Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39

Author Topic: Adventures on Monster Island  (Read 253426 times)

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adventures on Monster Island
« Reply #240 on: March 03, 2012, 09:01:21 pm »

It's not up yet, I think Earwig was planning on waiting until Vanod succumbs to the horrors of the island before he posted the save and/or parameters.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 03, 2012, 09:31:29 pm »

Of course, Vanod will eat everything before then.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Mikymikmik

• Bay Watcher
  • Local Forum Goblin Lover + Elf Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 03, 2012, 09:52:25 pm »

:P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 05, 2012, 04:37:37 am »

I think this is shaping up to be Hall of Legends material. I'm not sure how to nominate, but someone should, if it hasn't been done already.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 05, 2012, 06:38:34 am »

Has been nominated for the Hall of Legends. I can say.

I can't believe I missed a thing like this.

Really, can't believe I missed a thing like this. [/cyclicreasoning]

Anyway, P.T.W.

:D

And a note, some images are not loading up, error on the site they're hosted on?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 05:17:16 am by Tiruin »

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 05, 2012, 08:01:16 am »

And a note, some images are not loading up, error on the site they're hosted on?

Ugh, damn it Tinypic. What a crap site. I'm going to start using imgur from now on. Just gimme hungry heads ups if it happens again.

I haven't slept yet today/night, which imo is the perfect time to work further on this adventure. Hopefully updating today (no guarantees, but I've done up a few sketches already :]  ). You've all been wonderfully patient, thank you!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:18:36 am by Earwig »
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 05, 2012, 10:27:36 am »

I pitched the idea of an external app that can read your fortress and spit out maps, character sheets, and possibly potential plot points based on recent world events upon reading a fortress. My buddies thought I was crazy. Pity I'm not terribly familiar with any of the serious TTRPG systems... or DF memoryhacking... so I guess they are right.

The Legends viewer program that parses XML from legends mode is pretty much this, minus the character sheets.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:29:37 am by puke »

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 05, 2012, 10:39:51 am »

I pitched the idea of an external app that can read your fortress and spit out maps, character sheets, and possibly potential plot points based on recent world events upon reading a fortress. My buddies thought I was crazy. Pity I'm not terribly familiar with any of the serious TTRPG systems... or DF memoryhacking... so I guess they are right.

The Legends viewer program that parses XML from legends mode is pretty much this, minus the character sheets.

I've used the XML for a few things, but until this latest release it was a little bit sparse. Now you can build a family tree for pretty much anybody, but character sheets are still going to be a bit sparse. I've seen a couple really good parsers (Legends Viewer anyone?) and put together a parser of my own, but nothing too fancy.

And I can't wait for this next release, I'd nominate it for the Hall.
Playing since 2007

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 05, 2012, 11:00:01 am »

Take your time, Earwig. It's always worth the wait.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tastysaurus Rex

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops!
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 05, 2012, 06:01:58 pm »

Yeah man, take as long as you need. It's not like Vanod's getting any less awesome.
That wasn't technically a miscarriage, but the doctors didn't have a concise term for "gave birth and immediately baptized the baby in liquid fire."
Dwarf Fortress: Killing people so you can draft their dogs into the army.

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2012, 06:53:39 pm »

photobucket is nice for images too btw, just a bit finicky with uploads.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 05, 2012, 08:09:33 pm »

photobucket is nice for images too btw, just a bit finicky with uploads.

As I recall, photobucket has a bandwidth limit. Go with imgur.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 05, 2012, 08:30:07 pm »

Yeah man, take as long as you need. It's not like Vanod's getting any less awesome.

He will get more hungry though.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 06, 2012, 04:53:03 am »

I heard that HBO has cut funding for the show, move along, nothing to see here.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Earwig

• Bay Watcher
  • the Awe-Inspiring Distraction
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2012, 05:38:36 am »

I heard that HBO has cut funding for the show, move along, nothing to see here.

haha aw shucks

Well I guess I'll just put this here then since it won't be needed anymore. Seeya, dudes :C

===

I find the night creatures hilarious and pathetic on this island. Without civilizations to pester they don't get stronger, they just hobbit it up in their hidey holes, eating various animal pastes and probably smoking pipe-weed. These are the defanged, peaceful grandmas of monster island.

Like Rupola, who was settling down for a honeybee mush dinner before Vanod rudely interrupted.

I think my biggest annoyance on this island- the "dingo pack" of Monster Island- is undead harpies. They're just EVERYWHERE. Generally I'll skirt around them because of how non-threatening they tend to be, but sometimes they'll pull me out of sneaking when I'm trying to get away from something much scarier, so they have to die.

Uh, again. Re-die.

Another issue I need to mention immediately is I'm a slow drawer, and a sketchy one, too. It's hard for me to do a blow-by-blow, screenshot, and draw in quick sucession, especially if I want to do other stuff that day. So I've been debating between quick and dirty, or slow and polished. I'll go quick and dirty for this post and we'll see what happens. I'll draw the bigger paintings for the bigger encounters (again, as was the plan from the start).

~

Shortly after my harpy encounter, I came across a suspiciously empty lair. I think it may tie in with my next encounter, though I'm not sure.

Interestingly, I came across a zombie ogre alone in a cave, Ofara.

I wonder (briefly) at his story. He must have died of old age outside of his lair, then wandered back in to another one as an undead.

And that's another thing I have to make note of. When things die inside of their lairs, from what I can tell, they don't reanimate. However, getting up and outside is usually my best chance of winning against hordes of monsters (like the cyclopes), meaning I either get hurled against walls by 10 semi-megabeasts at once, or pull them out bit by bit, crippling their legs or lungs and risking fighting a whole new zombie army right afterwards. I'm thinking ogre guy may have been a resident of the last lair that I came across empty, then wandered into this very slightly more southern one. Apparently undeath is Alzheimers for the monsters.

I also discovered that Murky Pools, being their own miniature biomes, produce non-undead to snack on. Of course once you kill them, they very well may stand back up. Usually they're pretty non-threatening though.

Except for this crab. This crab was a badass.

Finally, after scouting another strip of the island for delicious, screaming food (manually marching up and down, not 'T'ravelling),

I come across Nutcertain.

I'm Nutcertain what's inside- ha ha ha that was terrible-

but I'll try my best to murderate it.

Current map (I'm at the lowermost green dot):

I've grown slightly cocky since the last four lairs have been full of pansy monsters. The cyclopes were challenging, but after that was a hungry head, Bilbo, Rupola, and Ofara. All of them went down without fanfare.

I'm sure this will be the same.
Like my story of Vanod wandering through Monster Island?

Please vote for it to be included in the Hall of Legends!

And please enjoy my grumpy guest appearance (Enir Twigappears) in the awesome The Littlest Cheesemaker story by evictedSaint!
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 39