Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: @@@ Pokemon Fables: Viridian Forest 04-01-12 @@@  (Read 45228 times)

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
Re: @@@ Pokemon Fables: Pallet Town release 02-24-12 @@@
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2012, 03:58:29 pm »

Yup, getting the above details all set has been what I've done over the past couple days. I have some free time this evening, so hopefully I'll be able to get evolution up and running - that's really the only thing between now and a release at this point.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2012, 12:12:42 am »

I think that fort mode is normal and adv. mode is like mystery dungeon.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2012, 12:19:12 am »

I can offer my humble modding skills to this project, as it is something I would love to see.  I've already got several ice-based interactions that could be converted to pokemon attacks without too much difficulty, if you're interested.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2012, 01:33:55 am »

I think that fort mode is normal and adv. mode is like mystery dungeon.

Was generally the vibe I was going for, yes. Obviously a vastly different flavor of mystery dungeon (less Rescue Team, more Vampire Hunter,) but the whole "meet Pokemon, recruit them, go on quests, you+companions get more powerful, repeat" thing is still the driving mechanic. This is an exciting time to be doing an Adventure Mode focused mod, since a lot of new and interesting things are on the horizon with the coming releases.

I can offer my humble modding skills to this project, as it is something I would love to see.  I've already got several ice-based interactions that could be converted to pokemon attacks without too much difficulty, if you're interested.

I, for one, do not object in the slightest if you'd like to offer anything. Articuno's abilities are actually already based on the work you did in the Spellbook thread, although we've fiddled with the cryo material to make it less ridiculous and will likely continue to fiddle.

In general, our philosophy with the techniques has been to keep it simple- Bubblebeam is just a souped-up Water Gun, so they hardly need to both be in. Ideally, every element will have a small handful of damaging techniques that take advantage of the MATERIAL_WEAKNESSes we've got going, and we'll be coupling other techniques with associated debuffs, status effects, boosts to the user, and so forth. The only technique we've got right now that I don't plan to alter is Leech Seed- the others I'll be playing with, especially regarding new research in the aforementioned Spellbook thread. If you've got ideas for a technique or similar ability for a Pokemon, go ahead and throw one up- I do warn that I'll be heavily working on the general Elemental Damage system now that I've got a better idea of how it plays and how to do interactions, so I don't know how much we'll be able to use there. Stat effect stuff will probably carry over though.

If you'd like, I'll also be needing new adventure mode reactions to make X Attack/Calcium/Whatevers craftable by players, so if you've got any experience there I'd be glad to make use of it.

And of course, if there's a Pokemon you want to see in the mod (Civilized or otherwise) feel free to post some raws for it! You can see the general layout of how I've been doing things in creature_pokemon.txt, and for the stat ranges the conversion is in Pokemon Stats and Notes which should be in the same folder.

And in case it isn't obvious, that offer goes to anyone- we may not use what you offer, but we'll certainly consider it and let you know what we think.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2012, 01:54:09 am »

When do we get a release?
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

Mithril Leaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2012, 01:54:22 am »

I'd be happy to offer my help on the team, anything you need done that's within my abilities would be my pleasure. I'd probably be able to hack together a system for the stat boosting items, most likely borrowing heavily from Deon's witcher mod. Plus what I learned from editing the Saiyan mod :D. Later I'll put up a nice calcium if I can get it pretty good. Plus, if I take some of the load off your shoulder, I'll get to have more necromancy to practice.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:33 am »

I'll help out to. I did some reaction practice with Deon's witcher mod.

irdsm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2012, 02:16:14 am »

I like the mod. First release is a little barebones and I find myself dying more often than even a human would. I'm sticking to normal adventure mode for the moment but I'm keeping an eye on this. I expect it's going to get really really interesting when you figure out a way to implement evolution. Also, playing as a fighting pokemon (hitmonchamp/hitmonlee/Machamp especially) is going to be really fun. Just smashing your way through the enemies hehehe do you have any plans for special attack for fighting pokemon? What about psychic/ghost pokemon?

Also
This song is rather conducive to Pokemon modding, I've found. It's how I know I've spent 6 hours on this over the last few days.

I knew exactly what song that was before I even clicked on it.

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2012, 01:09:19 pm »

I expect it's going to get really really interesting when you figure out a way to implement evolution.

They have the basic layout for evolultion ;) Just it might take some time to get it down to perfection with as little oddies as possibe (and there will be oddies due to how it has to be done ;) )

Also I might not be able to add much help, but I can brainstorm, workarounds, and offer some debugging of reactions/creatures.
reasoning for this:

Turning Pets into a working class and even a fighting class of Dwarves, sicence is going well (I'm loving this new system for DF).

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2012, 01:22:35 pm »

I can certainly help with the energy drinks and things.  I'll start with CARBOS (CAPS, because that's how I roll), which I'm pretty sure increases speed:
Spoiler: CARBOS (click to show/hide)

Also, CARBOS is the easiest.  IRON, PROTEIN, CALCIUM, etc. will probably be harder to do.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:39:44 pm by Gizogin »
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2012, 03:45:49 pm »

Aren't the vitamins and whatnot the ones that add attributes permanently? That syndrome seems more like X Speed.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2012, 04:38:58 pm »

Well, it's an easy enough fix either way.  Plus, it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea to add things like X Speed in anyway.  I'll fix the CARBOS so that it's permanent, though the modifier might need some tweaking.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 05:22:07 pm »

I've been checking back hourly for updates. Absolutely nothing. monk12, when are you releasing?

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 06:54:30 pm »

A slight hitch with evolution in fort mode- basically, the AI is dumb. The specific nature of the dumbness means we're reworking that, as well as a few other things. Or, to answer your question, "when it's done."

RE: Heal items- I think I'm shooting for both permanent and temporary buffs. The permanent ones will need some kind of limiting factor, possibly only being craftable by adventurers and unavailable in shops, just because it isn't hard to become fabulously wealthy in adventure mode right now. The mineral based ones are probably fine with the names as given, but I'd like to tweak the temporary ones like X Speed to fit the setting better. There's plenty of berries and apricorns and who-knows-what-all else to draw inspiration from there.

As far as mapping the stat buffs to DF terms, I've got a conversion of DF Attributes to Pokemon Stats already worked out. Strength = Attack, Agility = Speed, Disease Resist = Special, Recuperation = Special, Toughness = Defense and Endurance = Defense. So, IRON (which boosts Defense in Pokemon) will boost Toughness and Endurance equally, PROTEIN ups Attack, and so forth. It's a slight adaptation from what I was using to determine base stats since the only items that directly affect HP are HP UP and healing items.

Anywho, back to the process

Old Greg

• Bay Watcher
  • It was evitable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 07:13:35 pm »

Basically, you can expect release fort mode tomorrow. To be pretty up-front, it will have evolution mechanics, but they might not be entirely ideal. I've spent an egregious chunk of my free time this week trying to code it in and being thwarted by the hardcoding of the game at every turn (not to mention the work Monk's been doing on it as well), so it's about time to just release what I have.

That being said, I look forward to getting it out there, and to hearing your feedback!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11