Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Alphabetized Language RAWs  (Read 587 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alphabetized Language RAWs
« on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:29 pm »

So I've been working on some revised language raws since last night (well, this morning, thanks to a pesky Windows Update), and only just now thought to question if organizing the terms in language_words will affect the word lists in naming screens (eg naming adventurers and forts). Will just changing that one file work, or will I have to change the racial language files too, or have I been wasting my time?

Also, if I do manage to get this finished before I lose interest(if there's not a program to do it for me), would anyone be interested in them? They have the untoward group restored, and I'm going to do some cleaning up and add some new words (possibly changing a lot of them to create racial pseudo-grammars).
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:25:40 pm by Urist McDagger »
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: Alphabetized Language RAWs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 11:06:14 pm »

Yes it has several effects, one you'd have to regen a world everytime you added a new word to it, another is that words higher on the list have a somewhat higher priority than words lower on the list, but their order under symbols have even higher priority.  So the game will name things in a different way than it would before.  You can see the difference by genning worlds with the same seed and raws except for your files.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"