Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reanimated body parts from same creature attempt to reassemble themselves.  (Read 815 times)

megiddo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

- Reanimated body parts from same creature should attempt to reassemble.
- Reanimated body parts should return to being inanimate after their master dies (maybe 4 or 5 days later).

But all this needs a framework I think. I was reading this old thread about the role that "souls" play in undead creatures. The general consensus is that a "soul" and a "body" should be two separate things in DF, with a soul being like a driver and the body simply being a vehicle. A ghost is a bodiless soul, a zombie/skeleton is a soulless body, possession is one soul invading another soul's body, an evil soul summoned and implanted into a dead body is an undead monster of some kind, etc.

I'm thinking that everything that is currently reanimated by necromancers should lack a "soul." Corpses with newly implanted, evil souls should be different than what we currently have.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Reanimated body parts from same creature attempt to reassemble themselves.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:47:11 am »

I like the rejoining concept, to an extent--it is pleasantly disturbing to have someone's severed hand try to kill you from behind while you fight off the rest of their corpse, though.

However, souls are as much a technical concept as an in-world one.  If an animated, severed hand had no soul, there would be nothing to animate it: the horrifying undead soul may not go to heaven or hell, and a priest probably wouldn't consider it a soul of any kind whether good or evil, but souls control things.  No soul, no control, no animated hand.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 07:05:55 am »

If a ghost is a soul, damn are they brutal souls.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:59:58 am »

I , for one, would like to see animated parts from diffrent creatures combine into bigger and more dangerous monsters. Giant Winged Bone Collosus anyone?

megiddo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 06:10:31 pm »

However, souls are as much a technical concept as an in-world one.

True, but then if we talking purely technical I would leave "souls" and "bodies" to in-game concepts and call each individual unit a "mobile."

Maybe the body parts only attempt to reassemble after being idle for a while or when they have nothing to attack. They will prefer to reassemble with other body parts from the original creature. If the reanimated body parts are left alone long enough they will simply assemble into Frankenstein-monster things like Z1000000m described. It would be in the best interest of the reanimated body parts to assemble together, since they will get bigger, become more mobile (probably), and get more limbs/grasp.