Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Aiming at joints and organs  (Read 2053 times)

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aiming at joints and organs
« on: February 24, 2012, 11:42:43 pm »

Just thought it'd be pretty cool to be able to aim specifically at the lung or heart instead of "upper body," or knee cap the gobbo instead of have to break their leg.
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aiming at joints and organs
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 11:55:22 pm »

you can mod the raws to do so , but then armor will not fit.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:16:54 am »

As in, "everyone wears their hearts on their sleeves"? ;)

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 01:42:55 am »

Doesnt really make sense imo. Yes elves, dwarfs and humans may generally have organs in the same place (who really knows the anatomy of dwarves and elves), but could you tell me where the heart of a boogeyman is? Wheres the liver of a rhino? Generally I dont think anybody would know... maybe if you could butcher and learn anatomy yes, otherwise no.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 02:17:35 am »

Hm.. Magic? I dunno. It could be something an adventurer either knows or doesn't, or be related to their butchery skill or something, or just abstracted out..
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:01:05 am »

Well currently butchery is only related to how fast you cut it up, which is pretty useless for an adventurer. Relating it to targeted organ attacks would be pretty good. Or diagnostician, if you think about it, a doctor well trained in using a knife would be pretty leathal, assasin doctor all the way.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 06:45:19 am »

I'm pretty sure it could all come down to weapon-use skill.  Smashing the lungs with a mace and stabbing them through the ribs with a knife are completely different skills, and knowing how to do one doesn't equate to knowing how to do it with the other.  On the other hand, part of knowing how to use a weapon properly is knowing how to hit those important vital areas.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 07:59:51 am »

I definitely think some sort of cross-skill of butchery and surgery for military dwarves is a realistically cool idea.
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 10:26:00 am »

I definitely think some sort of cross-skill of butchery and surgery for military dwarves is a realistically cool idea.
so maybe when a patient is being treated, a squad who is training will go and watch the doctor operate and tell them where the organs are? or possibly watch the butcher?
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 02:02:37 pm »

so maybe when a patient is being treated, a squad who is training will go and watch the doctor operate and tell them where the organs are? or possibly watch the butcher?
Field medics

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 07:22:14 pm »

Base it on weapon skill. Training with a weapon includes learning strikes against specific targets, and what you need under combat conditions is to have actually practiced the strike a few hundred times, not just to know that the liver is around here somewhere.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 09:50:52 pm »

Base it on weapon skill. Training with a weapon includes learning strikes against specific targets, and what you need under combat conditions is to have actually practiced the strike a few hundred times, not just to know that the liver is around here somewhere.

Its just theres so many different animals and creatures, you might fight only humans, elves and dwarves to become a legendary sword user, doesnt mean you should be able to stab Roc hearts... maybe they have more than one :O. Cross-skills would be good. Although an effort to add, a general classification in the raws to creatures could work in an interesting way. A Hydra and Dragon are pretty much giant lizards/reptiles with cool different abilities. If you've butchered lizards, being an expert on there anatomy would be pretty neat.

"Urist McSmart, master of the axe and a Herpetologist"
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:52:54 pm by Watsst »

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 12:15:35 am »

Hey, that would work. Each type of critter could just have a tag telling if they were humanoid, or reptilian, or whatever, and the more you fight and butcher creatures with a classification tag the more points you have in your skill vs them. I have no idea how it could be coded, but one extra system shouldn't be too hard for a guy that can single handedly code a universe generator, right?

Ascimator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 03:40:03 am »

I wonder if you get hit but survive, depending on your Focus and Willpower you can actually determine where is that weak point and be more effective. Same goes to hitting others, except you need no Willpower. So you have a better chance to e.g. sever a motor nerve if you have done that earlier.
There is a finely-engraved image of Ascimator on the wall. Ascimator is slapping himself in the face. The artwork relates to the loss of the only anvil in Perplextombs in the late winter of 6.

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2012, 10:35:08 am »

I have no idea how it could be coded, but one extra system shouldn't be too hard for a guy that can single handedly code a universe generator, right?

"One extra system shouldn't be too hard" is the thinking that's given us "you can now accuse people of being vampires" while nothing gets done about farming.
Pages: [1] 2