Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Werewolf vs. Vampire vs. Murk Creature - Choosing your undead race  (Read 34766 times)

100killer9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, so we all know that the most horrible mass murder is best accomplished by first becoming a necromancer. But THEN what? What if you want to be even MORE invincible?
Well, that's what we're discussing here!
Discuss the pros and cons of becoming a vampire, a werewolf, or a murk creature, and I'll list them here if I can be bothered to remember!

Spoiler: Vampirism (click to show/hide)

I don't know enough about Lycanthropy and Mistism yet, so information would be appreciated!
Just out of curiosity, what DOES Dwarf Fortress smell like?
Death, Booze, and Insanity.
Ladders are absolutely essential for one reason and one reason only:

Welcome, friends to Slaves to Armok III: Snakes and Ladders.

Cbast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Werewolf vs. Vampire vs. Murk Creature - Choosing your undead race
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:14 pm »

I'm highly interested. I've just became a Necromancer and I want more. Also I already have Superhuman strength, does the strength bonus due to vampirism still apply ? In that case how does it work ?

Dwarf Fortress is sure an awesome game :L

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:22:32 pm »

Vampromancer!  I get the raise the dead and be a vampire!
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:39:59 pm »

being a murk husk and a necromancer essentially makes you a lich... you are immune to nerve damage... but everyone hates you. I don't think vampires and husks can get tired.

Pros: No Nerve damage
No breathing
undead
no pain (questionable)

cons:
people hate you
speed debuff (questionable)

Were-ism

pros: full regeneration/increased stats once a month

cons: no weapons or armor as a werecreature
worthless when you aren't a werecreature
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:45:39 pm by Megaman_zx »
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 12:03:13 am »

Husk all the way. Have you seen the husk thread? They're capable of beating all but the most powerful demons.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:29 am »

Vampires:
- You are undead, so you get benefits such as not needing air, but you still need your brain to survive.
- Double speed, strength, and damage reduction.
- Immunity to were-creature bites.
- Physical attributes locked in place.

Necromancer:
- You are still living, though immortal. You need your air, blood, brain, etc. (UNLESS COMBINED WITH VAMPIRE)
- Zombie pets! (a game-breaker ability if you animate powerful enemies)

Were-creature:
- You are still living, and mostly mortal/normal. You still need to eat/drink/sleep.
- Your strengths and weaknesses kick in once a month (otherwise a normal dude)
- Strength, speed, immunities, doesn't need air, trapavoid, contagious bite, glowing eyes, etc. when transformed
- Weapon material weakness when transformed
- Legendary+5 stealth when transformed
- Immunity to vampire blood.
- When you transform, you regain all missing limbs and heal all injuries, but you drop all your items.

Thrall/husk/zombie/etc. of the mist/cloud/murk/etc.:
- Completely undead (ageless, don't need air/food/water/sleep/etc.)
- You can see without your eyes.
- You move slower than normal.
- Triple strength and toughness.
- You no longer need your brain, spine, or nerves to move around.
- All living creatures are hostile to you.

I know you can become a vampire necromancer. Perhaps you can add husk on top of that to become more powerful.

I read that if a were-creature is chopped into bits, the necromancer-animated body parts will regenerate into were-creature clones and then change back later into fully-healed zombies.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:43 am »

I read that if a were-creature is chopped into bits, the necromancer-animated body parts will regenerate into were-creature clones and then change back later into fully-healed zombies.

that has lots of possibilities.... necromancer scientists unite!!!!
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Megablob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:05 am »

Thanks for the info. The only real bad thing about husks are that everyone is hostile! sucks

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:52:16 am »

Thanks for the info. The only real bad thing about husks are that everyone is hostile! sucks
Of course if you can lay waste to everything in your path this doesn't sound like much of a problem.

Question though. I remember reading that being a husk/thrall was contagious. Like, if a husk injured something else, it would become a husk sooner or later. Is this true of you too? Could you theoretically hop from town to town, kicking peasants in the shin and running for your life, and slowly spread the taint across all of civilization? Because man to hell with the debug wait period, I will play this version here and now for that.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 06:20:35 am »

I'd like it better if you could use werebeast form at will once you were infected. Being a savage killing machine once per ingame month seems kind of weaksauce.

Can it be done by modifying the raws?
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 06:43:53 am »

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but necromancers don't need to eat, drink or sleep, in addition to being able to raise corpses. Plus Mummies are friendly to them.

Rapozk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 06:56:36 am »

Mod a summoner, be able to summon fire imps that throw fireballs. And demons... (The demons should kill everyone even you for more fun)

Now that would be awesome.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08:12 am »

Of course if you can lay waste to everything in your path this doesn't sound like much of a problem.

Question though. I remember reading that being a husk/thrall was contagious. Like, if a husk injured something else, it would become a husk sooner or later. Is this true of you too? Could you theoretically hop from town to town, kicking peasants in the shin and running for your life, and slowly spread the taint across all of civilization? Because man to hell with the debug wait period, I will play this version here and now for that.

It turns out that the husks are covered with contaminants of the goop that turned them into husks, in fortress mode. Touching a husk who is dripping with evil slime also turns you into a husk. However, if you walk in the rain or through a river while returning to civilization, that won't happen. If possible, you'd pick up slime off the ground in the evil region and put it in a bag for later use on humans. Ideally, an evil region is close enough to a human city that you could walk without using travel mode and start hugging people.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 10:15:29 am »

vampire - i lost speed after turning.  went from 1400ish to 1200ish
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Plazek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 10:17:45 am »

It turns out that the husks are covered with contaminants of the goop that turned them into husks, in fortress mode. Touching a husk who is dripping with evil slime also turns you into a husk. However, if you walk in the rain or through a river while returning to civilization, that won't happen. If possible, you'd pick up slime off the ground in the evil region and put it in a bag for later use on humans. Ideally, an evil region is close enough to a human city that you could walk without using travel mode and start hugging people.

So in fortress mode if you make a fort in an evil region it would be wise to make an entrance with a decontamination chamber.

Epic :D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6