Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tengu Fortress! - v0.3.0 - Agriculture + The underground update!  (Read 7737 times)

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Tengu Fortress! - v0.2.0 - Basic religion system!
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 04:11:57 am »

More work! Got the surface plants all worked out, added some texture to growth times, added many uses to plants, although they're still primarily a food source. I will likely return to this particular branch many times, as being a midwesterner, I have to do something involving farming every now and then or I will die. (also because I enjoy plants)

Onward to underground plants! And underground biome diversity in general. I'll be adding several monsters, likely the first appearence of supernatural creatures, likely an oni will be among these creatures, along with several plants. And several "plants". You'll know them when you see them!

After that's done, I can move on to testing, which will likely take a pretty decent amount of time. This is a pretty big update, and I'm excited for it.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 10:15:08 pm »

A small update, I forgot a file people need to remove from the folder if you're doing the raw installation. The OP has been updated. Again, not a huge deal, just means you'll have megabeasts where there shouldn't be any.

To make this something more then "I messed up oops", I'll likely be adding some megabeasts to wrassle with for the next update, since I'm doing creatures ANYWAY and there'll be a lot of megabeasts to do, as japanese mythology has no shortage of big intimidating things and people.

Sooo probably best to just trickle them in over time. Expect interactions!

EDIT: Oh, also, Special note to etherdrinker, the next patch will have the dash in kusari-gama, I swore I put it in before I put it up, and just noticed now I hadn't. I do appreciate the grammar/spelling fixes!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:56:18 am by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 02:22:58 am »

Alright! Just finished all the new creatures. There's a total of around 10-11, a handful of them were made by blackflame, and I just borrowed and edited them, with permission. They're here if you'd like a sneak peak. People that know their japanese mythology may already be aware of what I've turned them into, just renaming them for the most part.

Two of the new creatures are megabeasts, and I'm pretty happy with how both of them turned out! They both appear above ground, but overall the underground should be a lot more dangerous now as well. Not without reward though!

So yes. I'm on to testing, after perhaps adding a few more underground plants, then once that's done (and who knows how long that'll take), there'll be a release, and this mod will finally have some meat to it! Hold tight.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 07:21:23 pm »

An issue arises! Namely that due to biome shuffling, every biome has one, maybe two crops. Soooo yes. I'll need to be adding more plants. Or more biomes to the plants. Probably both! I suspect this'll add quite a bit to how long it'll take for the next patch, so yes. Soon!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:28:12 pm by Seriyu »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2013, 07:27:20 pm »

Plant suggestion:

Millet! It was cultivated in China even before rice, and it's type of plant that was cultivated in many ancient cultures as well.
Also, maybe some plant spices? Garlic, ginger, pepper... not a foodstuff per se, but as meal ingredients, maybe? You already have luxury-good-kind Tea and Tobacco, after all.
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2013, 07:32:47 pm »

That sounds excellent! Consider them in. And yeah, I have no issue with "spice foods" or "trade good plants", it'd do a lot to add a bit of complexity to farming as an industry, even!

ohohoho man I just found a huge plant database sorted by region, my plant problems are over.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 07:34:22 pm by Seriyu »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2013, 07:35:42 pm »

* Haspen can't wait to be able to make rice cookies with ginger, then :3

I think I will return to 34.11 just for your mod.
SigFlags!
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2013, 08:13:31 pm »

I'm flattered! I appreciate it.

Obligatory warning that, right now (as in the current patch, not the version I'm working on now), the mod is not in a terribly good state in my opinion (I posted the mod very early on when I basically just had tengu done, to keep me from toddling away from it for months at a time, which actually happened before I finally decided to release it and light a fire under me, released a patch finishing up what I had made of the initial religion system, so it's all in a very primitive state right now), but the next patch is looking to add a significant amount of MEAT to the mod in general, and the patch after that, presuming I can stay on schedule, should get the goblins more in theme (thinking right now, probably an aglamation of minor demons from japanese myth, as japanese myth has about a jillion varieties of goblin, and I'm sure china has a similar amount) and finally get things on track as a whole!

Thank ya for the interest! Please feel free to yell about anything that seems off. :P

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2013, 08:18:04 pm »

Yes, eastern mythologies are full of various little imps and demons and jumping vampires (those are my favorite). Do some research, even on wikipedia.

Maybe add philosophical schools? Dunno how that could work in-game, though... skill increase? Confucius was a dancer, after all :P
SigFlags!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2013, 11:52:11 pm »

Hadn't even thought of Jiang-shi, they'll probably make it into the civ, definitely. If not there as a generic creature in evil biomes or something!

Similarly, I do like the philosophical schools idea, I might implement it into humans somehow, as I had been toying with the idea of various human castes if you manage to irritate them enough to invade you! They originally were gonna have some interactions, self buffing stuff mostly, and philosophical schools could definitely help suss that out!

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2013, 12:41:01 am »

ALRIGHT! Just fired off v3.0. Changelog is in the OP near the bottom! Notably agriculture changes have occured and the lower cavern layers have been fleshed out more. Still not quite as full as I'd like but as I find more and more little mythological beasties that seem like they belong down there it'll likely fill out.

As of now it's sort've a trial period, as I still need to make sure megabeasts are arriving, but I've made sure all the agriculture stuff works, and the plants and creatures seemed to be spawning fine. So if anything seems odd or wrong lemme know and I'll fix it up!

I'll also post a music link because music link. I've toyed with the idea of setting up a soundsense profile for tengu fortress but that would certainly come later and even then I promise nothing. Just an idea I've been thinking of!

EDIT: I missed something! Values will be a little wonky (and in some cases excessively high - you'll be able to buy out a good portion of a caravan with the extract of a very particular plant that grows in the lowest caverns, but it's fairly rare and grows very slow so it shouldn't be too terrible), but by and large it'll just be values being too high for what they should be. They will go down with the "real" release.

EDIT2: SO MUCH STRAW! Also bread. Wheat yields will likely be toned down, although they'll still probably be producing quite a bit compared to say, potatoes or eggplants. Again it'll come in the next release. Since no one is yelling too loudly, I'll assume nobody minds (or nobody is playing) and as such I have all the time in the world! If you would like these two fixes to go out sooner rather then later, please feel free to let me know.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 10:29:40 pm by Seriyu »

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
Re: Tengu Fortress! - v0.3.0 - Agriculture + The underground update!
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 11:32:22 pm »

Just a note, I'm not dead! I'm just obsessed with the most recent warframe update. When my warframe based fervor dies down long enough to get any serious work done on the mod, this mod will continue. If there are any enormous game shattering bugs, please let me know and I will fix them promptly! Until then enjoy what there is.
Pages: 1 [2]