Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Helms that cover face?  (Read 3685 times)

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Helms that cover face?
« on: February 23, 2012, 11:38:14 am »

First of all; I did use the search function, but I didn't get the answer I wanted (although I did learn plenty of things relevant to my question).

My question is as follows: What specific code does the mask have that allows it to cover the face, and how can I apply this code to armor?

I ask this question because I want to create a helm that covers the entire head, including all components that make up the face (a great helm, for example). Things that cover the face, such as masks seem to have the OVER and UNDER tokens, so I was wondering if any helm that covers the entirety of the head would need one of those tokens. Looking at the raws, I don't see anything special about masks that would make them entirely distinct from hoods (besides what materials that each one can be made from), so I know I'm missing something.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Helms that cover face?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 11:42:40 am »

OVER and UNDER just means its layer.

A sock is under.
A boot is over.

What you want is: coverage 100.

Here a masked helmet / full helmet example:

[ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_MASKED]
[NAME:masked helm:masked helms]
[ARMORLEVEL:1]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[SHAPED]
[LAYER:ARMOR]
[COVERAGE:95] --the best. (5 left for eyeslits)
[LAYER_SIZE:30]
[LAYER_PERMIT:40]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:300]
[HARD]
[METAL]
[BARRED]
[SCALED]
[LEATHER] --acceptable, leather mask plus leather helm.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 11:53:44 am »

Like Meph said the only thing that affects what's covered is the coverage % and all helms in vanilla are 100%.  What masks and caps do is allow an extra layer below or even on top of the helm.
An example is that a fully armored dwarf would have:
Metal cap + metal helm
cloth shirt + metal chain shirt + metal plate armor
metal gauntlets
cloth pants + metal greaves
socks + metal boots

Each layer would offer some protection, and with modding you could add extra layers at various points.  Extra gloves, more pants, triple layered metal socks.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 12:05:31 pm »

Like Meph said the only thing that affects what's covered is the coverage % and all helms in vanilla are 100%.  What masks and caps do is allow an extra layer below or even on top of the helm.
An example is that a fully armored dwarf would have:
Metal cap + metal helm
cloth shirt + metal chain shirt + metal plate armor
metal gauntlets
cloth pants + metal greaves
socks + metal boots

Each layer would offer some protection, and with modding you could add extra layers at various points.  Extra gloves, more pants, triple layered metal socks.
What I'm trying to do is combine the helm with the mask to make one item that would remove the need for having both, and share the same layer.

OVER and UNDER just means its layer.

A sock is under.
A boot is over.

What you want is: coverage 100.

Here a masked helmet / full helmet example:

[ITEM_HELM:ITEM_HELM_MASKED]
[NAME:masked helm:masked helms]
[ARMORLEVEL:1]
[METAL_ARMOR_LEVELS]
[SHAPED]
[LAYER:ARMOR]
[COVERAGE:95] --the best. (5 left for eyeslits)
[LAYER_SIZE:30]
[LAYER_PERMIT:40]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:300]
[HARD]
[METAL]
[BARRED]
[SCALED]
[LEATHER] --acceptable, leather mask plus leather helm.

In arena testing, I'm only able to have masked helms made of leather (because masks aren't armor). Meanwhile, the masked helm is an entirely separate item from the helm that I want to mask. I copy/pasted your example into the raws and I saved.

EDIT: Of course, I could be having a slight misunderstanding of what a mask is supposed to be.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 12:11:03 pm by Stiefel »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 12:14:41 pm »

You cant combine items.

You can give a dwarf a helm and a mask, but you cant merge a mask+helm=masked helm, except with a custm reaction, that will more or less just give you what I already posted.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 12:17:15 pm »

He means he wants to mod in an item that performs the functions of a helm and a mask, not to literally combine them.

Either way, vanilla helms have [COVERAGE:100] and should (in theory) provide total protection.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 12:21:47 pm »

He means he wants to mod in an item that performs the functions of a helm and a mask, not to literally combine them.

Either way, vanilla helms have [COVERAGE:100] and should (in theory) provide total protection.

Vanilla helms don't provide protection for the nose, mouth, cheeks, etc. I confirmed this in arena testing.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 12:22:50 pm »

Do you want a helm that has the description of having a detailed mask?

Right now all masks are is a low coverage leather helm for evil races.  While actual helms are a full coverage metal/leather head armor.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 12:26:08 pm »

Do you want a helm that has the description of having a detailed mask?

Right now all masks are is a low coverage leather helm for evil races.  While actual helms are a full coverage metal/leather head armor.

I want to mod this into the game.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 12:34:24 pm »

You already have this, the normal dwarven helmet, give or take.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 12:42:06 pm »

You already have this, the normal dwarven helmet, give or take.
This would more accurate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 12:44:58 pm »

Also test it again and see that masks offer the same protection of facial features.  You'll notice that a human with a helm+cap has the same defenses as a human with a helm+mask against direct sword attacks against ears, eyes, noes etc.  I've noted this is also the same protection when they don't have helm+ under-layer.

What you want won't work because the current system allows you to cut off noses, thumbs, ears, eyes and what have you no matter what armor they are wearing, as long as you can connect/get through the armor in the area.

Stiefel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:59:52 pm »

Also test it again and see that masks offer the same protection of facial features.  You'll notice that a human with a helm+cap has the same defenses as a human with a helm+mask against direct sword attacks against ears, eyes, noes etc.  I've noted this is also the same protection when they don't have helm+ under-layer.

What you want won't work because the current system allows you to cut off noses, thumbs, ears, eyes and what have you no matter what armor they are wearing, as long as you can connect/get through the armor in the area.
The thing is that when I attack a part of the face (like the nose), even with a helm and cap, the attack completely ignores any armor because there is no armor in that area. In my arena testing, I'm only using punch/kick attacks, so there's no way in hell they're going through any serious armor. Nowhere in the descriptions does it say that my attack went through helm x or cap y. Same goes for masks.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 01:05:39 pm »

Has there been much testing to see if UBSTEP works on helms? I doubt UPSTEP or LBSTEP would work since they rely on the LIMB and STANCE tokens.. I know if you put high values of UBSTEP on a torso armor it can protect facial features like ears and noses (as well as pretty much the whole rest of the body).

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 01:10:33 pm »

As far as I know UBSTEP and LBSTEP can't be applied to helms.  I'm pretty sure this problem was introduced with the new body details and combat system.

Also you would have known a mask wouldn't have done anything if you had tested it out as well.
Pages: [1] 2