Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2173656 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
[34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move
« on: February 26, 2012, 07:57:59 am »

The fortress has run its course. Feel free to read and enjoy, and discuss the strange setting we made and the sequel to be made!

Welcome to Spearbreakers! The hopeful epic for DF2012! WARNING: TEXT BLOCKS TO FOLLOW.

With a combination of modding and decent involvement on the part of overseers and the community at large, I hope to forge the first epic of the new version, to hopefully be surpassed in insanity by greater tales for the new version spawned from this. I encourage everyone to get involved in some way! Stories, doodles, insane rambling and speculation, come on board for the awaiting insanity! Hell, we managed to start a timewar before one overseer got his first proper update up.

There are a number of overseers already lined up, so that a stable base is in place for more to join on. Credits to the Spearbreakers modding team: Mr Frog (mystery race, testing,) Myself (Splint; Mountain Barbarians, testing) and Talvieno (Very involved in testing and idea contribution) for most of what was done, and Hugo_The_Dwarf for providing the stone warhammer and anvil casting reactions.

Before anything, I'll list specifically what was done.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And now, Challenges!

Concession to FPS concerns: FPS Seems to enjoy taking random dips to nothingness. Autuodump and fastdwarf for noncombat purposes are allowed. If you don't want to entrust a monument to the next guy, I'd strongly advise the fastdwarfing.

Ok, now for the Dwarves
Starting seven
Overseers:

Standard spring to spring turns. You have three days to claim the save and two weeks to complete the game unless a steady stream of updates is given or we're informed of any RL hold-ups which will be given an extention. Force the sake of trimming down the list, only two turn skips are permissable before you're removed from the turn list. You can request as many new turns as you like, however there must be a minimum of 3-4 turns between your turns.

Turns List

Ok boys and girls, due to a recent curse we've been struck by, I've dropped the current turn list in favor of a more stable and hopefully reliable system. All previous overseers are now free to sign up every third turn for another round, and there will be a max of six players who know they'll be available when their turn rolls around. Hope that's cool with everyone.

Splint - Year 1 - [COMPLETE]
Talvieno - Year 2 - [COMPLETE]
Mr Frog - Year 3 - [COMPLETE]
Draignean - Year 4 - [COMPLETE]
Sus - Year 5 - [COMPLETE]
Mitchewawa - Year 6 - [COMPLETE]
Paintbrushturkey - Year 7 [COMPLETE]
Splint - Year 8 - [COMPLETE]
Reudh - Year 9 - [COMPLETE]
Tomio175 - Year 10 - [COMPLETE]
Splint - Year 11 - [COMPLETE]
Savero Greenpages <NPC> - Final Year - [COMPLETE]

Dorfing List
This list will be updated as people get thier desired dwarves. Post any specifics, such as gender/profession, and I'll update the list. Otherwise mark unused dwarves as NPCs w/ a random nickname due to so many shared first names.

-Awaiting dwarves
UP TO DATE AND FULFILLED! :D

Casualties
This will be a list of Dorf'd players and overseers killed in battle/due to stupidity. NPC dorfs won't be listed. Who will be our Alius?

Ashsaber I - Mutation
Ashsaber II - WIA; Died of injuries/neglect
HARD - Killed in Action
The Master - Failed mood(berserk)/pike induced head trauma.
Sus I - Remains discovered at an unknown time by Messenger Terrahex.
Sus II - Bled to death, Forgotten beast toxins.
Aseaheru I - Missing, presumed dead.
Aseaheru II - WIA, killed by dehydration/starvation. Nobdy thought he was worth bringing to the hospital after he was injured.
Wynz - Dehydration/medical neglect. That fucking hospital is going to be the death of us.
Bombzero - Killed in horrible clusterfuck. So long mad butcher... We hardly knew ye.
Aira - Death by neglect while imprisoned, accused for a murder she didn't commit to spare the guilty party, a soldier.
Tahujdt - Accidently'd in the spikewalk. Some part of me wants to not list this because.... Well I thought we were smarter than this, but then we've all seen what happens when a repeat order gets forgotten... (MUGS EVERYWHERE!)
SoulSlicerJames - Killed in Action
Sus III - Killed in Action
Pokonic - Killed in Action
Jack Magnus - Killed in Action twice, now Draconik's cybernetics experiment dummy every time he goes and hurts himself.
Megaman - Bled to death, Forgotten Beast toxins.
Splint - KIA
Eldes - Killed by spawn
BFEL - Killed trying to save Loud Whispers
Lennoxite - Killed by spawn; wasn't even supposed to be on the road.
Loud Whipsers - Blind fear ended his life.
Rose (Xahnel) - KIA
Telgin - KIA
Ranger22550 - Spawn fever; killed by squadmates.
Aussieevil - Spawn fever, killed by a mess of soldiers after mangling the Tith Collector.

Slain beasts/leaders
Anything notable the dwarves fell will be listed here. Titans, FBs, goblin assault team leaders and the like.

We also got our own TV Tropes page from nowhere. Dunno how that happened.

A Tinychat some of us set up for whatever. Conversation may include story stuff, random games, music, or ponies. Basically random as all hell. WARNING: You may come in mid song so you may wanna lower your volume when you join. Just use your bay12 name or something close to it for ease of IDing eachother.

And now a Spearbreakers RTD! Thank Terrahex for that, have a ball getting shot, blown up, eaten by robots and aliens or sucked through a  time portal! And that's if you avoid getting crushed under piles of mugs.

And now an Alternate Reality version.

Our probably grandest project, creating a wiki of all the shit we've created here.

*NOTE: No, there's aren't any vampires. I was expecting horrible levels of underpopulation we've been experiencing, and the Vampires seem to enjoy kill the useful dwarves first. If you wanted them in the game to deal with, you've come to the wrong place; I also fucking hate vampires in general.

Last but not least, my own reaction, as in just 5 years this place became what it will almost certainly always be:

I have realized that, because Mitch and Paintbrush didn't really add much, it only took roughly 4-5 years for this place to become a veritable bedlam house, with doors leading nowhere, impossibly verticle well shafts in the hopital, rooms with no discernable purpose, and the fort itself is trying to literally warp and implode itself with its own utter hatred of sanity out of sheer spite because we're trying to keep this clusterfuck orderly.

When I sit and think about, I can only think "This must've been what ThatAussieGuy felt like when he realized just how fucked up Swordthunders was...." And that feeling is both complete joy and tremendous pride.

I fucking love you guys for this.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - Mugs. Cavies. Spawn.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 09:16:13 am »

Spearbreakers: The Fan Sequel to Syrupleaf
Okay, assisting Splint here with what's going on in Spearbreakers!

The Story Thus Far:
Spearbreakers.doc (Download link) | Spearbreakers.pdf (Download link)Updated to August 10th, encompassing 4/5 of the story
If I missed anything, please let me know.
YEAR 1: Splint (2/26/2012 - 2/26/2012): 1; Save
YEAR 2: Talvieno (2/27/2012 - 2/28/2012): 1, 2, 3; Save
YEAR 3: Mr Frog (2/29/2012 - 3/06/2012): 1, 2, 3, 4; Save
YEAR 4: Draignean (3/15/2012 - 4/08/2012): 1, 2, 3, 4, Save
YEAR 5: Sus (4/08/2012 - 4/13/2012): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Save
YEAR 6: Mitchewawa (4/25/2012 - 6/02/2012): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, Save
YEAR 7: Stormtemplar: (BEGAN, SKIPPED)
YEAR 7: Paintbrushturkey (7/07/2012 - 7/16/2012): 1, Save
YEAR 8: Splint (7/17/2012 - 8/17/2012): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, Save
YEAR 9: Reudh (8/22/2012 - 10/08/2012): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 (3 posts), 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 (2 posts), 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 (2 posts), 41, 42, Save
YEAR 10: Tomio175 (10/11/2012 - 11/13/2012): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 (2 posts), 12 (2 posts), 13, 14 (2 posts), Save
YEAR 11: The Master: (BEGAN, SKIPPED)
YEAR 11: Lolfail0009: (BEGAN, SKIPPED)

Our TVTropes Page (We actually weren't the ones who started it!)
Feel free to edit if you feel you have something to add.

A series of full-length novels that follow Spearbreakers' story, starting in the winter of Mitchewawa's year.

The Spearbreakers Wiki! Still under construction, but contains over 150 pages, many containing information found nowhere else. Feel free to help edit!

Art
Art moved HERE due to us reaching the 40k character limit... again.

Stories (and Other Quotes)
This section is comprised of out-of-turn journal entries and Spearbreakers-related stories. Nominations gain a post the «» decoration. To nominate a post, simply say "I'd like to nominate _____________." It's that simple. You can't nominate more than one at a time, nor can you nominate your own, but older posts are just as eligible as new ones.
If you would like me to rename your story/entry/poem title here, please contact me!
Stories have been moved due to reaching 40k limit; click here for link

Quotes have been split into two categories: quotes with multiple nominations (our finest) and quotes with only one nomination (still good).
Quotes:
Our best quotes.
Journal of Mitch, Galena 201

Holy shit.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.

We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
We're into autumn now, WE SURVIVED! (Granted we survived because Godzilla and Mothra arrived at the same time and decided to fight each other, not because of our military prowess)
I predict that, even if storm were to deliberately sabotage every single industry in the fortress, absolutely nothing bad would come of it and another completely-unrelated problem would arise from a completely-unexpected and bizarre source. This is the fort that was delayed for a week to fine-tune the Spawn and founded on the edge of a Terrifying biome, yet went on to have its own hospital as its archnemesis. This is the fort where the primary means of fending off invaders is other, meaner invaders. This is Spearbreakers, where all goddamn bets are off.
... Yes, I like how the canon went from:

Questionable, did Syrupleaf happen? Or was the narrator unreliable? Armok restarted everything?
to
Oh my god, timeskipping transmultidimensional future-drug-addict bioengineer (dj?) is double-triple-recrossing (?) Ubermensch evil(?) company masters who happen to be involved in a three way timewar with two evil (?) companies bent on controlling/destroying (?) the hideous dwarven monstrosities that are now swarming over the planet because the Ubermensch may or may not want them to be an army for him (?) and a possibly insane woodcutter is attempting to thwart the ruthless dj's convoluted plot with the help of a possible elvish outcast/spy/dwarven skulker/unreliable narrator/love interest to a drugged foriegn soldier who happens to have helped the bioengineer save the fortress from the terrorism of a lone (?) insane (?) dimensional traveller while in the background of all this, the timewar is progressing nicely, with armored vehicles hiding in the bushes only feet away from trained dwarven soldiers getting attacked by Holistic Spawn as the enemy of the timewar soldiers lay an ambush with high tech railguns and flails.
Oh god, everyone in the fort is heavily medicated and boozed up just to deal with backround noise. That's a bit hardcore.
... The Spawn are tough as hell, but -- unfortunately -- 'tough as hell' is a finite value and thus not nearly enough to weather the zombies.

On the plus side, we now have an automated defense system that is literally mathematically-impossible for invaders to survive. Because Spearbreakers.
But I thought... clones... buh..? I GIVE UP THIS PLACE MAKES NO SENSE WITH THE TIME TRAVEL OR MAYBE NO TIME TRAVEL AND THE CLONES AND THE CLONES AND THE TIME TRAVEL AND AND AND AAAAHAHAHAUUGH
Mr Frog has gone stark raving mad!
Wow, Spearbreakers is so ninja we ninja'd the internet itself.
Another fucking necromancer got spotted by a puppy wandering around. WHY CAN I NOT HAVE A FORT FREE OF THESE ASSHOLES!?
I think it's a manhood thing.

"If you can brave the blood plain, the Spawn and the dwarves of the place called Spearbreakers, then you truly are a Necromancer. Plus, you have to recover the books we lost there."
[...] When the squad arrives, the seqivet disappear. You fear they haven't actually been vaporized, as you don't have a Colonel Fischer [...]
"This is Spearbreakers, and anything underneath it is our property. These things are just renting the space, and they haven't paid their rent."
SPEARBREAKERS EXPLAINED: There was something in the booze.
Only Ballpoint would look at a bloodsucking corpse that has been given the ability to self-propagate and dump it in the bin marked 'REJECT -- NOT KILLY ENOUGH'.
Yes, and what's more interesting is that one of them, Deler Inkblushed the Union of Haunts, the most recent necromancer to die in 207 was the first king of our civ from 1- 72 iirc. Fischer's a KINGKILLER.
Holy balls, so..... We commited regicide without meaning to. AWESOME.
Fucking Incredible Superdwarven Culler of Horrors and Ender of Reigns
Spearbreakers: Did it go right? Praise Fischer! Did it go wrong? Blame Reudh!
If TvTropes refers to the Spawn as the 'Bigger Fish', i guess that explains why Fischer is... the Fischer.
Heh, Master is going deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole.
On the bright side, I don't have to live through this.  Who'd have thought death would have such benefits?
And everyone just got mindfucked.
That is a very normal condition for this topic
If it means progress with the fort itself, I'd be willing to start sacrificing virgins.
Assuming it's not too grotesque to imagine, I think the size difference between individual manamaids would be enough to let them mount each other... and that does sound horribly, horribly wrong, in more ways than I can count.
Reudh cancels Praise Talvi's Writing: Seeking brain bleach
Spearbreakers broke Bay12.

Somehow, I'm not surprised.
Do animals count as casualties?
Only if they're giant emus.

Well... Actually, scratch that. Then they count as leather.
[offhandedly]Sometimes fires start on the surface for no discernible reason.
Well... Do animals count as casualties?
Only if they're giant emus.

Well... Actually, scratch that. Then they count as leather.

Sometimes fires start on the surface for no discernible reason. ... you can use DFHack to douse the flames. Just bullshit it as a bucket brigade. Alternatively, if there are no dwarves topside where they can get hurt, just let the fire rage and do its thing.
You know the bitch of that is Fischer and Stova were both pretty bog standard with some above average strength and agility. Only difference between the two is while Fischer has a poorer immune system, she lived.

And proceeded to tell all of spawndom to go and collectively fuck themselves.
Mine the spire. We need a dump for... uncouth miscreants.
They all go to the same hell. Although I suppose one the just dumps you into hell itself instead of the palace would be useful.

Theories of How Spearbreakers Could Actually Exist
Click here or simply scroll down to Mr Frog's post.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:54:22 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A hopful epic.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:19:51 am »

Looking forwards to hearing how the first year goes! :) Then again, we're likely to be dead or doomed by the time I get through with my turn, so... maybe you should take your time? :P But no, really - lots of pics. I already know you're a good writer.  Also, perhaps I should've left this space free for the intro...

Mr Frog helped me master the art of adding images.
And it seems the place was more forgivving than I thought. Litarally split down the middle between sinister babrbarian blood raing terrorzone and calm (I thought it was untamed wilds) surroundings. I figured the barbarian blood rain would do something, but all it did was really just be plain disgusting. Full year to follow in the next hour to hour and a half.

The Master

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 12:33:07 pm »

This is going to be one hell of a fort. The OP is SomethingAwful forums quality! I can't wait to see how badly I destroy the fortress on my turn!
Holy jesus I thought I was ready but nothing could have prepared me for this
Hush, little Asea, don't you cry.
If he notices we'll surely die!
You. Made. Asea. CRY.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A hopeful epic.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:23 pm »

So far as I can tell, the various nightmare rains/mists are restricted to Neutral Evil and Savage Evil biomes.

Here's hoping that we didn't f*ck up and the barbies aren't freakishly-overpowered invincible engines of death, and that when it inevitably turns out that we did and they are, the current overseer manages to pull things up before the fortress becomes completely unsalvageable (95% unsalvageable is acceptable and somewhat encouraged).

Also, dammit why'd you tell them about the mystery race and their magma resistance, I was so looking forward to the panic and destruction that only an army of perpetually-burning invaders can cause :-\

EDIT: What size world is this? How long is the history? My comp tends to metaphorically go into the fetal position when asked to load anything more than Small w/200 years :-\

EDIT II: I think "quasi-humans" would be a better term for the barbies.

BIG DAMN EDIT:
nvm, Talvi's got it
Since Talvieno is currently tied to a pipe in my garage until we're sure he isn't one of them indisposed indefinitely, I've taken the initiative to collate the updates and fan stories in his stead.

EXTREMELY BELATED UPDATE: Talvi was eventually found and everything was sorted out. Move right along.

Fortress Updates:

YEAR 6 - Mitchewawa: 12, 13, 13.5, Save

YEAR 7 - stormtemplar: 1

Fan Stories:

YEAR 6:
Mr Frog: How Mitchewawa Created the Spawn with a Glue Gun, Ballpoint Pens, and Prosthetic Johnny Bravo Hair | Mr Frog Finds His Journal Doohickey, Thereby Causing Shit to Get Real
Hanslanda: Urist and the Spawn Orgy | Urist and the Actually-Semi-Competent Hospital | Urist and the Vampire Coming-Out Party | Urist and the Worst Assignment Ever | Urist and the Suicide Junkie | Urist and the Zombies | Urist and the Welcome Party | Urist and the Suspiciously-Innocuous Suggestion | Urist and the Kool-Aid | Urist and the Unidentified Important Person | Urist and the Continued Lesson On Why One Must Not Drink The Kool-Aid | Urist and the Grumpy Kool-Aid Peddler | Urist and the Crazy Hypnotist | Urist and the Epilogue
Sus: Ramblings Of A Doomed Cripple
Mitchewawa: [D]umping Deathless Monsters Into Underground Torture Oubliettes Solves Nothing: A Cautionary Tale
Splint: Barbie Social Studies

Quotes:
I predict that, even if storm were to deliberately sabotage every single industry in the fortress, absolutely nothing bad would come of it and another completely-unrelated problem would arise from a completely-unexpected and bizarre source. This is the fort that was delayed for a week to fine-tune the Spawn and founded on the edge of a Terrifying biome, yet went on to have its own hospital as its archnemesis. This is the fort where the primary means of fending off invaders is other, meaner invaders. This is Spearbreakers, where all goddamn bets are off.
If a bunch of rabid, insane beavers built a giant dam, it would make more sense than this.

EVEN BIGGER BIG DAMN EDIT:
As The Master was kind enough to point out to everyone in this post, the ending to Syrupleaf -- which this is pretty much a sequel to -- stated very very clearly that the entire goddamn planet was encased in solid obsidian at the end. This would be a significant hindrance to the continued existence of civilization on the planet, as said civilization would currently be being baked at high temperature under several tonnes of slowly-solidifying molten rock.

Fortunately, not even the most unambiguously-apocalyptic ending can stand against the mighty forces of ‼BULLSHIT‼. Here's some of ours. So that nobody has to feel left out, we aren't going to explicitly settle on a specific explanation, so you, dear reader, are free to select the whichever offends your common sense the least.

Here are all the theories that have been floated to date, with links to the relevant post if one is available:

The "Not-Really-A-Sequel" Theory:
(Originally floated by Talvieno)

This isn't actually set after Syrupleaf.

The "Syrupleaf's-Narrator-Was-A-Filthy-Stinking-Liar" Theory:
(Originally floated by Splint)

Everoc was magma'd, but Syrupleaf's ending was a poetic flourish made by someone who cared more about telling a cool story than leaving an accurate historical record. Also, the person telling it may honestly have thought that Everoc was the whole world, and so saw its destruction as being far more apocalyptic than it actually was.

The "A-Planeshifting-Mad-Scientist-From-The-Future-Did-It" Theory:
(Originally conceived by myself; was never explicitly floated in the thread itself, but obliquely referred to in several of my journals)

Spearbreakers takes place in an alternate timeline where the Holistic and her Spawn were defeated before things could get out-of-hand; Everoc was devastated, but the world at large survived. However, a shady interplanar corporation of some stripe later re-introduced the Spawn because they thought it'd be funny in the name of scientific knowledge.

The Urist McNarrator, Narrator cancels Give accurate account: Too insane Theory:
(Originally floated by Talvieno, later illustrated by Solpyre)

The horrific nature of the events at Syrupleaf caused the narrator to snap and the narration to wander over into Crazytown.

The "Thank-Armok-For-Cometbeasts-And-Heatproof-Dwarves" Theory:
(Originally floated by Draignean)

The dwarves managed to survive the heat and pressure inherent to being buried under a bajillion tonnes of lava long enough for the magma to solidify and a giant-ass FB made of ice to slam into the planet hard enough to get plate tectonics started up again and subsequently melt, refilling the oceans. Afterwards, the dwarves simply dug themselves out.

The "Trololololol" Theory:
(Originally floated by Mitchewawa)

This isn't directly related to Syrupleaf in any way. The Spawn are here because Armok is a colossal dickhead.

The "Magical-Reset-Button" Theory:
(Originally floated by The Master)

Parasol reset things right before the end.

The "Armok-Is-An-Evil-Beautician" Theory:
(Orginally floated by Terrahex)

Armok rescued Holistic from Syrupleaf's plane and made her pretty again in exchange for borrowing her Spawn for the purposes of ‼FUN‼.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:41:42 pm by Mr Frog »
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

HARD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 04:26:59 pm »

Dorf me please, male soldier

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 04:53:10 pm »

Ok, sorry 'bout that folks. I gotta upload my images, and post my entries. Nodded off during opal, but nothing happened then. And I'll see to it that you're dorf'd you as soon as a prospective soldier crops up, HARD.
Turn to follow.
Alright, as I need to bring in some firewood It'll probably be another hour to 3 before I can get my turn up.
Sorry folks!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 06:16:51 pm »

So far as I can tell, the various nightmare rains/mists are restricted to Neutral Evil and Savage Evil biomes.

Here's hoping that we didn't f*ck up and the barbies aren't freakishly-overpowered invincible engines of death, and that when it inevitably turns out that we did and they are, the current overseer manages to pull things up before the fortress becomes completely unsalvageable (95% unsalvageable is acceptable and somewhat encouraged).

Also, dammit why'd you tell them about the mystery race and their magma resistance, I was so looking forward to the panic and destruction that only an army of perpetually-burning invaders can cause :-\

EDIT: What size world is this? How long is the history? My comp tends to metaphorically go into the fetal position when asked to load anything more than Small w/200 years :-\

EDIT II: I think "quasi-humans" would be a better term for the barbies.

1. Barbarians are fine. It's funny hrowing them off stuff cause they won't pass out from pain on impact.

2. Small region, with the genning ending 54 years premature due to all the majority of titans dying. currently now 201 years.

3. Whatever you wanna call'em is fine.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 07:24:46 pm »

Posting to watch; this is going to be biblical.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 07:44:03 pm »

From the journal of Expedition Leader Splint Lokumeshesh, Overseer of Spearbreakers borderfortress

-This is a cat leather bound journal. All craftsdwarfship is of mediocre quality at best. It is bordered with bands of slate and studded with slate. On the front cover is the name "Splint Lokumeshesh" in slate. On the front cover is an image of crossed pikes behind a shield in slate. On the back cover is an image of an elephant in elephant ivory. The elephant is depicted in a pool of liquid and screaming. The elephant is melting.
1st granite, 254 - arrival
We have arrived, and none too soon. We have brought ample supplies, at least for our small group, and a few extra animals for slaughter. We rested for a day, peering out onto the slightly less wooded plain. Sus said it didn't seem that bad for a terrorzone. I must admit I was expecting eyeball grass or some other nightmare. But we'll see what the rains have to say. In the meantime, I did a rough sketch of the site, and the orders given.

I have Sus and Rodge clearing out space for wood, trade goods, and a depot. I want to get that done and over with. I sent Loud Whispers and Talvieno to chop some tree, while I get Stova and Fischer situated. I intend to have thier training space made as soon as possible.
To ensure efficent mining progress, I have instructed both Rodge and Sus to not stop except to take care of needed functions, such as drinking and eating obviously. I hope to hit stone as soon as possible. I have also ordered additional space be had for whatever may be needed: Furnaces, dyer or soapers shops, whatever.
Rodge and Sus have orders to dig out this space.
The spot of trees i have ordered Loud WHispers and Talvieno to take care of.

I asked Fischer what they were going to call thier squad, and they told me the 'Families of Laboring.' Odd, but whatever floats thier boat. Fischer has assumed the rank of Colonel with Stova as her right hand and currently only subordinate. I saw fit to bring a pair of pikes and mail shirts for them.

4th Granite, 254
It's raining blood in the terrorzone part of the area. Blood. I have yet to see what it does, but it's disgusting all the same. It appears to be the blood of the invaders, these so-called mountain barbarians. it's red like a dwarf's, but thicker and smelling strongly of burnt meat.

8th granite, 254
The rains are annoyingly sporadic but frequent. It starts and stops randomly as if Armok needs to run the barbarians through a juicer individually. It turned out we had parked right inside the zone, so the wagon is getting rained on. No ill effects so far, so it may just be quirky freak weather.

15th Granite, 254
Regular old shitty weather. I'm actually glad. Sus called to us from inside that the pile space for the wood and the workshop space for masons and carpenters is finished. They've begun digging out the depot space.

The finished wood pile. Across is to be the craft/trade goods space, below an addtional space for whatever.

16th Granite, 200?
It seems I have gone mad a touch. I could have sworn it was 254. No matter. We continue as schedualed.

21st Granite, 200
More barbarian blood. Still regular rain, so I guess it cancels. No major effects seem to be in stemming from the barbarian blood, so now it's just a bit disgusting. Depot space nearly finished. I'll have Loud or Tal make some wood blocks so we can make a nice depot.

25th granite, 200
Stova saw a raven and the damned thing pecked at her while she was bringing some wood in. She shooed it away so no harm done.

28th Granite, 200
The month ended uneventfully. Freakish weather aside, all went well.

2nd Slate, 200
The pit crew finally finished the crafting and trade goods spaces. They'll be throwing up some masonry shops ahead of time. "Why wait?" Was Sus' argument. I have ordered adtional shops be made and sent stova to work on making hammers for everyone. We brought alot of pitchblende, so we may as well use it now.

8th Slate, 200
I've decided to use that extra space as an impromptu weapon storeage for all our hammers stova will be making. Fischer has volunteered to take care of making a few things in the carpentry shop so the others may continue to fell trees. She's made the blocks and I have ordered the depot be built.

10th Slate, 200
Seems stova's a natural with stone. In five hours she had five hammers. I'm quite impressed.

15th Slate, 200

Work on the farm level has begun, and we're digging for stone. Stova's churning out hammers faster than we can store them.

The area for our farms. only the halls are being dug at present.

17th Slate, 200
Rodge has reported hitting shale. This will be the residential level. Now we need metals, but that can wait until the farm and pens are dug. I also had to tell stova to stop making hammers, as she was making the damned things quicker than we thought she would, churning out a dozen a day in the last two days.

20th Slate
marked off some spaces for the hens, emu, our pair of sheep and farm plot be dug. Saw a few  wild turkey. Nothing overtly eventful aside from more of that gods-aweful blood rain.

27th Slate, 200
Depot is done. Sheep and emu pens finished. More of this fucking weather. I figured we'd drown in the blood of our enemies, but not by Armok running them through a juicer in the sky. [Author's note: Dwarven juicers are of course giant machines used to grind up hippies and goblins for blood sacrifices to Armok. They're big and powered by blood water wheels.]
Our depot, compsed of a few glumprong blocks.

7th Felsite, 200. Interim entry.
Stova informs me that the families who had pitched in should arrive in the next couple of months. Once we have all the hammers moved, I'm going to put her back on hammer manufacturing detail, if we can spare her from training with Fischer.

11th Felsite, 200
The emu are all inside safely, now we just need the hen plot made and a space for other miscellaneous animals. All things considered, Sus and Rodge are doing nicely with this. Guess that's what you get from layers of clay and sand being so easy to dig through. Best of all, we also have sand, so a glass making industry is possible.

17th Felsite, 200
Loud Whispers threw together an armor stand to be the training area near the barracks. While this means only myself Tal and Loud himself are on hauler duty, it matters little we need good soldiers to train the army after all.

20th Felsite, 200
The farm level is finished. Time to dig out the mess and food storage space and start hunting metals.
I marked this patter out on thier maps for the mess hall and food storage.

22nd Felsite, 200
Training is moving more or less smoothly. And it seems we struck lignite! I may well give eveyone the day off since this may give us a nice source of fuel for the forges.

23rd Felsite, 200
Hematite! Delicious hematite!
There's hope yet. Now if we happen upon flux we'll be in true dwarven business!

1st Hematite, 200
Summer begins and the family Stova spoke of hasn't shown. Got a furniture space dug, and I'll be marking off the communal dormitory when the mess hall and food store is done.

9th Hematite, 200
Sus and Rodge, while digging the dining hall hit pockets of Rose Quartz, Clear Tourmaline, and native gold all within a few feet of eachother! With nothing too horrid yet to cause trouble, this place is turing out to be rather forgiving. I only wish it were a vein of gold and not a cluster. Both the miners have shown scary progress in thier digging, carving out vast swathes in mere hours what took them days to do before.

17th Hematite, 200
Sus dug out a cluster of Carnelians. Training of our Pikedwarves is still going smoothly, if slowly. Considering the institution of the so called "Danger rooms" used by other fortresses when the military expands enough.

18th Hematite, 200
Rodge hit Chrypsoprase, Sus hit gypsum. Dunno which is more valuable, but Whaterver we find, is ours and we'll like it by Armok!

23rd Hematite, 200
Sus dug out a fair bit of Green Tourmalines. Nothing else to really report. I must say, I thought this would be a test of my sanity, esablishing on the edge of the Parasol's cursed expierimental dumping grounds.

This place must be plotting against us, I know it. I wonder if it's normal to hear voices calling while there's no-one present....

27th Hematite, 200
Sus hit yet more gems, Onyx this time. I heard the voices again, saying something about a curse and a tower or some such nonsense. I haven't slept well the last two days, so perhaps it's just sleep depravation getting to me...

6th Malachite, 200
Sus says he feels like a legend after all his hard work. And given his discovering not only  hematite, but a limonite vien as well, I'm inclined to believe him.

16th Malachite, 200
The dining hall is finished but I may punch a hole in the side to get at the limonite in the wall. Talvieno is working on making mechanisms and Loud Whispers asked me to help him set up a stone crafting industry so we'll have some goods to trade come autumn.

17th Malachite, 200
Saw Stova and Fischer sparring. It warms me heart to see them training. How proud they'll make this fortress... I must admit I'm becoming rather taken with Stova lately. Must be her eyes... Or maybe the way she handles that Pike... Hmm.

23rd Malachite, 200
The familiy Stova mentioned months ago has finally come. I'll be screening them for military candidates and any random dwarves they picked up on the way here.

They bore the following names and roles
Mitchewawa Istraemoth, a Glazer.
Bombzero Tistaangir, a skilled miner.
The Master Fikodnam and Draignean Kisezih, old friends and vampiric war veterans, but they seem to have forgotten thier old skills. No matter, Fischer will be happy to retrain them.
Doctormonch, highly skilled furnace operator
A fellow who is adamnt about going by 'Choppa,' a woodworker.
And Stausic Amecshibbi, a jewler.
 I will have Mitchewawa and Stausic start on those rock crafts while the rest work on making blocks, tables, chairs, and beds. Choppa is working on making some training pikes for Draignean and The Master now.

3rd Galena, 200
Rodge hit magnetite while digging out the communal dormitory. I will sacrifice an Emu to you Armok if you let us find flux here.... I heard Fischer comlaining about being on duty so long. She can sit and spin for all I care. I respect the hell out of her for her skills and trade, but I can't let her bitchiness get in the way of us being ready.

14th Galena, 200
Having not realized it wasn't done, i have marked out the food storage. I feel remarkably stupid but as it stands, I may need to get farms running sooner than I'd like.

20th Limestone, 200
Seems a flock of ravens annoyed Fischer enough to warrent an attack on them yesterday. Evidently during training, The Master and one of the birds were more or less engaging in a shouting match until Fischer threw her pike at the thing. Dead on hit, she picked the pike up and proceeded to stab the shit out of it. I've carved four somewhat spacious rooms for the soldiers, and have beds being set up. I've also got orders for my own chambers be dug.

24th Sandstone, 200
My own chambers ar almost done, and funishings for the soldiers are being commissioned. A few migrants arrived, a glassmaker named Rosan, a Combination leatherworker-tailor named weaver, and a former fisherdwarf named kannan. I've assienged them to renovation detail, as it's currently slow going.I'm hoping by winter's end I can get the forges set up just below the trade floor. And if someone can get me a table and some doors made I can finally begin taking stock of the junk in this place.

2nd Timber, 200
My office is finally finished. Now to get the troopers thier own furnishings. They deserve it since they're putting thier lives on the line.

10th Timber, 200
While not fully furnished, the four man squad has thier own rooms. I've ordered a forge of sorts be dug built on the farming level.

15th Timber, 200
The Master is getting back into stride with his training pike. Draignean is taking a little longer sadly, but they'll all be good soldiers in time.

16th Timber, 200
The Master reported seeing wagons on the horizon, so it seems we have visitors. I've ordered our trinkets be brought up, so we shall see if we can't get ahold of some more food and drink, and perhaps some cloth and leather too. I'll have Choppa make a few extra training pikes to trade, as I've seen those things sell like good plump helmet roasts.

Why those nutters decided to go through the entire blood covered plain to get here I'll never know.

22nd Timber, 200
So far we've gotten a few spare barrels a box filled with pigtail cloth and various metal bars, as well as a few peices of armor including shields and a pair of boots. There was a magnificant steel pike decorated with deer hoof that i wanted to get for Stova, but I had to pass in favor of the booze. After the training pikes are made I'll see about getting a box of leather and some silk cloth in case someone becomes... inspired.

5th moonstone, 200
Talvieno was one hard trader. Spent the last week straight bargaining for some silk threads we could make use of, some meat, and a bit of leather. We shifted our last box of mugs, and a weapon crate with a few excess hammers and a training pike.

10th moonstone, 200
I have gotten the foundations laid for the metalworking industry on the farm floor. We have ample iron ores to work with, and enough lignite to surely armor our first four at least.Hopefully Talvieno, whom I have chosen to be my successor as per overseer tradition, can get things sorted while I focus on the records.
The farm-forge, as you can call it.

I've ordered the following from the capital: More dogs, alot of metal bars, lots of limestone for steel, alot of fish, seeds and meat, some leather, cloth, armor, and pikes.
I have also orered a pair of giant Emu from home. They will make fine fighting animals, and alot of drinks.

Honestly, had they not come when they did we would have been in trouble. drink wise. I have also ordered some petrified wood, to make pillars to display prisoners on to give a huge middle finger to both invaders and the elves in one fell swoop.

14th Moonstone
The merchants have begun packing up and dealings with the liason are nearly done. I expect he'll take his leave in a week or so.

15th Moonstone, 200
Seems I was off! He finished up and we can now sit and wait for he spring time elf season. I'm sure the soldiers will enjoy having live targets. Sus finished putting up a drawbridge, so once the merchants leave, I intend to lock us down until the elves come.

6th Opal, 200
Draignean has finally reearned his title of Pikedwarf. I'm proud of'em. Got some fuel, and now to start making coke and an anvil.

21st Obsidian, 200
So little happened in Opal I didn't even need to bother with any entries, save for an anvil being cast and our amount of trade goods exapnding rediculously. Recieved a visit from a kobold thief, spotted by a cat of all things by the main gate [He buggered off before I could get a screenshot] but he bolted so no harm no foul.

23rd Obsidian, 200
Another thief tried to stroll right by one of the soldiers. This should've ended as badly as you'd expect for the little guy.   [The barrel is where the soldier was. I had no idea who he was near and just issued the kill order.]
24th Obsidian, 200
Bit of bad luck, the little shit caught The Master by his foot and got away. kannan volunteered to take care of him though. I've ordered the fortress sealed up. He may end up developing an infection, but I hope it doesn't come to that.

[The Master is the one on the right.]
28th Obsidian, 200
I've locked down the fortress until the elves decide to show, and I'll be handing off my overseeing duties tomorrow. Kannan is setting about trying to patch up The Master and I have a crutch being made just in case. The Forge was done and fuel production is going smoothly [note, there's a graphcal glitch where the bitdge isn't showing while raised. It's there. The pitchblende lever in the furniture shop is linked to it.]

1st granite, 201
And so my time here as overseer ends. Current list of things unfinished:
-Dining hall needs engravings, more tables, and chairs.
-Dogs need to be trained. Recommend assinging two to Fischer, and one to everyone else.
-An emu, the horses, and all the wandering roosters need to be slaughtered.
-still and other food making workshops need to be built.
-Iron smelting needs to be put full swing, forge needs to be built proper.
-Sheering the two adult sheep for sutures and a rope for a well.
-Leathger, gem, and and cloth storage need to be dug.
-Advise using the pond just above the wood store as the communal well.

Here is our current state of affairs:

I hope Talvieno is up to this task, as I will be staying in my office to keep tabs on the stocks unless he needs any advice. However I strongly advised he set the pikedwarves on killing the pointy-eared hippies when they arrive. Let them unload and then have Stova and the others flatten them.
They are undeserving of our mugs. - Following is a crude drawing of of a glowing mug, a dwarf, and an elf. The elf is thnking while holding the mug. The dwarf is laughing.

[So little happened that I was shocked. Here's a good time to the rest of you, save to follow. And The Master, the goal is to not destroy the place utterly. NOT. At least not "Intentionally."]

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 09:12:23 pm »

Wow, one year in and it's already obvious I'll be having an OCPD fit once my turn comes around (The walls! Why are they not exactly 2 tiles thick!? This is heresy!!!). Here's hoping Talvi keeps the streak up.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 09:16:58 pm »

Sent'em the save, all on him now.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 11:32:30 pm »

The streak? Not quite sure what you mean by that, but, I've got the save, I'm going to see what I can do - starting my turn now. You certainly haven't dug very deep, and ...
Holy royal forklift, you haven't even finished the defenses! :o
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2012, 11:45:14 pm »

The streak? Not quite sure what you mean by that, but, I've got the save, I'm going to see what I can do - starting my turn now. You certainly haven't dug very deep, and ...
Holy royal forklift, you haven't even finished the defenses! :o

Hey I got the majority of industries up or have places for them. I ran out of time is all. And at least i walled in the place and raised the drawbridge. Any holes got capped off on the roof too. All is nice and secure until someone decides to unsecure it.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:18 am »

In retrospect you should've embarked on a more... vicious evil biome. Ah well, looking forward to the secret race!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 815