Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Me again, this time with a less commonly-suggested item  (Read 1119 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Me again, this time with a less commonly-suggested item
« on: April 05, 2012, 07:43:15 pm »

This is simply a item suggestion that may or may not be able to mod in (If rotting rate is in the raws).
I'm thinking either a new skill or a Cooking/Kitchen ability, "Dry Meat". This would allow you to make, let's say, "Giant Badger Liver Jerky", as all it needs is some meaty item and a kitchen and or "drying" workshop, and would produce food that does not rot but is worth less for balance. I searched for "jerky", a common term for dried meat, and it didn't turn this up. If this is raws codeable, it would requre a [DRIABLE] tag or something, and the product would be [DRIED] and [UNROTTING], dried is a detriment to value and unrotting prevents food from going bad.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Me again, this time with a less commonly-suggested item
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 07:51:11 pm »

You might want to check this thread on preserving foods and against prepared meals, or the food megathread.

More generally, foods need to be more complex for jerky to make sense, however, as any cooked food can be stored forever. 

This is also something that you might be able to make yourself through modding, since you could potentially just make a reaction that uses the meat's creature data as part of creating a new food type item.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 03:26:16 pm »

You'd probably have to create a new "jerky" material, add it to the STANDARD_MATERIALS thingy, and add a reaction to turn a meat unit into a unit of jerky, with another reagent (probably a barrel containing the meat) as [PRESERVE_REAGENT] and [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE-PRODUCT_AMOUNT]. Maybe also a log that [DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT], for the actual smoke to come from.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

thisisjimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 03:42:49 pm »

You should make the title of the thread something more descriptive like, "Drying meats".  Titles like, "Me again, this time with a less commonly-suggested item" aren't very helpful to people looking through the forum.