Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Priests in Dwarf Mode  (Read 2161 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Priests in Dwarf Mode
« on: February 21, 2012, 02:47:11 am »

This topic is about a new noble position, the Priest.

The position doesn't get activated until the fort has become a barony.  At this point, the citizens worry less about day-to-day survival, and start concerning themselves with more abstract matters, like worshipping their gods.  They'll want a chapel/temple in the fort to worship at, which will give them happy thoughts, and no temple means unhappy thoughts.  Either the priest is automatically raised from one of the god's followers in the fort or is assigned by the player.  Priests need to be at least faithful worshippers of the god.

Making a temple requires building an altar, and creating a temple as a room from the altar.  Each god worshipped by the civilization will have a single priest who requires a temple in addition to the usual bedroom and dining room.  The priest will also want typical amounts of cabinets and chests, but not the weapon and armor racks typically demanded.  Instead, he may want something like candelabra, lecterns, and/or desks, etc.  The priest issues mandates and demands similar to a baron.  Priests are lazy nobles, but they occasionally write books and stuff about their religion/god.

Priests impact the social life of the fort.  Consoler is an important skill for priests, and they become another noble who can console unhappy dwarves (usually the more faithful followers of their gods).  They become friends with dwarves who worship their god more readily, but tend to form grudges with nobles who do not follow their god.  They may also convince their followers to form similar relationships, the followers more readily become friends (and marry if single) with each other, and form more grudges with dwarves who aren't as faithful.  Perhaps the priest gets elevated to the position of high priest if the fort gets elevated to a duchy, and a another low ranking priest position underneath the high priest is generated. 

Why would a player want to put up with these guys?  In addition to calming upset dwarves (a bigger problem now with family immigrations I imagine), the priests help to protect the fort from vampire predation, or prehaps threats from various undead and night creatures.  I don't really have any clear ideas on this, but maybe the priest could make it easier to fight or kill a vampire, or prevent undead from coming back to life.  Maybe they provide a vital protection against necromacer assaults or some of the effects of evil biomes.  Though I imagine many players would rather throw the priests in the magma rather than the vampires....  :P
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Priests in Dwarf Mode
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 03:03:08 am »

Footkerchief! I summon thee!
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

obradenj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 05:21:52 am »

I personally would love to have more nobles and more noble uses just as long as i can remove a dwarf from the list of such because i dislike having a dwarf picked for something i did not groom him/her for.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 07:06:06 am »

We already have priests positions and temples in Adventure mode ...
therefore, yes, would be nice to have priests/temples in Fortress Mode as well.

Even if it is just a single temple (like in towns in adventure mode)
(maybe by associating your fortress with a single god/dess chosen from the gods your initial 7 revere
and then being able to build a temple for this god/dess in your fortress and assign (high)priest/s as noble position