Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Risen  (Read 4464 times)

Croquantes

• Bay Watcher
  • Essence of Chicken
    • View Profile
Re: Risen
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2009, 02:37:13 am »

Thing is, I actually liked Gothic 3. Didn't beat it, cuz the storyline gets a bit convoluted and it's annoying to find those stupid chalices, but I enjoyed myself for a good bit.

Playing Risen... Now, I like Risen, it's just the whole time I'm playing I get this sinking feeling of, "Haven't I played this before?". The developers took the idea of "spiritual successor" too far and instead rehashed the story lines from the last three Gothic games. In fact, I bet the reason Risen came around was because the publisher didn't think they had milked enough from the Gothic series, realising Gothic 3 had ruined the series for everyone they were forced to start anew.

I like Risen, it's okay and I'm still playing through it, but the feeling of deja vu is really hard for me to get over. I wish a little more creativity had gone into the storyline.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2009, 02:15:12 pm »

Thing is, I actually liked Gothic 3. Didn't beat it, cuz the storyline gets a bit convoluted and it's annoying to find those stupid chalices, but I enjoyed myself for a good bit.

Playing Risen... Now, I like Risen, it's just the whole time I'm playing I get this sinking feeling of, "Haven't I played this before?". The developers took the idea of "spiritual successor" too far and instead rehashed the story lines from the last three Gothic games. In fact, I bet the reason Risen came around was because the publisher didn't think they had milked enough from the Gothic series, realising Gothic 3 had ruined the series for everyone they were forced to start anew.

I like Risen, it's okay and I'm still playing through it, but the feeling of deja vu is really hard for me to get over. I wish a little more creativity had gone into the storyline.

PB couldn't make a new Gothic game if they wanted to.  The rights are owned by JoWood, who kicked them off development of Gothic 4.  That's why they released Risen.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 04:39:03 am »

I have a beta key for Risen 2.  It's USA/Canada only.  Anyone want it?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 04:45:27 am »

Too bad about those region restrictions...
Love, scriver~

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 05:24:08 am »

Slightly off topic: I've never played the Gothic series but I'm always on the hunt for a good RPG. My question is how does Gothic/Risen compare to the classics like Baldur's Gate in things like gameplay, story, environments. 

I'm a fan of the cRPGs based around party tactics and I've gotten rather bored of the whole 1 man versus the world (ala your Oblivions and Witchers). Is combat in the series more tactical or is it a more hack and slash vibe? I have to admit the whole hack and slash thing bores me after a while (unless a game gets it perfect, ala Mount and Blade).

I don't mind the whole exploration thing as long as the environments are interesting and filled with various things to do/charactors (unlike Fallout 3). Is the storyline rather linear and just let's you "fuck around" finding stuff on your break or is the storyline more free-form and compliments the exploration?

How is the writing/storyline? I don't need the game to be Planescape level but I don't want to spend the whole game cringing. From the blerb on the GOG page it seems to have a bit of a STALKER vibe which sounds pretty decent.

Is the ruleset basically just shallow stat upgrading, decent depth or just too complex to bother without downloading a powerbuild off the internet?

In Short: Would a person who's not massive on exploring boring locations or hack and slash combat, a person who prefers a more tactical cRPG experience, enjoy the Gothic/Risen series?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 05:26:05 am by Catastrophic lolcats »

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 07:03:19 am »

I have a beta key for Risen 2.  It's USA/Canada only.  Anyone want it?

Same here. I got one too. Let me know if you want it.
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 08:09:32 am »

In Short: Would a person who's not massive on exploring boring locations or hack and slash combat, a person who prefers a more tactical cRPG experience, enjoy the Gothic/Risen series?

Risen is pretty much hack&slash, there is no party, it's really "one man vs the world". The combat is well done though, at least compared to oblivion/skyrim, but if you want tactical party combat and story, the only recent game i can think of is Dragon Age (if you haven't played it yet), but it has its flaws too. I didnt like Fallout 3 much either (though i didnt go very far in the storyline), but if you get the chance, try to play New Vegas instead, i found it more engaging (even if the combat isnt tactical like in Fallout1,2&tactics).

All in all i liked Risen, it was a good game, but once i finished it, there was nothing that made me want to replay it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 10:29:08 am by Sirian »

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 09:55:18 am »

I WANT THE BETA KEY
I got nothing

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher