Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Want-Sand  (Read 3004 times)

javierpwn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Want-Sand
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 12:43:41 pm »

I've had sand appear from my constructions when I deconstruct bridges sometimes, probably because sand on surface reverting back into sand...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 05:34:51 pm »

I have, in fact, been able to find sand available in the caverns: "build" a dirt road or something. It seemed to me that the soil on the floor of the caverns, beneath vegetation like moss and trees, was always sand, but it could be that it was mimicking sandy soil layers above and I just wasn't paying attention.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 10:43:14 pm »

i've never had a hard time finding sand... i guess i'm just lucky or something =S

you've designated large areas to check how many sand-gathering squares are available in them and everything?

ElenaRoan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 01:16:31 am »

I always use dfhack prospect all to check that I have sand available before I embark as I absolutely hate sandless embarks.
Someone, get the bug zapper! What do you mean that won't work on a bug the size of a house which glows? No, I don't want to hear it. Just get the damn zapper.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 01:25:03 am »

yeah, shame sometimes sand in pre-embark ends up being sandy clay once you're there...
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 03:19:32 am »

From the wiki page on sand:

"When an underground tree grows on a muddy stone floor tile (after discovering a cavern) and is either trampled or cut down, the floor tile turns into a soil type appropriate to the biome - for biomes which lack soil layers altogether (such as mountains and glaciers), a random soil type will be selected, which might sometimes be sand.Verify"
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 03:37:20 am »

I can personally verify mushroom trees producing soil from mud. Even on a constructed floor.

In my case it was loamy clay, and not sand though. Did so on top of a greenglass floored growing chamber.
Pages: 1 2 [3]