Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2199491 times)

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #10710 on: September 03, 2014, 06:19:40 pm »

Hi guys! ( And gals, if that applies. :-)  )

Torgue

• Bay Watcher
  • Mercenary for Hire
    • View Profile
Re: Spearbreakers - A Tale Of Depression, Pyromania, and Mugs. (34.11, finished)
« Reply #10711 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:56 pm »

Not necessarily.

Dwarves who like to pick fights, have a sense of duty, and are generally adventurous individuals may outright attack intruders without being part of the militia, and even somewhat cowardly individuals will throw caution to the wind if there's a large number of friendly units nearby; my guess being they may take on a mob mentality and try to swarm the intruder with sheer numbers like ants or something, as I have had children lash out at invading mandrills that climbed over a wall in one fort and even managed to kill two of them (three in all, with four others taking the long way. One kid died, the rest of the mandrills ended up on the business end of several bronze swords and copper maces.)

I can concur, I had a notable incident recently where a woodcutter and a metalsmith chased a tiger across the map for a week.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10712 on: September 06, 2014, 04:57:37 pm »

So, I just learned that AseaHeru actually means "Kind/Helpful Lord".
Huh.

Leaf lord is actually AldaHeru...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10713 on: September 06, 2014, 08:30:29 pm »

So, I just learned that AseaHeru actually means "Kind/Helpful Lord".
Huh.

Leaf lord is actually AldaHeru...

And now you are STUCK with the wrong name! Hahahahaha!
Welcome to the club...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10714 on: September 06, 2014, 08:33:14 pm »

Not the wrong name, just a different reason.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10715 on: September 06, 2014, 08:37:22 pm »

Is it odd I want to make the barbarians playable and give them a new name? I can't think of how to go about doing either one though...

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10716 on: September 06, 2014, 08:45:45 pm »

Add playable ones as "evolved barbarians" or something and say that one of the companies did shit to them to get an army.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10717 on: September 06, 2014, 09:04:57 pm »

No, not separate ones, normal mountain barbarians made playable. The new name being more a matter of "what would they call themselves?" Than anything else. I've upped thier advantages slightly, making them hardier in world gen (night trolls won't touch them due to their contamination, procedural toxins won't bother them making them excellent titan/FB hunters,) and as such if I did make them playable I'd need a means to downplay their inherent edges and make them as more than just bigger dwarves that can't be scared, turned into zombies, or killed by poisonous vapors/blood.

Diseases that only afflict them maybe, a set of weapons and armor that take a ton of resources to make (to dissuade using weapon traps at least early on,) and no trap components besides corkscrews and mechanisms to force them into a 'fight or wait them out' mentality and major ranged combat handicaps to discourage using ranged weapons at all since they don't suit the way I want them to be portrayed/played (something needs to be included otherwise hunters/bowyers have an aneurysm I'm sure.)

I have the creatures more or less readied and already plan to add a separate set of weapons and armor for them.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10718 on: September 06, 2014, 09:55:12 pm »

Wait how long ago did this fort die?
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10719 on: September 06, 2014, 10:12:38 pm »

A while ago, but less died and more the equivalent of retired. Between unstoppable soldiers (honed by years of fighting god damn monstrosities and zombie hordes,) FPS steadily getting worse and worse, and players constantly being unable to either start or finish thier turns we decided to fold and bow the fort out of being played (after a nice bloody spring of the final turn of course.) We currently still use the thread for discussing aspects of the fort itself (stories, plotting what to jam into the sequel, modding opportunities, etc.)

Frankly the thread is such a mess I'll be impressed if anyone can organize it anymore at this point.

For example, I'd like to make heavy use of civilization forge elements, particularly xelics good and bad, sand raiders (renamed to Dune Wardens as they are separate from the sand raiders of Syrupleaf,) hobgoblins, and possibly the vamarii, add in various advanced weaponry which I dunno will even work properly, and at least one inherently deranged/incomprehensible race: Either the manamaids or Sequivets. To top it off, there's intent to include roving bands of spawn as 'wild animals,' possibly some crude form of making cyborgs out of injured dwarves, and megaspawn.

Of course the way things are going, a good bit of that may need to be phased out now just so we can survive the first year or two. FUN is all well and good, but it's less fun in the traditional sense if we get slapped with a total party kill multiple times in a row before we can even really get anything accomplished beyond "dig hole in dirt, hide like kobolds." Also next time around I plan on taking care of maintenance myself, because if nothing else I can maintain threads. I also would like to point out that the wiki should probably be rebuilt and the TVTropes page is painfully outdated (or was last time I looked at it.)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10720 on: September 06, 2014, 10:28:34 pm »

A while ago, but less died and more the equivalent of retired. Between unstoppable soldiers (honed by years of fighting god damn monstrosities and zombie hordes,) FPS steadily getting worse and worse, and players constantly being unable to either start or finish thier turns we decided to fold and bow the fort out of being played (after a nice bloody spring of the final turn of course.) We currently still use the thread for discussing aspects of the fort itself (stories, plotting what to jam into the sequel, modding opportunities, etc.)

Frankly the thread is such a mess I'll be impressed if anyone can organize it anymore at this point.

For example, I'd like to make heavy use of civilization forge elements, particularly xelics good and bad, sand raiders (renamed to Dune Wardens as they are separate from the sand raiders of Syrupleaf,) hobgoblins, and possibly the vamarii, add in various advanced weaponry which I dunno will even work properly, and at least one inherently deranged/incomprehensible race: Either the manamaids or Sequivets. To top it off, there's intent to include roving bands of spawn as 'wild animals,' possibly some crude form of making cyborgs out of injured dwarves, and megaspawn.

Of course the way things are going, a good bit of that may need to be phased out now just so we can survive the first year or two. FUN is all well and good, but it's less fun in the traditional sense if we get slapped with a total party kill multiple times in a row before we can even really get anything accomplished beyond "dig hole in dirt, hide like kobolds." Also next time around I plan on taking care of maintenance myself, because if nothing else I can maintain threads. I also would like to point out that the wiki should probably be rebuilt and the TVTropes page is painfully outdated (or was last time I looked at it.)
I don't have much experience with modding, but those ideas seem really cool. The only idea I've ever had for modding was the X-Dwarves mod, which was the result of my binging on the X-Men movies. The premise was that any creature had a chance of becoming a mutant and the powers, abilities, and other changes. This could include changing stats, body composition, abilities etc. Basically, they would vary from changing the weather on command (causing a blizzard to kill an invading army for example), gain control over a certain material, giving them the ability to levitate any objects made of it, manipulate any constructions or buildings made of it, and reshape it at will (for example, if they controlled metal they could pick up an invading army by their metal armor and throw them into the ground), telepathy (controlling other creatures, wether a FB, Goblin invader, or another Dwarf), telekinesis, or controlling temperature, giving them the ability to freeze or burn things at will. The main aspect was that these could easily be used against you. Remember when your legendary Axelord went berserk with his adamantine axe and killed half the fort? This would be worse. Invaders could also be mutants, but the powers would be restricted to Dwarves, Humans, Goblins, and Elves because a mutant FB would be ridiculous. A new type of HFS was planned to counter the mutants (like sentinels).

Then I took one look at the "How to Mod" page of Dwarf Fortress wiki and instantly have up.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10721 on: September 07, 2014, 07:12:50 am »

Yeah, modding can be pretty intimidating with the game. I've only managed some very mangled inorganics I haven't tried to recreate, items, entities, and a very very very bare-bones grasp of reactions. Only creature I've ever made are the barbarians who are basically heavily modified humans (and thus easy as hell to make.)

Other things I want to do include other nobles upgrading similar to the "true" nobles based on the older versions' different nobles (such as the treasurer, governor, and adding in sort of pseudo-knightly orders based on two characters from this fort,) as well as a lesser nobility position intended to be a mix of small squads and accident fodder. It's all do-able but as it stands I haven't tried to recreate anything I've done in ages besides the barbarians.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10722 on: September 07, 2014, 05:45:39 pm »

As far as learning to mod goes, I'd recommend starting with one of the older versions. It's less complex in general and there are fewer opportunities to bugger something up because you forgot some random minor tag somewhere.

Also, it's a good idea to use existing objects as a base until you 100% know what you're doing.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

CaptainMcClellan

• Bay Watcher
  • [WAS_NEVER_HERE][CUBE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10723 on: September 08, 2014, 01:33:56 pm »

How is everyone?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10724 on: September 08, 2014, 01:44:10 pm »

Good question. I'm doing alright as are my projects save for the barbarians who I still need to get off my ass and make an entity file for and get thier weapons and armor sorted.
Pages: 1 ... 713 714 [715] 716 717 ... 815