Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 254356 times)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 5, Semifinals!
« Reply #450 on: November 09, 2012, 03:39:06 pm »

Thus ends the regular season. We had 55 games played out of 56 matches, and the one unplayed game was due to technical difficulties, rather than a lack of interest. I want to thank all of you for your efforts in playing all your games, and sticking with it for a long three months.

Signups for season 6 will begin after the playoffs end, and given that they're just three games, they should go by pretty quickly. I think the season will be a bit shorter than this marathon, but I'll see what everyone wants.

Matchups for the semifinals
ndkid - Kobb's Khorne vs ank - w00t w00t
Kanil - Self Inflicted vs monk12 - Monk's Marauders
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 09, 2012, 03:59:48 pm »

Matchups for the semifinals
ndkid - Kobb's Khorne vs ank - w00t w00t
Kanil - Self Inflicted vs monk12 - Monk's Marauders
Oh, Gods of Chaos, please grant me a squad of wizards. One solid fireballing of w00t w00t's front line, and I might actually have a shot at winning that game. :-)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 09, 2012, 09:45:15 pm »

Semifinal Match 1: Self Inflicted vs Monk's Marauders

Unlike in the regular season, the Marauders enter the match with a mere 40k in Inducements, enough for a single potion of Agility. Also unlike the regular season games, this potion actually works, and Helmut gets the stats to back up his skills. The Marauders go all out in the first half, taking the field with all their skill positions- two Catchers, two Throwers, four Blitzers and an Ogre. The Marauders win the toss, and elect to receive.

The kicker sends the ball deep- the Marauders, pumped for their first playoff appearance in team history, get a Quick Snap and flow toward the right side of the field. While Helmut scoops up the ball by the goal line, the humans rush forward. Grant Valdred opens the action with a blitz, sending his vampire to the turf while Dagg Silent leads a push of linemen to take control of the middle of the field, one lineman sending a thrall to the KO box. A pair of Thralls push Seneschal Sigric the Blitzer off the pitch (suffering no injuries but out for the drive) to even the numbers, while Park Jung-Suk the Vampire gets a craving and takes a bite out of one of the thralls.

Helmut directs the play back to the left as he runs up, and Dagg Silent happily blitzes the feeding Park Jung-Suk, taking him down and lending his beefy presence to the breach point. A pair of blitzers come back to defend the ballcarrier while Galahad Slodar the Catcher moves through the gap, threatening the end zone. A thrall chases him and wrestles him down while another thrall comes to help contain the threat, but the rest of the Vampires play cautiously, largely attempting to contain the Marauders.

Galahad regains his feet as Dagg fails to push the Vampires back, but the humans manage to get the ball across midfield safely in a cage. Odamar Alban, the more experienced Catcher who had been holding back a vampire and thrall on the weak side, got his skull fractured for his trouble- the coach waved off the incompetent apothecary when he saw the sawbones reach for his axe. Dagg and Bertolf Lutolf the Blitzer opened a narrow corridor for Helmut and his understudy Eomund Tonkai to run through, the end zone tantalizingly close.

Self Inflicted moves several thralls to blanket the humans, as well as a Vampire to threaten the ballcarrier himself. Dagg blitzes back into the fray, but the rest of the Marauder push falters and Galahad Slodar, electing not to use his wrestle ability in the hopes of taking the thrall out, instead finds himself taken out on a stretcher. Park Jung-Suk blitzes through the opening, sending Helmut to the turf and the ball into the surprised arms of Eomund. He isn't surprised for long, however, as another Vamp hypnotizes the protective Dagg while a pair of thralls team up to shove the Thrower off the pitch and into the injury box, badly hurt.

The ball is thrown back onto the pitch at the waiting feet of Ku Sung-Hoon the Vampire, and it seems an easy TD is within reach. However, Ku decides that that moment is a good time for a snack, and after picking up the ball runs back into the fray to feast on a thrall. The Marauders scramble some players to the ball, and Grant Valdred lays Ku out with a blow that should have killed him- however, the Self Inflicted apothecary is exceedingly competent, and not only does Ku survive, he is cleared to return to the game in the second half.

Grant attempts to dodge toward where the ball fell, but is fails horribly. The Vampires respond quickly, knocking down blitzers and popping the ball into an exposed area. Although the ball is his for the taking, Lee Yoo-Yeoul is overcome by bloodlust, and chooses to eat a thrall instead, sending the poor thrall to the injury box with a bad injury. Dagg rushes back into the fray while Knight Avadar tries to cover the ball, but a thrall pushes him away while the Vampires continue sending the humans toppling, Park becoming so enamored of the sight of flying blood he takes a bite out of a fellow thrall. Lee Young-Ho, a thrall with STR 4, scoops up the ball and runs downfield. The Marauder coach yells at Dagg to take him out, but does not realize that the Ogre is next to a Vampire with Diving Tackle- the vampire tangles the big guy's feet, and Lee waltzes into the endzone as the first half expires.

Halftime: Monk's Marauders 0 - 1 Self Inflicted

Kicking off to start the second half and with three good players in the injury box, the Marauders call on their reserves and hit the pitch hoping to even the score. Self Inflicted is down to 10 players- confused in the heat of the match, they fail to line up with three players on the line of scrimmage, and a ref forces the Thrower Vampire to step up. Gleefully, the Marauders kick it deep, well out of range of any Vampire.

The fans cheer for the underdog Marauders, giving them an extra TRR- the vampires, confused and angry by how the half has started, fail to feed one of the vamps, who is forced to float into the stands in search of a snack. The Marauders are energized, sending Vampires flying and swarming everywhere, a Blitzer in hot pursuit of Ku as he chases down the ball. Ku recovers the ball easily, however, and whips it forward to Shin Sang-Moon.

Unfortunately, a thrall trips on a block, giving the Marauders an opportunity to press around the ballcarrier. Several thralls go down, and Grant throws another powerhouse of a block, dropping Shin to the turf. The ball flies out of bounds, and is thrown back in well rear of the action, just outside of Grant's MA. Shin, enraged by blood-lust, leaps to his feet and drags down Grant from behind before scooping up the ball en route to a prone thrall, savaging the minion. Ku, coming up to help defend, sees the buffet and decides to help himself to the same thrall while the rest stand up.

The Marauders awkwardly try to reposition and keep the pressure on, but Dagg's lack of blocking skill results in Shin shoving him into the turf. Seeing his opportunity, he races downfield with a pair of thralls while the remaining Vampires take down the most threatening Humans. After a bit of shoving, the Marauders manage to get three humans on the inside of the ballcarrier with Helmut on the outside, but it's all for naught as Shin makes a pair of dodges and dances into the end zone.

Turn 13: Monk's Marauders 0 - 2 Self Inflicted

Knowing that it would take a minor miracle to even force overtime, the Marauders nevertheless attempt a quick TD play without a Catcher. A frustrated Dagg Silent breaks the neck of a thrall and the rest of the Marauders throw enough punches to spring Seneschal Sigric into the backfield, the Blitzer with AG 4. A thrall wrestles him down, however, and a Vampire comes over to gnosh on the prone sack of blood. Manfred the Friendly, team kicker, straight up kills another thrall while Sigric stand back up and runs into the end zone. After a Self Inflicted Turnover, Helmut runs forward, but throws an inaccurate pass that falls out the back of the end zone. In a neat bit of maneuvering, Shin ran to pick up the ball lying on the pitch, threw it across the field to another vampire who ran and handed off to a waiting thrall, who scored on the final SI play of the game.

Final Score: Monk's Marauders 0 - 3 Self Inflicted

Last thoughts of the Season: AGH! WAY too aggressive- I should have just let Galahad Wrestle the other Thrall instead of taking the hit that knocked him out for the game, and I should have checked for Diving Tackle, especially since I noted that vamp at the start of the game after it bit me in my last match with Charmander! I could have spent my moves and TRR on covering Lee with Tackle Zones, giving up hope of scoring on my possession but at least preventing that first half score. I was relying too much on Dagg, as well- if I'd been more cautious and tried to blanket the Vampires with my numbers advantage in the second half, rather than trying to knock the ball loose, I wouldn't have given him such an easy clinching score.

Blah- coulda, woulda, shoulda. It's not like Kanil didn't have things go against him as well. Awrod the Virtuous caught MVP, a Lineman who didn't throw a block or even get knocked down- this gave him enough SPP to be my new Wrestler trench-fodder, while Manfred the Friendly's kill got him some survivability in the form of Block. My career record vs Kanil is now 1-1-1; I look forward to next season!

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 10, 2012, 01:24:07 am »

I sat down and watched a replay of the game and made a write up too, 'cause what the hell, it's the playoffs. Right? It's the same game, so the same things happen and you can read about them twice! But this time it sounds less interesting and comes from my point of view.

Spoiler: Write Up (click to show/hide)

As for my thoughts about the game: Monk suffered a few key casualties early on, losing some of his more annoying players. Furthermore, his ogre failed several key rolls... I believe he failed every loner, and he failed the break tackle vs diving tackle roll, which would have likely stopped me from scoring and would have resulted in a much more tense second half.

While I had a few annoying rolls (Koosh again,) I largely managed to succeed when I really needed to. Had I rolled worse at key times, or had Monk rolled better, or had his catchers lasted longer, then the game would have been quite different.

As for my SPP farming: It was quite fruitful. Hilariously enough, my 4ST dodge thrall rolled another 12. He still doesn't have block, but he's now as strong as a troll.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 10, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

Ank was up 1-0 late in the first half when he crashed. I go on vacation as of Tuesday evening. I might be able to fit in a game Wednesday but, unless I can get finished by then, I'm quite likely to be unable to play for a week.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 10, 2012, 12:22:08 pm »

I'll do my best to get the game fitted in before then.
But if we can't, I say we wait, since it's the semi finals, and it won't kill us to wait a week.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 10, 2012, 04:03:28 pm »

Match reset. I'll leave it up to you two to decide what you do or do not wish to recreate from the initial game.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 10, 2012, 10:47:41 pm »

It's refreshing to see the game from another perspective! Those early game casualties were rough and pretty much killed that drive, but if I'd played smarter I still had a numbers advantage the rest of the game. I wish I hadn't failed my Bonehead roll on that Galahad Wrestle decision :P

You're right on MM14, I was trying to free up the Blitzer so he could catch a much shorter pass and then run in and score, rather than the long pass I had to try the next turn. I was actually pretty happy with Dagg's overall performance- it's my fault I made him roll that many dice instead of using my Blitzers more creatively to get the blocks I needed. Hopefully his next level is a doubles roll so I can get him Block and make him more reliable.

Welp, back to debating offseason roster moves. Good luck in the final, Kanil!

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 11, 2012, 09:48:48 am »

Kobb's Khorne vs. w00t w00t

ank's super catcher moves slower than usual this match. In addition, he's down a reroll. Kobb's Khorne brings some beer and a wizard. Unlike usual, Khorne elects to receive.

K1: TAB hangs back to receive the kickoff. 8 Khorne players are knocked over by a pitch invasion; none of the elves are. A warrior is the only player standing not in a tackle zone; he goes back and picks up the ball.

w1: Three elves meet up with the warrior and knock him over. The treeman knocks out one of the two standing beastmen.

K2: The warrior stands up, blitzes the wardancer, and falls back over.

w2: The wardancer runs the ball in.

K3: A high kick sails into TAB's hands. He tosses it to New Guy. The treeman gets knocked over, little else does.

w3: The standing elves pull away from danger.

K4: An elf is stunned; New Guy moves forward one square.

w4: The treeman stands up and pushes New Guy. The wardancer knocks the ball from his hands. A lineman falls over going for it, stunning himself.

K5: A lineman gets injured. The ball ends up in a beastman's hands. Several elves get stunned.

w5: A lineman falls over trying to dodge away from a tackling beastman.

K6: The thrower is knocked out. The ball carrier runs downfield with two friends.

w6: A catcher and a lineman knock over the ball carrier. A war dancer knocks herself over going for it.

K7: Soft hands ends up with the ball beside a lineman, with lots of Khorne players there to keep him safe.

w7: ank dodges the lineman around, but falls over.

K8: Soft Hands runs the ball in.

w8: With Ultra-Speedy Slowed, Khorne just goes in a fairly standard  defensive formation, with the wings a few paces off the front line. A beastman gets knocked out.

Halftime Score: Kobb's Khorne 1 - 1 w00t w00t

w9: One elf remains knocked out, so ank is at exactly 11 players. Khorne kicks the ball straight into the hands of one of the catchers on the line (making the gust of wind on the kick rather superfluous). He tosses it to a deep catcher, who runs toward his own end zone. The warrior with the foul appearance manages to scare an elf into not blocking him. A catcher penetrates the Khorne line and goes deep; a wardancer falls over trying to do so.

K9: The deep penetrating catcher gets knocked over by two beastmen. A warrior covers the downed wardancer. Two linemen are stunned.

w10: The ball carrier runs up, hands the ball to a lineman, who runs it forward and passes to the catcher who stood up and got into the end zone for the score.

K10: TAB goes back to receive the kickoff. TAB picks up the kickoff and tosses it to Soft Hands. Khorne surges over the elven line, but the minotaur falls over trying to make a blitz.

w11: The attempt to blitz Soft Hands leaves him still standing.

K11: Soft Hands runs over to the wall forming on the other side of the pitch.

w12: Several beastmen get knocked over as the elves surround Soft Hands. One even gets injured.

K12: Soft Hands dodges away and hands the ball to TAB, who runs sideways and tosses it to one of the tackling beastmen running downfield, who manages to catch it.

w13: The treeman injures another beastman. A catcher and wardancer knock the ball out of the tackler's hands. Most of the rest of the elves swarm toward the ball.

K13: Khorne does the best it can.

w14: A wardancer runs into the end zone. a catcher tries to pick up the ball and muffs it, leading to the ball bouncing around and coming to rest behind nearer the elven end zone.

K14: With some blocks, a path for TAB to pick up the ball and run it in opens up. So he does.

w15: With the odd situation facing them, Khorne lines up in a strange formation, with just the minotaur and two beastmen on the front line, and most of the team spread out in the backfield. The thrower picks up the kickoff. The treeman pushes the minotaur, but a 2-die block by a lineman comes up double skulls.

K15: The downfield catcher gets knocked out. Khorne moves for position.

w16: The treeman goes to blitz, but roots instead. Most w00t w00t players run into the Khorne Backfield, preparing for the long pass. The minotaur's tentacles keep a couple of elves at midfield for fun.

K16: TAB knocks out a wardancer, and Khorne tries to cover all the downfield players.

w17: The thrower runs forward, tosses the ball to a lineman (who got a block to clear his path and another block to to prevent an INT) who runs in the score.

K17: Khorne attempts to quench their bloodlust. TAB passes to New Guy, who gets behind the line. The treeman gets knocked out.

w18: Oh, it's four-turn half, not golden goal? New Guy gets pushed around.

K18: A block frees New Guy up, but he misses the pass. Which lands far away from Soft Hands. A wizard knocks over two elves.

w19: A catcher picks up the ball and tosses it to a lineman who runs in the score.

K19: An elf gets knocked out; TAB fails to pick up the kickoff.

w20: Not much.

K20: Not much.

Final Score: w00t w00t 4 - 2 Kobb's Khorne

Thoughts: I recovered from the horrible start to the game. But, at the end, I failed a roll I couldn't afford to fail. On the other hand, had I not made the roll at the start of the game, that speedy catcher would've made things much worse, I'm sure. Unfortunately, I don't think I did much lingering damage, so the w00t w00t juggernaut continues.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 5, Final Results
« Reply #459 on: November 11, 2012, 03:52:32 pm »

Results for Season 5

Spoiler: Results and Standings (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:59:30 pm by Kanil »

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 5, Finals!
« Reply #460 on: November 16, 2012, 04:33:47 pm »

And so:
The game for all the beer, all the moolah, and all the elf chicks!

Self Inflicted elected to kick, the clock is turned a turn forward, and Ethilian leaped, dodged and GFI'd his way to the first goal.

Vampires attack on the left but a failed roll leaves the ball on the ground.

Elves pick it up, and runs away while screaming "mine! mine!"

Non of the vampires can reach the carrier so they just fight.

A pass and a hand-off later and the elves score from their own endzone.

Vampires and thralls go down leaving Self inflicted with just 7 players.

Self inflicted revises the strategy and makes a good three turn push, with the elves unable to stop them.

W00t w00t lines up for another 1 turn TD, but the leap is shoddy and the ball lands right next to the vampires on the line.

Vampires charge and makes a 2 turn TD.

1 turn left for w00t w00t, and the score is 2-2.

The vampires fall under their own hypnotic gaze and forgets to cover the flanks.

The kick is good however, and goes as far away from ethilial as possible.

But the thrower just throws to another runner close to him, who hands it off.

Three GFI's later and w00t w00t is the victor!

Thanks for the game Kanil!
And thanks to everybody else for the season. The best season yet.
Not only because I won, but everybody has been dedicated, all matches played, and in a timely fashion too!

GG to everybody!
And good luck in the new season!(you are gonna need it!)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 6, Signup
« Reply #461 on: November 16, 2012, 04:49:48 pm »

And with that bizarre game out of the way, we can begin talking about season 6!

Rules are up for change if there's any desire to see them changed, but I imagine everyone is pretty happy. Still, if you've got something you don't like, let us know.

The season format is up for discussion, however. I'm not sure what everyone likes best, so let me know what you prefer.

For a 6 player, 10 player, or 12 player season (in the event that we gain or lose players) the format is pretty straightforward. One group, double round robin; One group, single round robin; and two groups, double round robin respectively.

However for an 8 player season (our last two) we have three options.

Two groups, double round robin: Used in season 4, it's a 6 week tournament. Short, and very unforgiving, every game is important.
Single group, single round robin: Used in season 3 (with 12 players,) it's a 7 week tournament. Slightly longer, and a bit more relaxed.
Single group, double round robin: Used in season 5, it's a 14 week tournament. It's long, but there's enough games to allow the season to develop a bit.

The shorter seasons can be extended a game by having the playoffs encompass all 8 players. This would mean the regular season is strictly for seeding and team development, however.

I'd welcome everyone's opinion on what kind of format they want, so feel free to share your thoughts when you sign up. In order to sign up, simply post here stating what team you wish to play as. You can't use a team currently taken, a list is available in the OP. Coaches in S5 have first dibs on their team for S6.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 04:58:09 pm by Kanil »

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 16, 2012, 05:53:39 pm »

dang, that was a crazy title match. Gratz ank.

Last season was my first season in any league ever, so I don't feel like I have the proper background to talk much about format change. I had plenty of fun last season, so I wouldn't be upset if we just did that again.

While playing my Human Marauders would be my first choice, I'm not averse to trying something new if a newcomer would prefer to play Humans.

So there's my very passive post :P I look forward to S6!

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 16, 2012, 09:58:03 pm »

I'll sign up again, too. I'm now used to playing Orcs, so I'll stick with them I think.

I liked the longer tournament this time, gave me time to settle in and really get to know my team.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 17, 2012, 01:35:13 am »

I've got some free time again, I think I'll join up for this season:

I'll run with Chaos Dwarves - I've missed them; haven't played with them since FUMBBL.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 149