Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!  (Read 45408 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2012, 01:53:17 pm »

I don't think they'd be able to form a civilization, even if they are sapient.  No graspers means they can't use tools or modify their environment, and living in the open ocean raises some doubts about what kind of structures they'd build anyway.

I suppose it's possible, but I think octopuses would be a safer bet for underwater society.
Shoes...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2012, 01:56:17 pm »

I say we give a dolphin some sort of underwater stove and see if it cooks food.

No thumbs :/
Big buttons it could push with it's nose?
Underwater :/
Super-heating non-conductive heat element? Basically boil whatever was put over it?

Alright, I got nothing.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2012, 01:59:28 pm »

Right. But. They certainly do not have a ton of rights. Like my dog is not even allowed to go outside without being on a leash and he is required for all times in his life to wear a collar. How fucked up would that be when applied to a human (Or "person")?

He also clearly has Stockholm syndrome.

Actually a human with the intelligence of a dog would very likely not be allowed outside on their own and would be considered the absolute responsibility of the person who takes care of them.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2012, 02:00:18 pm »

Dogs are pretty intelligent in some aspects. My brother's dog is a manipulative bitch.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 03, 2012, 02:39:29 pm »

That is true, I understand that is how they act normally, but still. It actually really creepy sometimes, the submission and lack of... I'm not sure of the word, ambition? Freewill? Something like a cross between the two... At any rate it is a little creepy even in dogs, in something considered people it would be even more creepy.

Well, I'm never going to the Netherlands now.

Seriously.

Is this a thing? Anywhere? Is your brother some crazed scientist?
Hehe, totally forgot I posted this here.

My brother tests some stuff regarding 3d vision and he uses Macaques as test subjects. Initially they would 'only' get some sort of plastic rod on their head which would be used to fasten it to the scanner (MRI?) but later it turned out that his monkeys would get the normal procedure, and thus the skull/skin on top of their head was removed and replaced with a plastic cover.

He says that tests like this are getting rarer lately, mainly because of the high cute-factor monkeys have. He can regularly not come to his work because a few animal right weirdos.

He hasn't actually tested anything yet though, as the macaques need years of training before they can lie still for hours in an MRI. The macaques have it pretty good compared to the rabbits though. They are basically big living cancer bunnies.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 03, 2012, 02:54:50 pm »

Dogs are pretty intelligent in some aspects. My brother's dog is a manipulative bitch.
I swear that my first dog could manipulate the Force. She could stare into someone's eyes until it blanked their mind. Using this to get me and my family members to involuntarily drop food was something that happened more than once.

And every dog I've ever had eventually discovered how to manipulate door knobs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 03, 2012, 02:59:58 pm »

I swear that my first dog could manipulate the Force. She could stare into someone's eyes until it blanked their mind. Using this to get me and my family members to involuntarily drop food was something that happened more than once.

And every dog I've ever had eventually discovered how to manipulate door knobs.
My dog can barely figure out how to use the couch.

Lucky.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 03, 2012, 03:02:49 pm »

Right. But. They certainly do not have a ton of rights. Like my dog is not even allowed to go outside without being on a leash and he is required for all times in his life to wear a collar. How fucked up would that be when applied to a human (Or "person")?

Actually a human with the intelligence of a dog would very likely not be allowed outside on their own and would be considered the absolute responsibility of the person who takes care of them.

That's a good point. What is humanity anyway? If we can take the rights of these people away.

But if we still consider them people, then how can intelligence be used as a metric for "personhood"?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 03:05:18 pm by Criptfeind »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 03, 2012, 03:03:03 pm »

I have a cat.
I'm not quite sure if it sees humans as intelligent species.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 03, 2012, 05:35:19 pm »

That's a good point. What is humanity anyway? If we can take the rights of these people away.

But if we still consider them people, then how can intelligence be used as a metric for "personhood"?

Those rights are being taken away for their protection.  I don't think anyone's ever been that bad, but they wouldn't be able to function as a normal citizen with full rights.  They'd probably have to stay at some kind of institution.

Shoes...

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 05, 2012, 12:32:14 am »

I have a cat.
I'm not quite sure if it sees humans as intelligent species.

Of course not, at best we're mobile furniture that dispenses food. At worst, scratching post.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 05, 2012, 12:38:23 am »

That's a good point. What is humanity anyway?
A misserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 05, 2012, 12:58:42 am »

That's a good point. What is humanity anyway?
A misserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!

Great, no one can postulate on that subject ever again. Thanks a lot Castlevania.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 05, 2012, 01:49:48 am »

This is waaay late, but that humans = fire-type is actually really accurate. We dp seem able to wreck forests and other grassy stuff.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #209 on: March 05, 2012, 03:12:13 pm »

This is waaay late, but that humans = fire-type is actually really accurate. We dp seem able to wreck forests and other grassy stuff.
But some forests require fires to continue existing.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15