like Whales could potentially stand up to large shot from something like a siege weapon.
Have you tried any smaller fish besides those tuna?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2012, 10:49:41 am »

Have you tried any smaller fish besides those tuna?

Not yet.  Smaller creatures don't last long enough in the target chamber for me to even get off enough shots at them - they get pushed through the wall grates and air-drown.  I may redesign it with a second layer of grates to try and keep fish inside.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2012, 11:34:46 am »

Sharks seem about Medium Size between Whales and small fish...
You should do experiments about how easy it is for certain size creatures to be pushed through grates...
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 11:36:53 am »

If you would please, can you post/PM me with a list of your good threads?  It seems that Dwarven Relativity fails to do you justice.  I'm now motivated to make you your own section, because every single thing that you do is amazing.

Spoiler: Take It. (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7