Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse Stories  (Read 9449 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Zombie Apocalypse Stories
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 11:34:34 pm »

Reclaiming is always an option!

I suppose if you really wanted you could build a second fortress, not connected to the first, undead filled one. Until you train a military to retake it.

But by that point... is it worth it?

How would that even work? If you started a second fortress, how would you get to the other?

Walk.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 11:38:45 pm »

I suppose if you really wanted you could build a second fortress, not connected to the first, undead filled one. Until you train a military to retake it.

How would that even work? If you started a second fortress, how would you get to the other?

Walk.

Pff, walking. Silly barbarians. This is the age of water canal highways, M'boi
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Dactylos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 11:41:11 pm »

I mean embark on the same tile as the fortress, but build your second fortress around your first.

Wastedlabor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 11:45:22 pm »

You think zombie dogs are bad, wait for the zombie wren men. :'(
He stole an onion. Off with his head.
I wonder, what would they do if someone killed their king.
Inevitable, who cares. Now an onion...

Dactylos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:45 pm »

You think zombie dogs are bad, wait for the zombie wren men. :'(

...... WHY DID YOU MENTION THEM!?

I already had my entire fortress wiped out by a giant zombie wren. I had built walls around my embark sight, started to make a home, then the wren flew straight over the walls, down the staircase, and brought Fun to all.

That scenario made me find out what floor hatches were used for.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 12:23:26 am »

Now for why re-embark is impossible. When you get onto the map, the game scatters a few corpses around. Of animals and previous victims. Inside your fort. Where they soon rise from the dead... see where I am getting? I even tried embarking with seven axedwarves suicidal maniacs... but I couldnt clear out the mess. Inevitably they would take down a dwarf... then that dwarf would rise as a zombie and take down one of the now wounded dwarves, which would... Yeah you get the picture.

First rule of the new evil biomes, only bring Maceman/Hammers as military.  Anything that can cut off hands/heads will be a liability, marksdorfs are fairly useless (you only need a handful to chase away melee sieges after you seal yourself in).  I'm still waiting on a story of someone rushing a zombie hydra with axelords  :D

But eh, yeah, funny zombie stories, it was the summer of first year in one of my forts, I had it locked down due to ice wolves and fox turned to zombie from the rain.  Unfortunately, I forgot to check if any of my dorfs suffered any symptoms from the rain, well, one dropped dead in the middle of my food production area which also happens to be the main traffic area of the fort.  Lost like 5 guys before I managed to burrow the rest into the living quarters via backroute burrows.  Thinking I managed to survive, I started digging up, out of no where, I see canceling spams, wondering what's wrong, I took a look, one of my dogs and cats have apparently been exposed to the rain and died when I was doing the sealing off.  With nowhere else to hide, the sealed off area became a zombie snack bar. 

Baselope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 07:52:37 pm »

My second fort.  Warm "easy" biome with lots of wood.  only thing missing was a bit of coal and iron ore was hard to find, but definitely newbieland.  I was doing great so far with some reasonably sturdy military for my third year, rapidly improving.  I had a pretty good idea vampires were in my future but so far my gem dwarf was making the traders weep with joy and pile good things on me.  My thoughts were all around figuring out how to drill my archers best, whether i'd be able to put that new trap hall to use, details of plumbing I was trying to learn and work out, and the joys of underground trogdolyte fighting.

Then SHOCK HORROR!  I was out of booze!  I thought "this is it"!  But NO, a caravan comes to save the day.  Hooray, live another day!  But then, undead kolbold forces approach.  No sweat I think, nice way to figure out this archer tower thing i think.  And then No.... Nooooo.... Stuck hatch.... ok two new emergency doors up, Urich, wheres that third one?????  No... not the GOOOSE!!!   And, finally, the Dwarf Therapist strangely still registers about 14 dwarves (the vampires??) who all are "content" with an "incredibly calm demeanor".

I didn't get to pull the emergency flood destruct lever :(

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »

I actualy had a nice little fort completly self-contained in its own little bubble, with the surface sealed off, the military builded up, and with 70+ dwarves with there own little rooms. Than came the alert that one of the old cows had a infection and died. There were no survivers.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2012, 09:01:05 pm »

I actualy had a nice little fort completly self-contained in its own little bubble, with the surface sealed off, the military builded up, and with 70+ dwarves with there own little rooms. Than came the alert that one of the old cows had a infection and died. There were no survivers.

I love this.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: 1 [2]