Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!  (Read 45644 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!
« Reply #90 on: February 23, 2012, 10:31:13 am »

Alright. Really now. Can we please go back to talking about brain fish? Not the status of humans as humans (and trolling)?

I feel that even if they are intelligent, they are still not human. We should deal with them with respect, but not more so than we should for any other critter.

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
« Reply #91 on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:40 am »

I agree they should be treated respectfully, just dont think about calling them anything but dolphin, sorry if my beliefs sound like trolling, but I say dolphins being people, even with the loosest defineition sounds like trolling to me.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 23, 2012, 10:52:32 am »

So, can I have links to the works done on dolphin language and how they have names and all ? How was this discovered ? Have we tried to communicate with them already ? If so, what have we managed to say to each other ? Do they talk about abstract stuff ? Or are they very limited in the information they exchange ?

Somebody mentioned it earlier and said he could dig up the sources if asked, so I ask.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2012, 11:03:43 am »

I wouldn't mind seeing some sources on their communication skills.

I also think that they should be treated with respect, but until we figure out how to communicate directly with them we shouldn't be granting full equal rights. Releasing them from captivity would be a good first step though.

Yes, they are rapists and child killers, but it's built into their society. There have been some societies in the past that kill their own ritualistically, it's entirely possible that they're doing it for reasons that we simply don't understand. I'm not saying that it's morally right, but we shouldn't judge them until we know what's going on.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2012, 02:31:06 pm »

I'm all for cetacean rights, personally.
Though strictly speaking, cephalopods have a higher rate of cognitive development. They're just hamstrung by their short lifespans.

Also, the mirror thing got me to wondering---does this mean humans weren't self-aware until we invented mirrors?  ???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2012, 02:37:02 pm »

Nah, reflection doesn't necessitate mirrors. We might not have been self-aware until we found water, though  :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2012, 03:09:36 pm »

Why do we need to regard animals as "people" when people are animals?.... I just confused myself.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2012, 03:18:00 pm »

People are animals lulz.

No.

First off, because we are people. I don't actually think a dolphin would care about me. The question I guess is should it? Obviously if we grant them rights they would have to grant us the same.

Secondly, we may be animals but we are clearly better brain wise.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2012, 03:22:48 pm »

Eh, dolphins are murderous assholes (see: beating baby porpoises to death sheerly for the lulz)

That said, I'll be willing to concede the issue... as soon as a marine mammal *asks*.  I've been following the communications projects, and looking at the research papers there's a hell of a lot of wishful thinking there.

The evidence isn't nearly good enough for the conclusion.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:26:06 pm by Qmarx »

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 23, 2012, 04:41:54 pm »

People are animals lulz.

No.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. People aren't animals?
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 23, 2012, 04:46:06 pm »

Yeah, that's an odd distinction to make. We're certainly not plants or minerals. We're a mostly clever set of highly adaptable apes with far less body hair.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 23, 2012, 04:54:26 pm »

I sincerely hope that isn't related to the "Humans aren't animals because god says we're special!" thing. We are animals, and for the purposes of this discussion, "people" can probably be used as a blanket term for any intelligent, self-aware individual. So in other words, all people are animals, but not all animals are people. And possibly at some point in the future we might encounter plants who are people.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 05:43:41 pm »

That's like using presence of eyeglasses to gauge somebody's education level.

*points back to the large amount of animals that fail the test*

It's a decent start.

Alright. Really now. Can we please go back to talking about brain fish? Not the status of humans as humans (and trolling)?

I feel that even if they are intelligent, they are still not human.

No one is saying they are human. The thread title is even "Non-Human Persons". There's also similar misconceptions that saying "Persons" or "People" = humans. The term 'People' shouldn't really even be used; 'Persons' is the closest because 'individual' can apply too broadly to have enough of a connotation for what is meant.

So, can I have links to the works done on dolphin language and how they have names and all ? How was this discovered ? Have we tried to communicate with them already ? If so, what have we managed to say to each other ? Do they talk about abstract stuff ? Or are they very limited in the information they exchange ?

Somebody mentioned it earlier and said he could dig up the sources if asked, so I ask.

Ready for some research spam?

Some of this has to be taken with a grain of salt. Some of this was done by not-necessarily-scientists, some of it has been supported by scientists, some of it was conducted by actual scientists, etc. It's a mixed bag of information, some of it only tangentially related to what you were asking. I've actually not seen this research in its article form before, I was referencing a documentary I had watched and some references to such things in other research that I've read before. It's also not the only research on the topic, but it's what I could dig up for the time being. Also take note that not all of this research has been done in the last decade; there have surely been advances since.

http://wakeup-world.com//2011/11/28/the-discovery-of-dolphin-language/
http://www.marinemammal.org/pdfs/Deecke98.pdf
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/289/5483/1355.full.pdf?sid=fa580097-4f24-46cd-be10-e5df8f0ed1c6
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1439-0310.2010.01828.x/full

Interesting stuff: http://www.globalanimal.org/2011/09/30/tail-walking-wild-dolphins-learn-to-river-dance/23568/

Documentary aired by PBS. Can't say what's inside, I haven't watched it, but it might contain some useful information. From what I gathered, it focuses on conservationists, so again with the grains of salt. http://video.pbs.org/video/1099394282/
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 23, 2012, 07:36:01 pm »

I don't really care whether or not they are seen as people, this planet is simply one giant clusterfuck of life, divided into different organic structures perhaps, but it's all a part of the same massive clusterfuck.
I instead judge others by their actions and intentions, as those two things are always present, regardless of what species they belong to, or their level of intelligence. It's why I'm a supporter of cannibalism, and why the "Hurr durr humanz are better than everything else becuz we are" attitude I see so often can shift my mood from placid to pissed off in an incredibly short amount of time.

Also, in regards to dolphins being immoral and whatnot, let's make one thing clear:

All of nature, you, me, the plants, animals, bugs, microscopic organisms, everything, is an asshole. To varying degrees, of course. But assholes nonetheless. No creature survives on this planet without being an asshole to some extent, so pointing the finger at dolphins as a whole for doing immoral things, that humanity itself has practiced(and continues to practice) for almost its entire history, without even completely understanding the dolphins' reasoning first, only makes you an even bigger asshole then you previously were.
The important thing to remember is that, as contradictory as it sounds, just because everyone has to be an asshole sometimes, doesn't mean they can't also be generally good individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2012, 08:14:43 pm »

I don't really care whether or not they are seen as people, this planet is simply one giant clusterfuck of life, divided into different organic structures perhaps, but it's all a part of the same massive clusterfuck.

Still matters though ^-^

All across Dolfinland, bright blue mammals are fleeing economic turmoil...
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15