Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 255216 times)

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #225 on: March 01, 2012, 06:02:46 am »

Posting to follow.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: March 01, 2012, 09:48:23 am »

In fact, as proof that it's highly addictive and I should probably go to rehab, here's long cut detailing another world I made back in the day.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once DF 2010 came out I realized it was a waste of time and dropped the project, though. One day I'd like to do a full worldbuild, but it sure is a lot of work for not much point beyond the satisfaction of building/creating.

God dangit. That is precisely what I've been trying to do. (I want to use a DF world as the basis of a D&D campaign.)
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: March 01, 2012, 11:58:17 am »

In fact, as proof that it's highly addictive and I should probably go to rehab, here's long cut detailing another world I made back in the day.

Once DF 2010 came out I realized it was a waste of time and dropped the project, though. One day I'd like to do a full worldbuild, but it sure is a lot of work for not much point beyond the satisfaction of building/creating.

God dangit. That is precisely what I've been trying to do. (I want to use a DF world as the basis of a D&D campaign.)

So you're one of those sadistic GMs who  build up whole settings just so they can TPK their players in the first serious encounter?  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: March 01, 2012, 12:44:47 pm »

So you're one of those sadistic GMs who  build up whole settings just so they can TPK their players in the first serious encounter?  :P
Now now, only if they insist on begin stupid... like my current party. (And yet somehow they always manage to survive.) I'm sure it wouldn't be quite as dangerous as DF... probably. ;)
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Anataru

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: March 01, 2012, 03:41:57 pm »

p-p-posting to watch!  Awe-inspiring distraction indeed!

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: March 01, 2012, 06:52:12 pm »

I pitched the idea of an external app that can read your fortress and spit out maps, character sheets, and possibly potential plot points based on recent world events upon reading a fortress. My buddies thought I was crazy. Pity I'm not terribly familiar with any of the serious TTRPG systems... or DF memoryhacking... so I guess they are right.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: March 01, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »

I was read an article recently, and I found a quote that describes Vanod quite well.  "Their balls are of sufficient duration and size to enter the mainstream ... seen in nature."

I know, I know, another ball joke, but this thread was the first thing I thought of after reading it.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: March 01, 2012, 08:12:09 pm »

I pitched the idea of an external app that can read your fortress and spit out maps, character sheets, and possibly potential plot points based on recent world events upon reading a fortress. My buddies thought I was crazy. Pity I'm not terribly familiar with any of the serious TTRPG systems... or DF memoryhacking... so I guess they are right.
Oh that would be cool.

chicagohotdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:07 pm »

Wow Earwig, you are a talented artist and great story teller!  I am too busy with school/work to play much DF but it is awesome to read about other exciting stories like this one.  As far as what other people flaming/complaining in this thread, I actually searched each page to read what you wrote because I don't care what others may have said.  Will definitely be following this!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: March 02, 2012, 02:20:02 am »

Awesomely done, very nice read, and  the art is great.

Can't wait to read more about Vanod

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: March 02, 2012, 10:08:39 pm »

This kind of stuff makes me truly happy to read! DF is an awesome game/toy, and an irreplaceable launch point for fantasy worldbuilding/story writing if you so desire. It just gives you the hard data without telling you how you should feel about anything in the world, meaning you can really paint your own personalities and encourage personal attachment if you so choose. I adore it. :D

I do this exact same thing. Detailed maps of every city, I even finished a world trade map once in year 2000 or something like that. It was pretty epic. Right now I'm busy detailing every kill, step, and person I meet. I think I'm starting to come to the conclusion that DF is a little bit too complex for just one person to tackle, unless you just want to have fun.
Playing since 2007

RomanGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Baruk khazad! Khazad ai-menu!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: March 03, 2012, 02:53:17 am »

Awesome, posting to watch!
The world is grey, the mountains old,
the forge's fire is ashen cold.
No harp is wrung, no hammer falls,
the darkness dwells in Durin's halls.
In Moria, in Khazad-dum.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: March 03, 2012, 05:25:01 am »

Legendary Thread. DF 0.34 has his first legend!

KelisMetal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: March 03, 2012, 07:43:41 pm »

Posting to watch, This shit screams metal. Bloodbath's So You Die is definately Vanods theme song. It blairs in the background everytime he kills something, fact.

Mikymikmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Local Forum Goblin Lover + Elf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: March 03, 2012, 08:55:37 pm »

Where's the link for the island!?!?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 39