Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Manila Dwarf Fortress Launcher  (Read 49031 times)

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manila Dwarf Fortress Launcher
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2013, 10:30:08 am »

- shocking revelations -

Haha, thanks!  Oh man I had wondered about that size for ages now.  Yep, if I take out that stupid .tar file it'll be back to where it should be.  Oh man oh man.  *epic facepalm*

Regarding the other stuff, I totally see where you're coming from, but out of deference to those who need a helping hand I think some popular mods and fonts and tilesets are useful and they are far less heavy on the zip file weight than my stupidity   ;D   I think that sample image was .bmp because DF exports pics as .bmp so I went with that...?  Went with Droid fonts because of the simple license, I got tired of browsing font sites checking licenses, if you know any smaller ones that would be suitable and legal, please let me know!

Well, if I have to repack it, will try to update sooner.  *le-sigh*

Question Re: 3rd party utilities like DFHack or Soundsense... are they finicky about which folder DF is in?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2013, 06:42:08 pm »

There's another something extra I forgot to mention:

Some of your text files have duplicates which, I assume, your system creates automatically when editing. Specifically, "init.txt~" is a copy of init.txt and there's a "readme.txt~" which is a duplicate of readme.txt.

Question Re: 3rd party utilities like DFHack or Soundsense... are they finicky about which folder DF is in?
The installation instructions for DFHack say, "Extract the contents into your DF folder." And I've only ever seen it work that way. I would not recommend you include DFHack, anyway, as it's a very large package.

However, Soundsense is flexible about location. There's a "configuration.xml" which can be used to point to your DF directory (referred to as "gamelog path"). But even if it's not configured right a window will pop up asking for the directory with "gamelog.txt" (root DF folder). Honestly, it's so easy to install there's no need to include it in a package. ( That is, unless it's for Lazy Newbs. :D ) The only "catch" is that you must have Java 1.6 or later installed correctly.

Went with Droid fonts because of the simple license, I got tired of browsing font sites checking licenses, if you know any smaller ones that would be suitable and legal, please let me know!

I know what you mean about font sites and figuring out usage and legal issues. And I'd love to help you out on this. However, I would have to know a few things first:

1) What license do the Droid fonts use? Also, shouldn't said license txt/document be included in the font folder?
2) What kind of license is Manila released under? Freeware? GPL?
3) What kind of fonts are you looking for? Is readability the most important factor? Or are you looking for something "dwarfy" or a slight gothic / midevil touch?
4) Have you considered giving Manila users the ability to select from whatever fonts the user has installed on their machine? This method could eliminate license issues as it would not be necessary to include fonts in the package.

...I totally see where you're coming from, but out of deference to those who need a helping hand I think some popular mods and fonts and tilesets are useful and they are far less heavy on the zip file weight than my stupidity   ;D

You do have a point. And this is your utility. Though, I would point out that maintaining a "full" version which includes fonts, tilesets, and popular mods would not preclude you from also releasing a "lite" version. In fact, when I created such for personal backup purposes it did not take me very long to strip stuff out. And it would be a simple matter to upload a separate file to DFFD.

I will concede that including the tilesets is not a big deal since, as you say, they aren't large. But then, a large portion of DF users (maybe even a majority?) use some sort of graphic replacement instead.

Notice: I would point out that, apparently, several of the mods you have included in your v1.10 download are different from what you advertise in your OP. Specifically, it has these mods (which were not mentioned anywhere in your OP):

* Fortress Defense Mod II Basic v11 no GFX
* Kobold Camp 1.51
* Flora and Fauna 34i

Speaking of which, I think if you left out "full conversion" mods like Fortress Defense, Rise of the False Gods, and Kobold Camp (at least for a "lite" version), that alone would save considerable space. And from what I can tell, most players do not bother with Adventure Mode much and stick with Fortress Mode, hence Wanderer's Friend seems useful to a somewhat narrow user base.

On the other hand, some of the mods would have wide appeal. I can't see how anyone would object to the Broken Arrow archery rebalance. (Though, for some reason, I can -not- find this in your mods folder! :o ) Similarly, Seasonal Crops is appealing as it makes agriculture more realistic.

Flora and Fauna adds a bunch of cool stuff and I might recommend it. However, some of us are stuck on laptops or old hardware and may want to keep some stuff minimal to keep performance high and avoid premature FPS death. Still, I shouldn't complain much, especially since your mod system has a method to add/remove to a game.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2013, 10:39:32 pm »

Thanks for the info, Thundercraft.  I'll take all of that into consideration when putting the next version together.    :D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

Rayston

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2013, 01:31:26 am »

On Ubuntu 64 and getting the below error when I try to run the Java file.

Main().log could not be initialized VL now closing

any ideas?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2013, 01:36:02 am »

Try running the .sh script instead?  Running the Java file directly can cause issues with working directory thingymajigs.  If the .sh file doesn't work, please run from console and let me know your command and the error text.

edit - scratch that, is it running on a write-protected device/folder?  Is there enough space on the device?  The log file could not be opened so those seem the most likely causes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:41:06 am by hermes »

SirMcBacon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2013, 11:50:09 pm »

I was having a bit of trouble rendering the GUI on my Arch installation. The GUI would appear, but only the frame, without any content. I did some digging, and found a solution. Java runs into some rendering problems in *nix when confronted with a non-reparenting window manager. Like Awesome. My window manager. To solve this, I installed wmname from the Arch repository (get it from suckless.org on other distros). After installation it was as simple as typing wmname LG3D into a terminal, and tada! No more rendering issues.

dementia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2013, 06:31:14 pm »

I use Arch Linux and I get an error stating "Not Found: /data/art/tileset.png". I have added the phoebus tileset to the tilesets folder. It seems to have something to do with my instance of libpng. I will see if I can sort it out then update.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:38:04 pm by dementia »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2013, 04:46:27 am »

I was having a bit of trouble rendering the GUI on my Arch installation. ...

Glad, you could work that out!  All Linux testing I did was on Debian and Ubuntu over a year ago, and I don't have Linux on current machine.

I use Arch Linux and I get an error stating "Not Found: /data/art/tileset.png". I have added the phoebus tileset to the tilesets folder. It seems to have something to do with my instance of libpng. I will see if I can sort it out then update.

OK, a couple of things....  Graphical sets (e.g. Phoebus or Ironhand) are not supported by the launcher and will likely cause problems.  So that might be the issue.  This is only designed to work with tilesets, single BMP or PNG files of cp234 characters.  Like the ones already in the tileset folder.

However, the SDL display in DF requires a bunch of libraries that are listed in the Linux readme file.  That sounds like the issue here, get those first from console or synaptic and see if it works.

dementia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2013, 12:50:13 am »

I did have issues with the libraries, but I sorted those out and made sure that I was capable of running the vanilla DF by itself before posting anything(which I still am), so that can be crossed off. Essentially, the way I installed the phoebus tileset is as follows:
*unzip
*copy one of the 16x16 versions into the manila tileset folder
*copy the dejavu font into the font folder
*edit the world colors file and append the phoebus scheme to the bottom
*select the settings so that they select the added files.

I also get the error when I attempt to use any of the other tilesets as well. My libpng issue was fixed when I ran a full system update, so that is likely not the issue here as well. I can try deleting everything and starting with a fresh unzip to see if the issue persists when I have not changed anything.

Update: Even with a freshly unzipped Manila Launcher I still get the issue. I will try launching df from within the unzipped modified version's folder to see if I can use that as a workaround.

Update V2: When I navigated into the modified Manila Launcher' df file and ran df i got an error stating "libpng error: bad parameters to zlib". The same can be said for the unmodified version. This causes me to question the changes as the root cause of my problem.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:21:10 am by dementia »

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2013, 10:08:07 am »

Update: Even with a freshly unzipped Manila Launcher I still get the issue. I will try launching df from within the unzipped modified version's folder to see if I can use that as a workaround.

Update V2: When I navigated into the modified Manila Launcher' df file and ran df i got an error stating "libpng error: bad parameters to zlib". The same can be said for the unmodified version. This causes me to question the changes as the root cause of my problem.

If DF works from another folder that sounds like a broken DF installation...?  Backup saves, delete the DF folder and copy a new DF folder in there, or just try the Backup/Delete Install/Install DF/Restore buttons in the launcher.

SirMcBacon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2013, 02:54:03 pm »

-snip-

I'll be sure to post anything else I find on here then. This is a great utility, by the way.

-EDIT-

It would be rather nice to be able to rename installation folders, and handle multiple installations of the same type through the GUI. Maybe an option for a new install in the drop down menu? It would make managing different full conversion mods quite a bit easier.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 02:32:44 am by SirMcBacon »

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2014, 04:27:22 pm »

Is there a way to bind dfhack to this? I've tried doing this by hand (renaming the patched executable and such) but the game would crash whenever I'd load something.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2014, 07:40:04 pm »

Is there a way to bind dfhack to this? I've tried doing this by hand (renaming the patched executable and such) but the game would crash whenever I'd load something.

Months ago I played around with a new tab to have easy access to launching support programs before or at runtime.  Looking back at Thundercraft's posts I'm reminded of lots of things I should do to improve this.  I just enabled that launcher tab again in ma spaghetti code and I'll see if I can get DFHack working automatically at launch.

edit - Hmm, I don't know if this has always been the case but DFHack installs seamlessly over DF so I just tested it with the launcher and it worked fine.  Generating a world, saving, loading, using commands, all worked..???  I didn't need to rename anything, maybe try again and don't change anything?

It would be rather nice to be able to rename installation folders, and handle multiple installations of the same type through the GUI. Maybe an option for a new install in the drop down menu? It would make managing different full conversion mods quite a bit easier.

Yes, this is a good point.  Have a month before new DF so will see what I can do in spare time.   :)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 08:03:23 pm by hermes »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2014, 12:47:42 pm »

Does that mean you're working on this again? I loved this thing!
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2014, 03:41:24 pm »

I'm thinking I'll tidy it up along the lines Thundercraft suggested, delete the region tab cos it's pretty broken and not so useful (?) and add a launcher tab for other progs like soundsense... Then make sure it works with the new release.  Glad you like it, thanks!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5