Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Auto eat while fast travelling  (Read 1663 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Auto eat while fast travelling
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:04:38 pm »

Please add a toggle option that makes your adventurer consume a unit of food or drink available in their backpack whenever hungry/thirsty while in travel mode or when using "wait" in the sleep menu.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Auto eat while fast travelling
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:12:51 pm »

Make it so you can select what stack to eat from first, and then default to whatever is first in the list, just for those who want to nitpick.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:26:51 pm »

Don't forget the beer helmets, you get thirsty faster than hungry after all.

aka010101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:30:56 pm »

I'm all for just having the eating and drinking commands available while fast traveling. But it's a good idea, saves you from having to drop out of fast travel just to have lunch. Plus this would be an easy addition, less work for toady, which gives him more time to give us other dorfy goodness.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 07:31:57 am »

There was a "feature" like this in another roguelike (actually more of a *band) I played.  Can't remember specifically which one, but when traveling the overworld map one would eat and drink from their pack as-needed.  Once you ran out, travel would stop and the player would have to go screen-by-screen to either find food or a stream, and might eventually die.

So I deffinitely think this is a good little idea.  I've actually modded features like this into other games which have "hardcore needs" mods like Fallout 3 and New Vegas before.  It's almost required when you're playing an action game.  I mean it's realistic to need to eat and drink, but actually somewhat UNrealistic to have to be concerned with it at all times.

Hell, I'll bet a good number of you reading this post are eating food right now, and didn't even realize you'd gotten anything to eat yet*.  In real life, eating and drinking are so necessary, they can almost become automatic.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

===

Kohaku brings up a point.  We wouldn't want adventurers automatically munching on their raw dragon meat they were lugging around for whatever reason.  Especially if diseased (interaction-laden) meat is a possibility.  It might be best to have some kind of separate "lunch box" list, where food you wanted automatically eaten could be put.  Food that was just loose in your pack wouldn't be eaten automatically, but the waterskin full of booze and the sammiches you put in the lunch box would be.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 07:35:46 am by Jeoshua »
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 10:31:20 pm »

For a stock example, your vial of emergency-only vampire blood.
Wouldn't want to drink that until you find yourself stunned at the bottom of the ocean or surrounded by zombies.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 10:33:51 pm »

Why not? Vampirism is permanent.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2012, 09:23:57 am »

For a stock example, your vial of emergency-only vampire blood.
Wouldn't want to drink that until you find yourself stunned at the bottom of the ocean or surrounded by zombies.

So glad I'm not the only one that does this. I also keep my necromancer slab and were-elephant blood on hand.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:05:53 am »

Make it so you can select what stack to eat from first, and then default to whatever is first in the list, just for those who want to nitpick.

Allow players to mark items as snackable like you'd mark them for dumping in fort mode.

SuicideJunkie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08:17 pm »

Why not? Vampirism is permanent.
It also locks your attributes, so you want to transform as late as possible, after you've boosted your stats as much as you can.