Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!  (Read 45327 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Dolphins as Non-Human Persons; or Viva la Cetalucean!
« Reply #120 on: February 24, 2012, 08:45:55 am »

Somewhere right now, somebody is hard at work translating the Bible into Dolphinspeak. Little do we know that the Dolphins already have Dolphin Jesus.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2012, 09:39:31 am »

Somewhere right now, somebody is hard at work translating the Bible into Dolphinspeak. Little do we know that the Dolphins already have Dolphin Jesus.

You got it wrong!
Bible?
We need to teach them to play Dwarf Fortress!
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2012, 10:05:58 am »

That's like using presence of eyeglasses to gauge somebody's education level.

*points back to the large amount of animals that fail the test*
So what? It's still a meaningless metric. Heck, a more logical measure would be complexity of social organization, in which case ants blow dolphins straight out of the water.

But yeah, if you want a real comparison, I'd like to see how your average dolphin (with sufficient training, of course) would fare against your average human in a game of chess.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2012, 10:08:49 am »

You got it wrong!
Bible?
We need to teach them to play Dwarf Fortress!

DF would need more rape if you want dolphins to play it.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #124 on: February 24, 2012, 11:37:44 am »

That's like using presence of eyeglasses to gauge somebody's education level.

*points back to the large amount of animals that fail the test*
So what? It's still a meaningless metric. Heck, a more logical measure would be complexity of social organization, in which case ants blow dolphins straight out of the water.

It isn't meaningless. If there is a group of animals that looks at a mirror and does not recognize that what it is seeing is an exact copy of itself, even after it repeatedly tries to interact with the reflection, then it can be said they are not entirely self-aware. If you want better examples of self-awareness tests performed with dolphins, I'll reshare this: http://colinallen.dnsalias.org/Secure/TCA/herman-final.pdf
Look towards the middle of page 9.

As for social organization, I don't see your point at all. Ants respond instinctively, especially to pheromones. Their social ties lie in "The hive must survive." Cetaceans form complicated groups and alliances that do not necessarily involve hunting or some other measure of survival. I'd have to say they trump ants every time, unless you know of some research on ants that show they can socialize beyond survival.

But yeah, if you want a real comparison, I'd like to see how your average dolphin (with sufficient training, of course) would fare against your average human in a game of chess.

Personally, I have confidence that dolphins would be able to play the game competently once they understand the rules and there is some capability in place for them to be able to play. That doesn't really mean anything, of course, but I agree; that would probably be a better comparison for intelligence.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 24, 2012, 11:47:04 am »

If an animal can do something that humans can but many other animals can't, it doesn't imply at all that it's as intelligent as humans. Self-awareness is but a tiny fraction of what makes a human mind.

Complexity of social organization means the degree of specialization of individual members within society. Specialization is what got us from caves to skyscrapers. And it's virtually non-existent in dolphins.

As for chess, those articles of yours seem to be suggesting that dolphins are *more* intelligent than humans, in which case your average dolphin shouldn't just hold his own against your average human, he should pwn Kasparov. I somehow doubt that would happen, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 24, 2012, 02:06:52 pm »

Meanwhile the Dolphin Council says, "The land-things are capable of some ability to swim and to ride the giant metal fish. But they remain unable to play Krrkrrchrkkch and show no signs of being able to spot a fish on their own. They *might* be clever, but we're not sure about true intelligence yet."

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 24, 2012, 02:19:56 pm »

The mirror test is miserable. A large portion of HUMANITY fails the mirror test, uncoached - turns out it's cultural!

It is one of those tests where a positive result means something (but not much) and a negative result means nothing, and yet people pretend that a negative result has some meaning.

It rests on several assumptions that have nothing to do with intelligence:
a) That an animal can recognize itself in a mirror. (This is the only part related to intelligence)
b) The animal cares about a dot on its head.
c) The animal wants to remove the dot.
d) The animal thinks it should remove the dot.
e) The animal thinks its okay to remove the dot.
f) A host of other unfounded assumptions having nothing to do with intelligence

A much better use of the mirror test is the COACHED mirror test - can an animal be trained to recognize itself in the mirror and point out a dot somewhere on its body, that it can't otherwise see? This is the only way to consistently get humans to pass the mirror test, after all. And, unsurprisingly enough, a great number of animals pass the test once they realize what it is we want them to do.

I'm sorry, the "mirror test", as stands, is about as meaningful as the rat-based "heroin test" that proved people would destroy their lives due to heroin given the chance. Or the LSD tests where they stuck someone in a bare room in a hostile environment and determined the large number of negative responses meant all responses always were negative. Or the numerous studies that assumed that every person in the world is exactly like a USA psychology undergrad.

It's bullshit, and people using bullshit extrapolations from crappy tests and studies infuriates me.

All that said:
Dolphin's seem to be pretty smart. It's a shame there's no concerted effort to really find out how smart or in what way, that isn't plagued by morons pretending to know what they are doing. It's like the founding of psychology all over again up in here...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 02:23:53 pm by GlyphGryph »

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:20 pm »

It's bullshit, and people using bullshit extrapolations from crappy tests and studies infuriates me.

Agree so much.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 24, 2012, 06:22:13 pm »

As for chess, those articles of yours seem to be suggesting that dolphins are *more* intelligent than humans, in which case your average dolphin shouldn't just hold his own against your average human, he should pwn Kasparov. I somehow doubt that would happen, but feel free to prove me wrong.

Deep Blue was a dolphin brain in a jar.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2012, 01:04:43 am »

Not just outnumber us, out-biomass us.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 25, 2012, 01:25:29 am »

Ah, I wonder, if you take the average processing power of the human mind times the number of humans on earth, vs the average processing power of another creature times its population, who comes out on top?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 25, 2012, 01:27:26 am »

Ah, I wonder, if you take the average processing power of the human mind times the number of humans on earth, vs the average processing power of another creature times its population, who comes out on top?

Probably some bacteria.  :)
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 25, 2012, 01:29:01 am »

Probably some bacteria.  :)
I don't think bacteria have any processing power to speak of. Gazillions of bacteria x 0 power each = 0.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 25, 2012, 01:30:54 am »

How do they hunt food if their actions are directed by sporadic chemical impulses, as opposed to a more elegant function?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15