Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!  (Read 44919 times)

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
Re: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!
« Reply #150 on: February 26, 2012, 04:37:32 am »

*research snip*

Ah, I understand now. Thanks for the information, I appreciate it. That's certainly quite interesting. I'm surprised there isn't enough backlash at the standard mirror tests, although I get the impression that since the mirror test isn't the end-all-be-all of gauging intelligence (I've heard there's been a decent amount of research done with parrots, for example), it doesn't do much for intelligence credibility.

What? That's certainly not true for the mirror test involving elephants. Elephants don't remove what's on them, nor is the test in any way designed for them to be removed. An elephant sees it has some tape or something on itself, then rubs its trunk on its own body to feel the tape as opposed to concluding it's looking at another elephant with some tape on it. Nothing to do with taking it off.
This... isn't actually any sort of refutation. The point was that the animal must have some impetus, beyond self awareness, to respond to the dot, or tape, at all.

My apologies, that point was somewhat lost on me. It seemed like you were focusing far too much on viewing the alteration as something negative that must be removed. That was not the case in the mirror tests I've looked at.

You're complaining about one test as opposed to the numerous different types of tests, such as the television test, that have been used on dolphins. It's as if you're discrediting the entire thing because a mirror test was performed.
No, not really - just the researchers who implement their tests poorly and misrepresent the scope and impact of the results, and the reporters who take that and run away with it. I said, overall all, evidence of dolphin intelligence remains remarkably high.

I understand what you mean, now. I agree that a fair bit has simply gone towards drawing not-necessarily-supported conclusions.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:14:10 pm by Chaoswizkid »
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 26, 2012, 09:31:03 am »

well, apparently dolphins rape, murder, and bully, that's what I heard anyway.

SOUNDS LIKE HUMANS IF YOU ASK ME.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 26, 2012, 09:39:15 am »

well, apparently dolphins rape, murder, and bully, that's what I heard anyway.

SOUNDS LIKE HUMANS IF YOU ASK ME.

Maybe dolphins are humans.... or humans are dolphins?
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Stas

• Bay Watcher
  • Procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 26, 2012, 12:27:15 pm »

The tree-shaggers are at it again.  ::)

The moment they form an organized civilization, I'll recognize them as sentient.
As for recognizing them as equals? Hell no. Humanity is the master-race in my opinion, and I would be offended if someone compared me to a fish.

Humanity strong! Down with the fin-backs!

No I'm not psychic. I just know that this is dwarf fortress. and the most stupidly awesome and inexplicable thing is probably going to be the first thing to happen.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 26, 2012, 03:25:47 pm »

The moment they form an organized civilization, I'll recognize them as sentient.
As for recognizing them as equals? Hell no. Humanity is the master-race in my opinion, and I would be offended if someone compared me to a fish.

Quote from: Stas
I would be offended if someone compared me to a fish.
compared me to a fish
fish

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 26, 2012, 03:30:47 pm »

Yeah, I just about had a Biology Aneurism when I read that.

I will have you know I have never shagged, hugged, or been either romantically or platonically involved with a tree. I'm a soon-to-be scientist. Humans are awesome. Dolphins (or apes) are not Humans. However, that doesn't mean that I feel we should disregard them or their well-being when we have clear, concrete evidence of their intellect, their emotionality, their personality, and the sono-pictoral language they invented for themselves, which we have begun to be able to use to communicate with them.

To do that would be asinine.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 26, 2012, 03:34:05 pm »

As completely ridiculous as the first page of this thread is (concerning dolphins being as intelligent as/more intelligent than humans, whatever that's even supposed to mean), you're showcasing an astounding amount of tactlessness and ignorance here. That's a very bad combination.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 26, 2012, 03:47:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure Stas is being sarcastic. It looks like sarcasm to me at least.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 26, 2012, 06:11:11 pm »

Besides, I'd bet the dolphins would be equally if not more offended at the idea of being compared to lizards like us.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 26, 2012, 06:12:34 pm »

Besides, I'd bet the dolphins would be equally if not more offended at the idea of being compared to lizards like us.
Quiet so!

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2012, 08:09:23 pm »

As completely ridiculous as the first page of this thread is (concerning dolphins being as intelligent as/more intelligent than humans, whatever that's even supposed to mean), you're showcasing an astounding amount of tactlessness and ignorance here. That's a very bad combination.

Yeah, I don't think the same racist/ignorant bigot characterisation you might apply, doesn't really apply here, when talking about dolphins having equal status as human beings.

Dude is stating a parody as well as a rational outlook, it doesn't indicate ignorance.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #161 on: February 27, 2012, 03:59:26 am »

Yeah, I just about had a Biology Aneurism when I read that.

I will have you know I have never shagged, hugged, or been either romantically or platonically involved with a tree. I'm a soon-to-be scientist. Humans are awesome. Dolphins (or apes) are not Humans. However, that doesn't mean that I feel we should disregard them or their well-being when we have clear, concrete evidence of their intellect, their emotionality, their personality, and the sono-pictoral language they invented for themselves, which we have begun to be able to use to communicate with them.

To do that would be asinine.

Above is my stance on this.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2012, 05:02:11 am »

Yes! Finally!

I have waited for this moment! Dolphins and Whales absolutely possesses sentience!
Also, dogs should be considered a person. Anything capable of socially bonding with a person should!

This is a happy day in my life.

:-D
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:54 am »

We should grant them the status of "rival". We must attempt to outdo them in every way. Only logical solution.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2012, 08:09:04 am »

We should grant them the status of "rival". We must attempt to outdo them in every way. Only logical solution.
That sounds like we should destroy them before they destroy us. O.o

But yeah,  I love to know more about what kind of things dolphins discuss.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 15