Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Too many animal men!  (Read 13851 times)

JasonMel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Too many animal men!
« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2012, 02:00:51 pm »

I like the diversity, and I don't see any reason to consolidate the animal-people varieties into categories, any more than I think animals themselves should be so consolidated.

Neither do I mind the frequency of animal people and giant animals. It really makes those biomes where they exist eerie to be in. It's great for atmosphere. The fact that normal animals have their own normal regions and fantastically altered, animal-like creatures have their own, more remote, regions gives those different regions a great way of being different from each other, and having distinct personalities.

The only change I might like to see is in the descriptions of animal people. Specifically, I wish they weren't all merely people with animal heads. I wish they could be anthropomorphosed in more creative ways, ways that might differ from species to species and involve more than simple structural permutations or body part mix-and-match.

Some also need better descriptions. I don't know what a Kea is!

I'm with you on that. Had to google that very one. :D

I thought that was the point of including animals like kea, kakapo, chinchilla, and so on. Their inclusion encourages players to find out about these animals and their status as threatened species, care about them, educate themselves, and hopefully make a difference.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2012, 02:13:13 pm »

I'd like to see a limited number of animal-men at worldgen, then secrets like "Elevate Vermin" and "Elevate Beast."

Then you could end up with things like towers filled not with zombies and necromanders, but King Cobra-men and Cobra Commanders, or maybe even have some of them who move into their elevator's hometown and become productive members of that civilization.

Of course in Adventure mode, you can discover the secrets, then play Pokémon and try to get one of every species as a follower.

I support this with enthusiasm.

I support this also.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2012, 02:14:24 pm »

I support above idea, but also, in the future, maybe make them recruits for the military. Skilled bushrangers can make the difference in ambushes.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 02:18:00 pm »

I support above idea, but also, in the future, maybe make them recruits for the military. Skilled bushrangers can make the difference in ambushes.

Indeed, we can already have tiger men in the fortress as unofficial residents. I think it was also planned at one time in the dev arcs to include multi-racial settlements, particularly when dwarves conquer another site. Why not include animal men as handy bushrangers as you've said? Friendly toad men could patrol the underground watersupplies and rivers. Perhaps you could even integrate them into your society when you successfully do the "first contact" thing; your dwarves dig into a cavern and happen across a camp of animal men. Give them enough food and develop some kind of communication, agree to mutual protection. Eventually they will join you as members of your fortress (but not in the traditional sense).

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 02:19:50 pm »

Makes me wish That taming animal men made them members of your fortress, as citizens. I had a fortress downing in captured badgermen I wanted to serve in my army as auxillaries. I had images of goblins fleeing terror as emotionally unstable dwarves sallied forth leading badgermen into battle.

And maybe a means of brainwashing prisoners of war into joining your fortress as citizens...

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 02:23:19 pm »

I just go Dfusion and Runesmith if I want those, for the moment. So far, I have squads of badgermen bushrangers waiting outside with crossbows.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 02:23:58 pm »

Makes me wish That taming animal men made them members of your fortress, as citizens. I had a fortress downing in captured badgermen I wanted to serve in my army as auxillaries. I had images of goblins fleeing terror as emotionally unstable dwarves sallied forth leading badgermen into battle.

And maybe a means of brainwashing prisoners of war into joining your fortress as citizens...

Both of which seem to be planned features (or were during the old development arc). Maybe not specifically with animal men, but certainly close to that.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:33 pm »

I just go Dfusion and Runesmith if I want those, for the moment. So far, I have squads of badgermen bushrangers waiting outside with crossbows.

I haven't the slightest idea how to update those to the new version. If you could enlighten me, please do.
Both of which seem to be planned features (or were during the old development arc). Maybe not specifically with animal men, but certainly close to that.

If those are indeed an eventual planned feature, I have one more reason to praise Toady.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 02:28:18 pm »

Runesmith is already updated, and I'll see if dfusion as a standalone still works.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 02:29:07 pm »

I haven't the slightest idea how to update those to the new version. If you could enlighten me, please do.

If those are indeed an eventual planned feature, I have one more reason to praise Toady.

The reason for me thinking that was the inclination towards conquered sites and "forced administrators" that would rule over the goblins in captured goblin fortresses and such. There was stuff in the old dev arc information about conquering sites and such, as well as being able to play as humans in a sort of "Human Town" mode instead of Fortress Mode, as well as Goblins and Elves. You may need to ask a more learned man than I of course; footkerchief or that SirPenguin chap for example.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 03:24:57 pm »

I thought that was the point of including animals like kea, kakapo, chinchilla, and so on. Their inclusion encourages players to find out about these animals and their status as threatened species, care about them, educate themselves, and hopefully make a difference.

The Kea gives you a description, however limited. Keaman only tells you it is a Kea + Man.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]