Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Manila Dwarf Fortress Launcher  (Read 49029 times)

CarcassLizard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Vanilla Dwarf Fortress Launcher
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 12:19:47 am »

Download for win 7, works great! My only suggestion would be allowing the user to add/store custom color files in the same manner as tile sets. Along with the launcher checking for its own updates, that's really all I can think of.

Skasi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2012, 11:48:06 am »

I've read this thing remembers settings and stuff. That's the only reason why I really want to have this. Still one question: Does it work with possible new versions of the various setting files? Like, when init.txt gets additional content, will this tool break everything?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2012, 05:11:25 pm »

Good question.  If any of the init or raw files change that shouldn't be a problem because the launcher is looking for and only changes specific tags.  Toady recently introduced the SET_LABOR_LISTS tag which didn't cause a problem, and the launcher actually adds a couple of tags of its own to init.txt to track some changes.

What will "break" it, currently, is if the file structure of the DF folder changes in some way or if the way the version numbers are presented changes format in some way.  That stuff is rather hard-coded at the moment, before version 1 (say a month or two from now) I want to pull some settings out into a text file (which I had wanted to avoid, but is now necessary for tracking update frequency) and make version number checking a bit more smart/robust.  That way if something does change, like the Bay12 website structure, then people can change it easily.  But the DF folder and text file format hasn't changed for months so I hope it shan't for the immediate future.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Bifidus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 12:10:46 am »

I see 1.10 in the changelog, but i only see 1.00 avaible to download.
Is this a typo, or something ?

Also, can you add other things to auto update, like Dwarf Therapist (or is maybe more up to date clone)?

Thx !

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 03:13:02 am »

I see 1.10 in the changelog, but i only see 1.00 avaible to download.
Is this a typo, or something ?

It's the next version, am working on it now.  Might be a while yet though, need to test with my succession fort.  Not sure how useful it will be.

Also, can you add other things to auto update, like Dwarf Therapist (or is maybe more up to date clone)?

Thx !

I have kind of decided to steer clear of graphics packs and utils, but thanks for the feedback.  Those utils are made by much better programmers than myself, if they dont have autoupdating already they might be willing to implement it if you ask them  :)

We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer

Urist MacFrench

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2012, 02:48:43 am »

Can we have more options for the ini file ? Like VARIED_GROUND_TILES, ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED ?

RanDomino

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2012, 12:42:00 pm »

PTF
Instead of clicking "reply" you can just click "notify" which is literally adjacent

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 09:04:08 pm »

Can we have more options for the ini file ? Like VARIED_GROUND_TILES, ENGRAVINGS_START_OBSCURED ?

Sounds reasonable.  And also a good chance to abandon the succession fortress manager because it wasn't really grabbing my interest.  Will update with minor improvements soon then.

Urist MacFrench

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2012, 01:24:03 am »

How can we know about the update (aka : what about a launcher autoupdate feature ? ;) ) ?

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2012, 03:52:16 am »

How can we know about the update (aka : what about a launcher autoupdate feature ? ;) ) ?

It has a built in thingy that checks DFFD every two weeks (by default) and pops up a dialog with a link if a new version is available.  I don't think DFFD supports direct download links, so this way is good right now.  Also, it shouldn't need much updating hopefully, tis a pretty basic program.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 20, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »

Do you know what would be cool? Some extra toggles such as exotic pets or elven diplomats.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2012, 09:31:14 pm »

Do you know what would be cool? Some extra toggles such as exotic pets or elven diplomats.

OK here is a bump-response to announce a new version that features region browsing/import/export and a mod loader to easily apply mods at launch, so perhaps the elven diplomat thing can be modded in.  Man there are so many small things to remember to do (which I don't) when releasing a new version of software, I think Toady must have a checklist several pages long to get everything right each time.

Quarterblue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Manila Dwarf Fortress Launcher
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2013, 12:00:05 am »

Great work.

Some suggestions:

-More options for init.txt and d_init.txt files (if possible, an editor)
-Option to load utilities/third party programs at the same time

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:53 pm »

Thanks for the kind words!  Having just upgraded my computer there are a whole bunch of things I'd like to fix with this (like bugs and dealing with higher res screens) and these are good ideas that I could easily implement.  Just a question of time!  Not sure when I'll get round to it, but maybe within a month.  Maybe.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2013, 12:09:48 am »

This project intrigues me. It has some nice features and I'd be sorely tempted to use it, except... the download is over 14 MB?!  :o Unpacked on my hard drive this electronic megabeast takes up some 35 to 36 MB! What's inside this thing, slade?!  :P

I see nearly 4 MB of this consists of mods, some of which I might use and others I won't.
(Yes, I realize that mods have to be unzipped and nested in a folder structure that mimics the DF raws. But some of us can handle that ourselves and prefer to place these inside your Manilla on our own.)

Looking in other folders, I see some images. Most of these are .png, but I did notice a space-wasting "sample.bmp" in colourSchemes. (No offense, I just feel that .bmp is entirely obsolete and should have been phased out decades ago.)

Oh wait... those .png (and .gif) are tilesets - which I will never use.

The Droid fonts are a bit large, taking up over 420 KB. Would a smaller TrueType work just as well?

And... what's this?  ???

No wonder this package is so huge! Inside the "DF" folder is,
THE COMPLETE LINUX VERSION OF DWARF FORTRESS!  ::)

No offense, it's just... I'm shocked.

Is there a possibility you'd release a "lite" version without all the extras? Like, as tiny and bare-bones as possible? As in, just the java app itself, the readme, license, and file dependencies? I think some of us might appreciate it. Please?

EDIT:
In my installation I replaced said "sample.bmp", at 217 KB, with a tiny 8 KB .png version. After minimal testing, it appears to have the same functionality on the Color Scheme tab.

I went ahead and tried to create a "lite" version for personal use. Keeping to the bare minimum, I got it less than 3 MB installed (without Dwarf Fortress or any mods). Compressing that with 7-Zip, I managed to get it down to 2.47 MB (though, a regular .zip is slightly larger).
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:22:53 am by Thundercraft »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5