Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "You can now appoint a Sheriff" (Notification when new noble available)  (Read 1661 times)

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile

DF used to introduce (read: force on you) its nobles little by little as your population grew, which gave a nice sense of progression and introduced you to features progressively if you were a newb. I know people like their game boring to have control over their game, so can we at least have a notification like the one I put in the title, for each new noble (sheriff, dungeon master) or noble upgrade (sheriff -> captain of the guard, expedition leader -> mayor) that becomes available? It would be useful info, and would make players new to the game aware that they're unlocking new stuff.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 05:35:57 am by isitanos »

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
Re: "You can now appoint a Sheriff" (Notification when new noble available)
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:24 pm »

As DF is a sim I think that a message like this "You must appoint a sheriff!" or "Your citizens are out of control! Appoint a sheriff!" would be more appropriate.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 01:44:00 pm »

As DF is a sim I think that a message like this "You must appoint a sheriff!" or "Your citizens are out of control! Appoint a sheriff!" would be more appropriate.
When it comes to nobles I appoint myself, I'd rather not be nagged about such things, especially since not having a sheriff doesn't create any problems to speak of.

What I would like, however, is an announcement when a mayor is elected, so I can sort out room allocations immediately instead of only when I happen to check the noble screen.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »

When it comes to nobles I appoint myself, I'd rather not be nagged about such things, especially since not having a sheriff doesn't create any problems to speak of.
A single notification for a one-time event is hardly "nagging", and is better than having to regularly check if some noble is available, when you actually want to appoint a specific one. And if you don't like a notification, you can easily turn it off or change how it appears in the announcements.txt.
What I would like, however, is an announcement when a mayor is elected, so I can sort out room allocations immediately instead of only when I happen to check the noble screen.
That's actually more nagging, but good idea nevertheless (since it can be turned off with the current framework). Even though I think a better solution to the same problem is Assigning Rooms to Noble Positions.