Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse Stories  (Read 9450 times)

Dactylos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombie Apocalypse Stories
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:40:21 pm »

So, I just got back into DF, decided I wanted to do something new. And challenging. So I embarked on a Terrifying forest... Oooooh my...

It was like balancing on a tightrope above razorblades. One misstep and your fortress dies. Permenantly. Re-embarking is not an option, but I'll get to that in a bit.

I embarked like I normally do. Taking the usual mix of dwarves. I remembered evil biomes had a lot of vermin in non-frozen climates, so I took a couple cats to suppliment my usual stock of wardogs. Besides the dogs I had one designated axedwarf for defense.

I was not prepared... nope...

I was fine up until my woodcutter said hello to some giant boars. He led them back, but it was okay. We took only a few hits... just the dogs dieing... sad but not disastrous, right? Right?

Zombie dogs. Next... which then manage to rip apart a dwarf before dieing. Then... zombie dwarf... and multiple pieces of zombie dwarf... Each attack whittled down my force more and more as they got weaker and weaker... the zombies only getting stronger and stronger... until things rapidly go south.

Now for why re-embark is impossible. When you get onto the map, the game scatters a few corpses around. Of animals and previous victims. Inside your fort. Where they soon rise from the dead... see where I am getting? I even tried embarking with seven axedwarves... but I couldnt clear out the mess. Inevitably they would take down a dwarf... then that dwarf would rise as a zombie and take down one of the now wounded dwarves, which would... Yeah you get the picture.

In short, Evil areas are brutal, unforgiving, and very very challenging. Good luck.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Zombie Apocalypse Stories
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:41:11 pm »

Reclaiming is always an option!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:49:09 pm »

In short, Evil areas are brutal, unforgiving, and very very challenging. Good luck.

You say this like it's a bad thing.  We see it as a challenge.  Give it a week and everyone will have evil-biome forts that have pleasant forests and birdsong surrounding them.  Till they're harvested for lumber to fuel the player's next obscene death machine, of course.

Dactylos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 09:50:27 pm »

I suppose if you really wanted you could build a second fortress, not connected to the first, undead filled one. Until you train a military to retake it.

But by that point... is it worth it?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 09:51:38 pm »

I suppose if you really wanted you could build a second fortress, not connected to the first, undead filled one. Until you train a military to retake it.

Of course!  It's YOUR fetid zombie-filled hole in the ground.  Why should the shambling undead get to live in it when it belongs to you?!

Dactylos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 09:54:25 pm »

You say this like it's a bad thing.  We see it as a challenge.  Give it a week and everyone will have evil-biome forts that have pleasant forests and birdsong surrounding them.  Till they're harvested for lumber to fuel the player's next obscene death machine, of course.

Of course it is a challenge. Thats how I see it as well. I just didnt realize how much of a challenge. I am currently looking for another terrifying forest to settle in. Had to delete my saves because of the new 0.34.02 ver.

BUT I WILL PERSEVERE I wont let this be the end of my attempt to slice out a piece of undead territory.

My greatest problem is trying to find out a way to save migrants... hmm... I'll figure it out eventually.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 09:58:01 pm »

People keep saying that doing an Evil embark is like experiencing a Zombie Apocalypse but that's not accurate. In a zombie apocalypse the zombies overwhelm the inhabitants corrupting the land and trapping a band of survivors. In DF a group of people with a perfectly fine place to live, look at a corrupted hellhole overrun by the legions of the undead boot them out and say "No, we live here now."

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 10:03:27 pm »

In a zombie apocalypse the zombies overwhelm the inhabitants corrupting the land and trapping a band of survivors. In DF a group of people with a perfectly fine place to live, look at a corrupted hellhole overrun by the legions of the undead boot them out and say "No, we live here now."

If I had the room, I'd sig this.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 10:04:20 pm »

You need to go in to your fort in adventure mode, clear it out, put the corpses in a backpack(while you can), and leave.  Then re-embark. 

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 10:06:41 pm »

People keep saying that doing an Evil embark is like experiencing a Zombie Apocalypse but that's not accurate. In a zombie apocalypse the zombies overwhelm the inhabitants corrupting the land and trapping a band of survivors. In DF a group of people with a perfectly fine place to live, look at a corrupted hellhole overrun by the legions of the undead boot them out and say "No, we live here now."
Just wait until the fine maniacs of this forum figure out how to weaponize the zombies like they have everything else.
Then it's not a question of who lives where. It's going up to fear and death incarnate and saying, "Yeah, you work for me now."
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 10:09:40 pm »

Just wait until the fine maniacs of this forum figure out how to weaponize the zombies like they have everything else.
Then it's not a question of who lives where. It's going up to fear and death incarnate and saying, "Yeah, you work for me now."

I haven't played the new version yet as I'm waiting for my favourite tileset to update (as well as wait in case of any more bugfixes), but I already have several ideas regarding this.  Oh my, yes...

Do necromancers have trapavoid, incidentally?  Purely curiosity, of course...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 10:10:34 pm »

I've already done it. It requires a split biome evil embark and a hole to throw things in. Only certain areas raise the dead and it's possible for one biome on an embark to do it while the other doesn't, using this you can engage zombies on the non-raising part of the map or drag their bodies to that side to kill them and keep them dead. You can then create a pit that terminates in a holding cell on the evil side to throw corpses in with an outdoor, lever controlled, floor hatch covering a staircase that leads to the holding cell. Throw any prospective zombies into the hole and let them age to get that rich smoky flavor and when a siege comes open the hatch.

Dactylos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 10:13:50 pm »

You need to go in to your fort in adventure mode, clear it out, put the corpses in a backpack(while you can), and leave.  Then re-embark.

Is it bad that I have never played Adventure mode? >_>

Rodge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 11:14:43 pm »

In a zombie apocalypse the zombies overwhelm the inhabitants corrupting the land and trapping a band of survivors. In DF a group of people with a perfectly fine place to live, look at a corrupted hellhole overrun by the legions of the undead boot them out and say "No, we live here now."

If I had the room, I'd sig this.
Just did, if he doesn't mind.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 11:32:40 pm »

How would that even work? If you started a second fortress, how would you get to the other?
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.
Pages: [1] 2