Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 256143 times)

Arthandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #135 on: February 24, 2012, 02:33:20 pm »

your allowed to get the map and start as non demigod if you want :P
Why would I? I'm not writing any stories, and if I would, I would be playing as a peasant as I always do.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 24, 2012, 03:45:46 pm »

I don't see why starting as a demigod ruins anything. 

For those who haven't played Adventure Mode before, despite the name, "Demigod" is far and wide considered the 'normal' way to generate your adventurer.  With a demigod adventurer in full armor, and a party of adventurers at your back,  you will still die, horribly.  To much less impressive things than troll-hordes and giant titan-chickens I might add.

So, yeah, Vabok's badassery is not diminished.
My proud turn in Failcannon | Uzolnom - "Oiledgod"

Quote from: Mego
I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 24, 2012, 03:52:38 pm »

I usually go through 5 demigods in bronze/iron armor before one survives long enough to make a name. Grizzly bears and archers are the nemesis. One adventurer sticks to mind particularly. He was traveling alone, he could easily fight off a few bogeymen, slaughtered grizzlies by the dozens, blocked or dodged any arrow so far and got killed when a lucky grizzly broke his leg and continued to slowly chew him up.

so yeah, very tough

you know how long it takes a grizzly to claw through an iron helm? Let's keep it at long, then the bearstard finally bit and shook around by the head which FINALLY caused severe bleeding which ended it quickly.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 04:09:21 pm by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 24, 2012, 04:02:31 pm »

I had nearly ten...  I think the actual total was 7 or 8, but anyway... fall to a pit which had goblins in the bottom.  Mere goblins.  But one was an archer.  While my adventurers were busy slaughtering the melee goblins every inch of the three Z levels down the bottom (and they spaced themselves out PERFECTLY, somehow) they gave that damn archer some perfect shots.

That last adventurer got quite a haul when she finally did that archer in.  Beaned him with a copper hammer, and then his own companions severed leg, before closing for the kill.

I opened up the Unread Replies page and saw that you were the last poster. I got scared. Something about you posting scares me, ever since Failcannon.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 24, 2012, 05:05:33 pm »

Yeah, Demigod is just a way to speed up the natural selection process.

Oh, and the most badass thing I've ever seen one of my adventurers do was bat away an arrow flying at him.  With a hammer.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Arthandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2012, 05:16:12 pm »

I always considered demigod, hero and peasant as easy, normal and hard difficulty settings respectively. I usually play as a peasant because I like the challenge and "from zero to hero" theme :)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2012, 05:35:23 pm »

Eh, I'd class it more as 'normal', 'hard', and 'suicidal'.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2012, 06:00:09 pm »

I used to think of it as difficulty (scaling from Hard, to Nightmare, to Bad and Also Fatal Practical Joke) but have come to think of it more as a question of scale.

The truth is, if you play a peasant, you probably shouldn't go out and try to kill bandits, let alone night creatures.  Demigods go slay Grendel's Mom in her lair.  Heroes purge the land of bandits.  Peasants...

Peasants whack rocks together to make them sharp then throw them at rabbits until they kill one, then make it supper.  Then they train for long grueling weeks, wrestling the local fluffy wamblers, hoping that one day, one day... they too, will have their moment of glory.

In the meantime, if a damn lion shows up, you will run the hell away from it.  Small steps.  Maybe start with a badger.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2012, 06:24:42 pm »

i think of them as more of "not much training" "some training" and "too much training"
really when i start a game i wana get to playing not sit and macro/grind my guy an insane amount just to have him struck down with a single shot to the face xD

tho really if i did start as a peasant i most likely wouldn't get killed cus i'd spend almost a whole real life day training my guy in armor shield and dodge alone.

that and i almost never die from arrows and bolts like everyone else seems to be having so many problems with recently.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Arthandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2012, 06:28:47 pm »

Peasants whack rocks together to make them sharp then throw them at rabbits until they kill one, then make it supper.  Then they train for long grueling weeks, wrestling the local fluffy wamblers, hoping that one day, one day... they too, will have their moment of glory.

In the meantime, if a damn lion shows up, you will run the hell away from it.  Small steps.  Maybe start with a badger.
No, it's not that bad. You just have to play smart instead of rambo style as demigod.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2012, 06:41:04 pm »

You can't paly 'rambo style' in dwarf fortress anyway: the RNG hates those movies and anyone that disagrees with it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2012, 06:52:04 pm »

Well it's fundamentally kindof random.  You can play smart even as a demigod all you want, sooner or later some random bandit will chip something and bring you down.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2012, 08:10:12 pm »

I used to be an adventurer like you guys.....then an arrow to the shoulder and the resulting bone chip left me in agonizing pain for 50 years.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

CatalystParadox

• Bay Watcher
  • hi ho, hi ho...
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2012, 08:29:36 pm »

No, it's not that bad. You just have to play smart instead of rambo style as demigod.

I know it's not actually that bad - but don't you know about the joys of grinding your throwing until you can shatter skulls by flinging vomit?

I used to be an adventurer like you guys.....then an arrow to the shoulder and the resulting bone chip left me in agonizing pain for 50 years.

I used to know someone who made those jokes.  The knee is not where I put the arrow.

Siraidan9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 24, 2012, 09:24:33 pm »

Ah the bandit archers... I remember I actually killed several groups of bandits once during the spam fest of bandit ambush that was 34.01. on the edge of my vision I saw a deer. Just a deer, it had some leg injury from something or other. Maybe one of my now dead companions swung at it when he should have been fighting, either way.

I wanted meat

So I ran at it, threw my good ole large dagger at it, clipped it in the chest, and it charged me. 'hmmph stupid deer *slashes at deer's front left leg* *miss* *deer counterstrike* *deer gores you in the head* 'WHAT!?! Oh I'm still alive I'll be fine.' *stab at deer's head* *miss* 'oh...' *counterstrike* 'Fuck...' *deer strikes you in the neck with front left hoof* *you have been struck down* '... A deer!?'
Slicity, slice, stab, stab, cut, thrust, roundhouse kick, hack
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 39