Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Too many animal men!  (Read 13878 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many animal men!
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 08:43:38 am »

Some animals I can imagine being "Generic man" such as all snakes, most birds, and some rodents.

The issue is that I wouldn't put everything into it. A Penguinman seems better as a Penguinman over a Avianman. A Capabaraman is better as that instead of a Rodentman.

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 09:36:08 am »

If you merge animal men into generics, like birdmen, you'd probably want to keep the traits from the specific species. So there would still be hawk-men, but they could breed with eagle men to form hawk-eagle men hybrids. All of them would be labeled as birdmen.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 11:00:54 am »

I'd be cool with having generic birdmen, bugmen, reptilemen and so forth that have a procedual description like "A <good|evil|savage|uncivilized|whatever> humanoid found <deep underground|in the wilds>. This one appears most similiar to a <species>." It has <insert current body descriptions here>

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 09:10:00 pm »

Some animals I can imagine being "Generic man" such as all snakes, most birds, and some rodents.

The issue is that I wouldn't put everything into it. A Penguinman seems better as a Penguinman over a Avianman. A Capabaraman is better as that instead of a Rodentman.

Exactly! Wasn't suggesting genericizing all animalmen, but maybe combining some of the specific subspecies into one, like say just parrot men instead of kea men and others.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 10:48:13 pm »

I'd be way more interested in just giving each site a narrower variety of *men.  Also, allowing real animals on the map at the same time as them.  :V
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 11:03:48 pm »

I'd be way more interested in just giving each site a narrower variety of *men.  Also, allowing real animals on the map at the same time as them.  :V

This combined with a suggestion I made in another thread.

The prevalence of Animalmen is a bit disturbing. I for one would prefer if they took on a kind of kobold-like psuedo-civilization that is tied to the environment the templated creature lives in. Sites would get raided occasionally by Animalmen, but only as raids or sieges, and the Animalmen would not replace "real" wildlife.
Or even make them similar to the underground animal men but above ground. Ideally both underground and overground animal men will be expanded some. I'd like to see them ambush our dwarves and similar. Having them get angry at you killing their non-animal kin would be nice. Shouldn't elves recruit them during wars?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2012, 11:28:48 am »

Yeah. Just pick ten or so animal species per world that will have *men varieties, and generate a tribe of each of those.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 06:00:14 pm »

I think a lot of them would be better handled as castes within more generic umbrella species. This way we could have a 'lizard man' who has iguana characteristics, and another 'lizard man' who has gila monster characteristics, and another that is similar to a Komodo dragon. It would be interesting running into warbands or camps of these sorts of creatures with all their different varieties. It would help make them seem unique, without overcrowding everythign with the multitude of sometimes too specific animal-subspecies-men.

My 2 cents.

Hylas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2012, 06:38:00 pm »

Yes. My two cents follows. Actual suggestions in bold. Spoilered because it's long.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2012, 08:35:01 pm »

What are you talking about Jothki?  That's what the thread is about, reducing the frequency of Animal Man encounters, or at least controlling them in some way to make the experience more immersive.

Personally, I think it would be cool if Toady made animal men rarer but able to form small civilizations.  If any Animal Men civilization prospered enough, then they would be given a random new species name and that species would then be able to make major civilizations like the Elves, Humans, Dwarves, etc.  And then they could also be chosen for adventuring.  But only if it happens during world gen or something.  But this would keep each world unique, because while all worlds would likely have some amount of Elephant Men, not all worlds would have Elephant men be capable of creating civilizations or being available for adventuring.

I agree with this post.

Make them exist, but most of them in smaller amounts.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2012, 01:17:23 am »

Another consideration is that perhaps animal men, or at least the more specific species-men, could be reserved for deities. A lot of earth religions have deities that are hybrids of man/woman and animal, including some very specific species. This sort of thing could help flesh out gods without getting rid of the -men completely. This way gods could have a diverse range of appearances, and there would be appropriate bodies for their avatars on the mortal realm as well as their minions. Meanwhile, more generic men like lizard men would still have their own niche as minor pseudo-civs the same way they do now, without cluttering up the maps with multitudes of unbutcherable animal men.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2012, 12:08:49 pm »

If you merge animal men into generics, like birdmen, you'd probably want to keep the traits from the specific species. So there would still be hawk-men, but they could breed with eagle men to form hawk-eagle men hybrids. All of them would be labeled as birdmen.

That just puts us back where we started.

If there are hawk-men in your world, there should not be eagle-men. They fill the same niche.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2012, 02:05:01 pm »

And if there are hawks in the world there shouldn't be eagles? But they fill the same niche!
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2012, 03:24:50 pm »

If there are hawk-men in your world, there should not be eagle-men. They fill the same niche.

There would not be hawk-men or eagle-men. there would only be bird men, some of which would have eagle-like characteristics, while others would have hawk-like characteristics. It's a win-win situation where birdmen get diverse appearances and traits, without cluttering up the world map with dozens of varieties of bird-men. This way, encountering animal men will be a more memorable event, and won't lead to them being more prevalent than the animals they represent in some cases.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2012, 04:26:13 pm »

There would not be hawk-men or eagle-men. there would only be bird men, some of which would have eagle-like characteristics, while others would have hawk-like characteristics. It's a win-win situation where birdmen get diverse appearances and traits, without cluttering up the world map with dozens of varieties of bird-men. This way, encountering animal men will be a more memorable event, and won't lead to them being more prevalent than the animals they represent in some cases.

I think combining all animal men into one species, or even combining all birds into one species, is taking it to the extreme. I think it would be better if we had hawk men and eagle men, instead of (just for example) golden eagle men + stellar eagle men. and red-tailed hawk men + kestrel men.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5