Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Wait for Next Version, Use current (.40.24,) or use older release (.34.11?)

Wait for the next release. I want usable mugs damn it!
- 55 (71.4%)
We can use the current one. I like the big trees and slightly smarter dorfs.
- 17 (22.1%)
I'll take .34.11 thanks. I want to know I'll get to kill things for sure.
- 5 (6.5%)

Total Members Voted: 77

Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 815

Author Topic: [34.11] Spearbreakers - It shudders and begins to move  (Read 2197577 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Now discussing sequel and other things
« Reply #10815 on: December 09, 2014, 03:59:56 am »

Weird sci-fi subplots are cool, although I think a certain lack of coordination detracted from the overall effect somewhat.

See: That one time where I went off on a tangent without asking everyone else what they were doing and conflicts were created and buttmad occurred

Like I think for SB2 (or any public forts any of us plan to do in the future) we should probably make it a habit of sharing our plans with other writers so that incidents don't happen and tears aren't spilled.

On the topic of SB2, is there any particular reason why it hasn't been started yet?
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10816 on: December 09, 2014, 05:49:51 am »

Stuff hasn't been finished for it mainly, as well as the questionable game stability/buginess and availability of enemy forces.

EDIT: To be specific, like dwarves they have a tendency to get thier asses kicked early on by forgotten beasts, which knocks them out of the game early.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #10817 on: December 09, 2014, 08:00:29 am »

Weird sci-fi subplots are cool, although I think a certain lack of coordination detracted from the overall effect somewhat.
On the topic of SB2, is there any particular reason why it hasn't been started yet?
Spearbreaker's 2 is delayed, nobody knows ware the vapor is.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10818 on: December 09, 2014, 01:18:32 pm »

This is the first of a number of relatively short posts. This one spans the next five or six chapters - all of which I've already written, but not revised or released because of quality concerns.  :-[ This one has a lot more detail in it than future posts of similar nature, just so you know. In fact, as I draw more towards the end of her story, expect plot holes, inconsistencies, bad grammar, etc. I'm not proofreading any of these beyond spelling before I post. :P At this point I have zero confidence in their quality and really just want to stop holding up SBII.

Talvi's Workshop: Vanya's Future, Part 1
(The following is, by definition, pure spoilers.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10819 on: December 10, 2014, 09:21:06 pm »

I personally didn't want a deluge of special-snowflake OCs but they happened anyway.

Oops '^^

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #10820 on: December 10, 2014, 11:25:42 pm »

I personally didn't want a deluge of special-snowflake OCs but they happened anyway.

Oops '^^

Scary thing is yours probably wasn't even the worst :V The weapons were pretty snowflakey and the whole god mythos thing was... odd but as far as I recall the avatars were at least more-or-less normal dwarves beyond, y'know, being living avatars of a higher being.

I honestly kind of take the blame for opening the floodgates on this. Making my character a 700-year-old mad scientist gnome from another timeline who personally oversaw the rerelease of the Spawn back into Everoc was a bit excessive on my part, and I kind of feel like it started a bit of an arms race over whose snowflake could be the speshulest.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10821 on: December 11, 2014, 03:56:53 am »

Resistance to making a retcon so that the whole thing could be wrapped up quickly didn't help matters (that egotistic fuck can put on airs of infallible-ness all he wants, he's bound to make mistakes or have lapses in judgement damn it,) I take full share of blame though since things were in progress at the time and with the whole Sci-Fi thing, I latched right onto that shit, cause I looooooooove excuses to reuse characters from other stories I've had and to make up weapons and such.

In the end, who knows. Maybe just a do-over with some added content might be best.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10822 on: December 11, 2014, 10:55:09 am »

Oops '^^

Scary thing is yours probably wasn't even the worst :V The weapons were pretty snowflakey and the whole god mythos thing was... odd but as far as I recall the avatars were at least more-or-less normal dwarves beyond, y'know, being living avatars of a higher being.

I honestly kind of take the blame for opening the floodgates on this. Making my character a 700-year-old mad scientist gnome from another timeline who personally oversaw the rerelease of the Spawn back into Everoc was a bit excessive on my part, and I kind of feel like it started a bit of an arms race over whose snowflake could be the speshulest.
I'm partially at fault too, with Vanya being the only elf living in a dwarven fortress, mind-controlled by the "big bad" himself... instead of one of his underlings, which now strikes me as odd, but perhaps it was back before he'd gained much of a following? Still doesn't work well.  :-\ Then I tried making a reference to Splint's Vampire Wars in the form of "vampiric blades", and that just seemed stupidly over-the-top after I'd had it down on paper.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10823 on: December 11, 2014, 12:33:03 pm »

The blades I found pretty nice (found "artifacts" some contractor dropped or stolen weapons are their most likely real origin,) and elves, humans, and others are actually fairly common in other cultures besides their own and snatchers, depending on the world, to the point it can make finding a battle in progress confusing in the new version as to who you're supposed to help, if anyone.

And on that note, those populations even in smaller numbers can end up spread out, resulting in as few as a five or six nondwarves in a population of hundreds in a given fortress, so if anything, Vanya's presence by herself or with only one or two other elves would have actually been considered fairly typical, rather than unusual.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #10824 on: December 14, 2014, 03:38:45 pm »

Hey, if you guys can put everything into a single continuity (as opposed to an continuity and a half) I'll probably end up trying to draw a storyboard of some sort. Incentive or reason to throw me onto the spike bridge during a Necromancer/Spawn Conflict Siege?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Starweaver396

• Bay Watcher
  • Misplaced
    • View Profile
« Reply #10825 on: December 21, 2014, 12:58:49 am »

This is the first of a number of relatively short posts. This one spans the next five or six chapters - all of which I've already written, but not revised or released because of quality concerns.  :-[ This one has a lot more detail in it than future posts of similar nature, just so you know. In fact, as I draw more towards the end of her story, expect plot holes, inconsistencies, bad grammar, etc. I'm not proofreading any of these beyond spelling before I post. :P At this point I have zero confidence in their quality and really just want to stop holding up SBII.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Just my thoughts on it.

Edit... Spoiler?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:40:03 pm by Starweaver396 »
...a limbless, headless, bloodless and mutilated dwarf torso that is nevertheless kept alive through benevolent faerie magicks. He is blind, helpless, and in excruciating pain, and yet does not die...
E: I should point out that this is all because of Starweaver giving me inspiration   Aren't you happy with yourself, Starweaver?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Do-over or sequel?
« Reply #10826 on: December 30, 2014, 08:53:54 pm »

Alright guys, so I have found myself wondering what to do about SBII. When development hits another long cycle, I'd like to get the show on the road, but there's a matter of how to go about it.

Sequel: This is what everyone's expecting, but it's pretty clear those of us with the bare ability to mod.... Anything really, are kinda halfhearted in our efforts. Plus it'd take more work to get things ready, and militarily chaos and violence might be fewer and far between or burn out completely if we somehow kill everyone.
  • Several creatures need updating.
  • Workshops still need to be made.
  • Various weapons need updating.
  • In general steps must be taken to ensure continuity.
  • Castes for at least dwarves
  • Will still probably have some semblance of a sci-fi plot attached either by accident or intentionally, which many late-arrivals disliked because it made things harder to follow.

Do-over: A chance to essentially get a fresh start with a new name and try to stick closer to the continuity of Syrupleaf and Headshoots. This takes far, far less effort to set up since there would only be a few modifications.
  • Spawn and Barbarians are complete, more or less. The Spawn could still do with having thier force composition more varied.
  • Weapon and armor revamp which is easily done via Stal's Armory.
  • Can avoid the special snowflake effect that sent us down a horrid trail of madness and magic and crossovers galore that weren't necessarily a good thing.
  • Any other modifications are easily done, being mainly relegated to entity changes, descriptions, or maybe an additional enemy pulled from elsewhere.
  • No need to worry about "old" canon.
  • To reiterate, the sci-fi/magic subplots can be avoided.

Now obviously there's pros and cons to both, partly listed above.
A Do-over gives us a clean slate and allows us to more directly call forth to the old stories, but has the drawback of making much of the efforts here feel wasted in a big way.
Meanwhile a sequel gives us an establish canon of sorts to work from and gives us an excuse to have all kinds of advanced weaponry, but will take longer to do unless we bunker down and get all the shit we wanted to do done and carries the legacy of the harder to follow parts of Spearbreakers, parts late-comers weren't too fond of (Sci-fi stuff, prayer magic, aliens, and other stuff that would be possible but really would turn preparation into an almost Total Conversion-like endeavor and for some things require DFhack to function, such as being able to build battlesuits that provide tangible benefits.) Personally, I'm in favor of a do-over because it'd be much easier to manage and get going and require very little modding unless a new enemy was added and spawn modified to include degenerates and whatnot.

But ultimately it comes to you guys, you who dared set foot on the border of the sinister bloodplains beside me, and begin this story at all. If we go for a do-over, I can get things rolling probably within the next week to a month. Sequel will take far longer because there's multiple people needed to manage different things (I can do weaponry, basic reactions, and entity stuff, but creatures are beyond me for example.) Regardless of the poll outcome though, I'll be doing things right and making sure to keep track of everything myself this time around like I should've here for the sake of making things easy to follow.

May the the gods guide your votes and posts true beardkin.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: [34.11] Spearbreakers - Sequel or Do-over?
« Reply #10827 on: December 30, 2014, 09:30:04 pm »

Sequel is required.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10828 on: December 31, 2014, 12:03:16 pm »

If we do a do-over I just figured out what to do for a possible new enemy, and pay homage to this place.

Vampiric Empire Remnants
Large numbers of these bastards managed to survive the collapse and conquest of thier empire, and now roam the countryside in medium to large groups, putting on airs of still being in power when they are now little more than bandits. With society at large now well aware of thier tricks, they have largely abandoned trying infiltration, though some may still make the attempt to varying degrees of success.

This means vampiric empire bandits may try to attack the place or blunder into it, and enabling vampires in a limited capacity (basically relatively low at around 3-4 possible curses - we might get one or two, or none at all.) Granted I'd have to lern 2 castes but still.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10829 on: December 31, 2014, 04:30:08 pm »

I loved spearbreakers 1, but as people have said, I was so overwhelmed by the volume of side-stories that I just skipped past them all to see what fresh horrors the overseer had dredged out of the fort. The ones I did read were bloody well-written though.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright
Pages: 1 ... 720 721 [722] 723 724 ... 815