Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Mouse Fortress v1.4d for DF 34.11 - Roller Coastery Wooh!  (Read 90695 times)

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse Fortress v1.0 - Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework - Mouse Control!
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 11:48:23 am »

Hehe, thanks for the feedback!

The spastic cursor, from what I've found, is due to the program checking the mouse and cursor coordinates again after already sending a keypress, but before DF actually shifts the cursor, so it sends an extra keypress. That will probably just take a bit of fiddling with key delays on my part. On a side note, the way the cursor moves is really a limitation of DF's control scheme, I've toyed around with telling it new cursor coordinates directly, but then the game doesn't actually check the tile for entities and the like, which is quite annoying.  :-\ The way the cursor works is going to be changed up a bit next release, and I'll be sure to add in a toggle on/off flag for cursor mouse control.

As for the mousewheel scrolling, I'm guessing that that's an issue of different mouses having different scroll "speeds", that is, some mouses detect more scroll events than others for the same distance taken by the wheel. I'll add in a scroll wheel sensitivity option for sure now, I hadn't realized that could be the case. And also a good idea for the panning, I'll be sure to add in an acceleration-type option for that.
Urist McHauler Cancels Give Food: Patient Insane
------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse Fortress | Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework
Dwarven Higher Learning Mod | Alternative Skill Training

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »

Any rough estimate for the release of the next version you are working on ?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 03:42:08 pm »

I'd say most likely sometime tonight, as I just have a couple of thing left to finish.  :D

kendo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 03:56:23 pm »

New version doesn't work for me, I've replaced the df.exe with the one provided.

I get the right click context menus but I can't drag the cursor with the left mouse button like the previous version?

edit: nvm figured it out, had the mouse turned off in the init file
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 06:31:37 pm by kendo »

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 04:43:02 pm »

A cool feature to add to this would be to actually designate with the mouse by click-and-drag, with live preview. It would work in the backend by really designating the rectangle the mouse is currently defining, for instance set it for mining. When the mouse moves, undesignate the previous rectangle and designate the new one, and so on. Inconvenient is that this will undesignated any area you're dragging over, it's possible to use some memory hacking to remember what were the designations and restore them instead of undesignating.

On a side note, the way the cursor moves is really a limitation of DF's control scheme, I've toyed around with telling it new cursor coordinates directly, but then the game doesn't actually check the tile for entities and the like, which is quite annoying.  :-\ 
Wild uninformed guess, but maybe a workaround for that could be to quickly hide/reveal the tile with dfhack, or do some other dfhack trick to the tile that causes it to "refresh".

As for the mousewheel scrolling, I'm guessing that that's an issue of different mouses having different scroll "speeds" (...)
Just to make sure you're not misunderstanding, the scrolling with the mousewheel between one level and another works fine. It's holding the middle mouse button/mousewheel and dragging the mouse to scroll horizontally that's a bit difficult to use, as well as scrolling by going near the edge of the screen when in d/k mode.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 04:50:18 pm by isitanos »

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2012, 07:07:32 pm »

Alright guys, next version time! This one has a massive syntax overhaul that will hopefully only need to happen once. As a result, the predefined menus and keys are a tad sparse, but I'll add in more fairly soon. In the meantime, feel free to make your own, seeing as that's what this thing's all about.  8)

A cool feature to add to this would be to actually designate with the mouse by click-and-drag, with live preview. It would work in the backend by really designating the rectangle the mouse is currently defining, for instance set it for mining. When the mouse moves, undesignate the previous rectangle and designate the new one, and so on. Inconvenient is that this will undesignated any area you're dragging over, it's possible to use some memory hacking to remember what were the designations and restore them instead of undesignating.

On a side note, the way the cursor moves is really a limitation of DF's control scheme, I've toyed around with telling it new cursor coordinates directly, but then the game doesn't actually check the tile for entities and the like, which is quite annoying.  :-\ 
Wild uninformed guess, but maybe a workaround for that could be to quickly hide/reveal the tile with dfhack, or do some other dfhack trick to the tile that causes it to "refresh".

As for the mousewheel scrolling, I'm guessing that that's an issue of different mouses having different scroll "speeds" (...)
Just to make sure you're not misunderstanding, the scrolling with the mousewheel between one level and another works fine. It's holding the middle mouse button/mousewheel and dragging the mouse to scroll horizontally that's a bit difficult to use, as well as scrolling by going near the edge of the screen when in d/k mode.

The click-and-drag live preview thing is actually something I've been thinking about for quite a while, and the only reason it isn't in is because I need to hook into DFHack to get it to anything approaching a usable state, so if I port this over to DFHack, that's definitely going in.

Updating tiles efficiently is also something that hooking into DFHack would be necessary for. Although, I have been toying around with a few ways of manually doing it, and if I work one out that works as well as I'd like, I'll definitely change the cursor code. But for now, I've optimized it some more.  :)

If the issue with the scrolling (excluding the pan scrolling, which I'm working on updating) persists, then I'd love some more specific feedback so I can figure out what to change.

Hope you guys like this update! I did a bunch of stuff that should make everything run smoother from here on out, so it'll be easier to add in new stuff later on.  :D

isitanos

• Bay Watcher
  • Seasonal river flood nostalgic
    • View Profile
Re: Mouse Fortress v1.1 - Custom Menu and Hotkey Framework - Mouse Control!
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2012, 09:33:27 pm »

Oh, also in 1.0 (haven't tried 1.1 yet) the mouse wheel would both zoom in and out and do the Mouse Fortress thingy of moving up and down z-levels. I had to delete the zooming hotkeys in DF.

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2012, 09:44:55 pm »

Oh, also in 1.0 (haven't tried 1.1 yet) the mouse wheel would both zoom in and out and do the Mouse Fortress thingy of moving up and down z-levels. I had to delete the zooming hotkeys in DF.

Yeah, that's super easy to fix, just bind something to WheelUp and WheelDown in keys.txt and make sure to keep in mind that if a key is prefixed by a ~ it means the original function still goes off as well as the script's function.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:00:05 pm by Shukaro »

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2012, 05:55:49 am »

Is it possible to create Submenus in the main Menu?
I'd like to recreate the build menu in Mouse Fortress, so i only have one option when rightclicking and it pops out the choices i have when i click on it/hover over it. (Hope you understand what I mean)

I was also wondering if its possible to have the option to drag the menu cursor, so the option under the mouse would always be selected. (In things like the build menu, so i can effectively just click on items in the game menu)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 05:57:33 am by CheatingChicken »

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2012, 11:02:02 am »

Indeed it is possible to make as many submenus and subsubmenus as you'd like, just specify the menu under which you want an entry to be. An important thing to note about creating menus is that the ordering is very important, the menus deepest in the list should be the ones at the top of the file.

For example:

Code: [Select]
Carpenter's Workshop|Workshops|g(bwc)
Workshops|Buildings
Buildings

Would make the Buildings menu in the main menu, the Workshops menu under the Buildings menu, and the Carpenter's Workshop menu under the Wokshops menu which when selected goes to the actual in-game placement menu. Hope that make sense.  :)
Anyway, I'm working on rebuilding the predefined menus and keys, so some defaults should be available tonight probably.

In regards to the in-game menu navigation, the best way to do that is by using the mousewheel send + and - keystrokes. I'm also working on a way to make that more intuitive as well. Being able to directly click and select menu items is something that would take a ton of extra, very specific coding, and due to the way menus in DF are currently coded (Scarily), I'm not entirely sure it would even be possible, even with DFHack.  :-\

CheatingChicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2012, 11:26:07 am »

Thanks, i did it the other way, thinking that i first need to create the parent menu :)

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2012, 11:31:53 am »

Thanks, i did it the other way, thinking that i first need to create the parent menu :)

Yeah, the way menus in AHK work is a bit non-intuitive, I'll add in some more explanation about it to the readme, as it can be really confusing if you haven't worked with it before. :-[

Edit: An updated version for 34.03 will be out this afternoon.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 11:35:27 am by Shukaro »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2012, 12:40:48 pm »

New Version ? 34.03 ? *eye-starts-to-twitch* mod... compability...

Anyway, I will wait with the test for your update then ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shukaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2012, 01:12:10 pm »

New Version ? 34.03 ? *eye-starts-to-twitch* mod... compability...

Anyway, I will wait with the test for your update then ^^

Yeah, Toady has been on a bugfixing roll lately, 34.03 fixes most of the major weirdness that 34.02 had. This next update shouldn't take too long, I'm just fixing up a few things, adding in a flag or two, and setting up proper predefined menus and keys.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2012, 02:50:37 pm »

Nice. Updating my mod was easy as well, all done :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14